+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, THIN CLIENT LICENSING in Technical; I currently have 335 pcs and was looking at getting a schools agreement to cover these pc OS and office. ...

Thank Post

THIN CLIENT LICENSING

I currently have 335 pcs and was looking at getting a schools agreement to cover these pc OS and office. I also have sophos endpoint installed and i would have needed to get 335 licenses for antivirus as well

In the summer I plan to migrate 200 pc's to thin clients using terminal services but am unsure if i then need to licence these 200 pcs as they wont have an OS installed on them and will not require sophos as it will be installed on the server they are connecting to.

Could i just get the schools agreement to cover 135 pcs, sophos licenses to cover 135 pcs and then purchase terminal server cals for the 200 thin clients?

All terminal servers will also be licensed..

Thank Post
    The terminal server CAL will cover your thin clients so you won't need a Windows CAL for them. I assume that you won't be just converting PC's to thin clients but buying thin client devices.

Thank Post
    @pwaddington: You need to license all your access devices under the Schools Agreement and probably under your Sophos agreement too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    so you won't need a Windows CAL for them.
    For thin clients you need a TS CAL and a Server CAL. Thats what i was told anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I went through this discussion a while back.
    The outcome is:

You need licenses for each device. This license was a TS CAL, office license, server device cal, and a desktop OS license for us - as it looks at the total devices when using schools agreement. We asked a few licensing resellers, and they all came back with the same response.

Thank Post
    If you're going to be using TS then license all devices using the MS VDI Premium suite. This includes the TS CAL but is actually cheaper to license than the TS CAL on it's own.

If you want to use VDI then you'll also need to license VECD for at least the Thin Client devices. Licensing for VDI Prem + VECD worked out at around £1/device/year on schools agreement. If you want to allow remote access don't forget to include the student CALs for VECD and VDI which work out at about another 50p/student/year.

Edit:
    Of course you still need the server CALs, Office licenses etc that have been mentioned previously. The licensing I've mentioned is what you need to license to use TS/RDS and/or VDI.
    Last edited by Soulfish; 15th March 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The outcome is:

You need licenses for each device. This license was a TS CAL, office license, server device cal, and a desktop OS license for us - as it looks at the total devices when using schools agreement. We asked a few licensing resellers, and they all came back with the same response.

You need a Windows OS licence even for devices incapable of running Windows like an Axel unit? That's not what I was told.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    You need a Windows OS licence even for devices incapable of running Windows like an Axel unit? That's not what I was told.
    The devices we have here are HP thin clients and Samsung thin clients, this is what I asked each company and each one came back with the same response from Microsoft supposedly.

Thank Post
    Under a schools agreement you can only have 1 desktop count. Means that if you want to license CALs, Office and Windows but you have some thin clients you have to license them for Windows as well or purchase their licensing for Office etc separately

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your replies and bigger thanks to microsoft for having me/us over a barrel!

Thank Post
    It's my understanding (and experience!) that you need a CAL and a TS CAL for thin clients. With regard to Sophos, I tried only licensing our TS servers, but was told that we needed a licence for every Thin Client as well - I thought that would be the case, but it doesn't hurt to ask!!!

Thank Post
    I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that the reason that MS came up with the TS CAL was to make up for the fact that a thin client wouldn't have a Windows licence so they would loose out, thus the invention of yet another unnecessary licence.

So let me get this straight before I ring our licence supplier. You need a Windows OS licence (even though you can't install it on the device, a Terminal Server CAL and also a Citrix CAL (if you use it) Good grief that’s like charging me road tax for using the bus.

We have WinCE devices and Linux devices but also the proprietry AXEL devices I can't see how they can get away with making you buy an OS licence for these
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 15th March 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that the reason that MS came up with the TS CAL was to make up for the fact that a thin client wouldn't have a Windows licence so they would loose out, thus the invention of yet another unnecessary licence.

So let me get this straight before I ring our licence supplier. You need a Windows OS licence (even though you can't install it on the device, a Terminal Server CAL and also a Citrix CAL (if you use it) Good grief that’s like charging me road tax for using the bus.
    As far as I'm aware you don't need a Windows OS license for a Thin Client. You do need a Windows Server CAL however, as well as the TS CAL.

The confusion may be coming from the schools agreement talk. Because a schools agreement is very rigid in it's licensing terms if you want to license 100 copies of Office through it and then you want to also license Windows you have to license 100 copies. You can't mix and match numbers, so with a schools agreement you tend to over license when it comes to thin clients (because of the server CALs, office licensing etc) and so the thin clients end up with windows licenses as well.

I hope that made some sense :P

14. Thanks to Soulfish from:

dhicks (15th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    How much of a while back? I seem to remember (although I might have just imagined it) some headline about Microsoft changing the terms of it's Schools Agreement licensing so you didn't have to count every PC in the building "capable of running Windows" (including Linux boxes that didn't have anything to do with Windows). I can't remember any more details than that, although ti might just worth asking licesning providers again just incase something's changed in the last 6 months or so.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When we spoke to MS we were told that it did not require an actual OS licence as there is a loophole that they are working on.

When doing your desktop count the way it is written is "physical" desktops, and as they aren't "physical" desktops they dont count

Might of changed now i would of thought as they said it would not be long, but thought i would mention it

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast