+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, BBC iPlayer Licencing in Technical; Hi, Are there any licensing implications for schools that want to show their pupils content from iPlayer? We have a ...
    Thank Post

BBC iPlayer Licencing

Hi,

Are there any licensing implications for schools that want to show their pupils content from iPlayer? We have a few members of staff who want to show programs on the Whiteboard for use in lessons, such things as popular soaps in Drama lessons etc.

Do schools need a public broadcast licence to do this?

D

Thank Post
    The full T&Cs are here: BBC - BBC iPlayer - Help - What are the terms and conditions for BBC iPlayer?

Further to that you should speak to the BBC for a definitive answer, since none of us (TMK) are lawyers.

Thank Post
    Thanks PowdarMonkey.

Thank Post
    Not to attempt to, or assist any other person to, copy, reproduce, lend, hire, broadcast, distribute or transmit in any other way the BBC Content in whole or in part other than by using the "Link to this Feature"or as permitted in these Terms or to circumvent or remove the digital rights security measures embedded in the BBC Content;

What does this say to you that it's not allowed, are they broadcasting to an audience?

Thank Post
    You should be covered by your LEA, as the video is used for educational reasons etc...

Thank Post
    the LEA should pay for your ERA.. But if its click View then you need a ERA+ ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    the LEA should pay for your ERA.. But if its click View then you need a ERA+ ..
    What's an ERA, all I can find is references to Baseball?

D
    Last edited by danrhodes; 10th March 2010 at 07:51 AM.

Thank Post
    ERA Home

Google: Era Licence

Hope that helps...

Thank Post
    I'll come in here as well....Our Head of Geography wants to use some programs that BBC have recently been showing. I am 99.7% sure that we have the ERA+ license, but how can we stop the DRM downloading the rights after the 28 day expiration? Is it something to contact BBC about?

Cheers

Edit: Found what I am looking for. Looks like iPlayer isn't covered by the ERA+ license

source: http://www.era.org.uk/FAQ.html

Can I record on-demand services?

On-demand services, i.e. where the viewer or listener actively chooses the viewing or listening time or content of individual programmes as part of that service, are not considered to be broadcasts under the Act and are therefore covered neither by the an ERA licence nor by any part of Section 35.

There are different types of on-demand services (e.g. podcasts). Where the terms and conditions for reception of the service permit customers to record programmes for subsequent viewing, care needs to be taken to ensure that any recording or subsequent educational use does not go beyond private non-commercial recording permitted by those terms and conditions.

Broadcast programme services delivered via the internet, where the provider or broadcaster offers a range of fixed viewing times for the viewer to select from, are not on-demand services and may be recorded.

Non-scheduled internet transmissions are not broadcasts and are not covered by the Licence.
    Last edited by Pumaedition; 21st April 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: answered own question

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Under ERA+ you can video the broadcast as it happens and then digitise it for use when required, but iPlayer has restrictions due to the general nature of the T&Cs which mean you cannot archive iPlayer content. Presently there is no way around this other than to video tape the original broadcast (or digitally record) it as it happens. The same restriction apply to content on ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 offerings.

You may purchase some of the content which is produced at a later date as a DVD and then use that DVD to show to the students under PVSL (you have to show the original DVD, not rip the DVD and show the mpeg).

Thank Post
    As more and more staff adjust their viewing habits to be using on demand services, it's becoming rarer for them to spot something they want us to record before it has broadcast. We're looking at just recording everything, keep for a few days and just keep what gets requested. We were going to do a DIY route at first, but have found an off the shelf setup called eStream that does exactly this in a very attractive package.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Does clickview live let you records programs as well as stream them?

ClickView Live | Watch TV, DVDs and VHS tapes via any computer in the school

edit: wrong thing, its this one:

http://www.clickview.co.uk/247/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Does clickview live let you records programs as well as stream them?
    Yes. I had a look at their system at the BETT show, and it seemed quite impressive - it can record 6 channels at the same time, storing all footage for a week or two ready for a teacher to come along and say "Can I get that program about cheese from BBC1 last Thursday...". It did seem a bit pricey for what is basically three TV receiver cards and some harddrives stuffed in to a case, so I'd look at making your own first.

--
    David Hicks

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    We're looking at a package from OneLan for digital signage on our new campus, and one of the options they have included is for a digital PVR function that records all the TV channels you choose to receive for the past week or so on a "scratch" volume, and transfers any you want to keep to a library. The kit seems quite good from what I've seen far and the people are quite switched on and "aware" of the education market.

Can't comment on price as that's commercially sensitive data and we're also opting for a lot more than "just" the PVR components.
    Last edited by Roberto; 1st June 2010 at 10:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Yes. I had a look at their system at the BETT show, and it seemed quite impressive - it can record 6 channels at the same time, storing all footage for a week or two ready for a teacher to come along and say "Can I get that program about cheese from BBC1 last Thursday...". It did seem a bit pricey for what is basically three TV receiver cards and some harddrives stuffed in to a case, so I'd look at making your own first.

--
    David Hicks
    It is expensive but then again when you consider it's a neat all-in-one solution to be able to record 2 weeks worth of 6 channels, edit/store them indefinitely and play them back on any PC throughout the entire school the price tag isn't too bad IMO. Especially when you conisder that iplayer only lets you watch programs for a couple of weeks and educational videos/DVDs tend to be very expensive to buy aswell.

Worth mentioning that our teaching staff really like it aswell!

16. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

australiana (8th June 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast