+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, BBC iPlayer Licencing in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook You may purchase some of the content which is produced at a later date as a ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You may purchase some of the content which is produced at a later date as a DVD and then use that DVD to show to the students under PVSL (you have to show the original DVD, not rip the DVD and show the mpeg).
    Apologies to OP for hijacking this thread and going a bit off track. We have recently been copying old tapes and DVDs to the network for staff to use in lessons, particularly tapes that are getting a bit worn! I've taken the view that as long as they have the original safely stored it's okay. But as time has gone on, (and reading Grumbledooks post) I'm wondering if I'm wrong on this....
    I'm trying to find a definitive answer, but have not found one yet!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @joe90bass you are correct in thinking that this is not allowed. If you have an old resource which was purchased (and subsequently has copyright notices on, etc from a particular publisher) then the best you can do is to get in touch with that publisher and see if they have it in an alternative format or if they have any objection to you digitising it.

I know it is not the answer most people want (especially teachers who like these old but good resources and never considered having to purchase them again) but that's the way things are from all my conversations with publishers.

3. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

joe90bass (1st June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just out of interest, is there a case on record of a school being charged with breach of copyright (that wasnt software related) ?

Thank Post
    For those interested there is a growing collection of short video resources taken from (mainly Leaning Zone transmissions) BBC progs here: BBC - Learning Zone Broadband Class Clips - Homepage

If memory servers the Brit Uni Film and Video council (British Universities Film & Video Council) have been recording material under their ERA license for years, so other than the issues around supplying material on physical media (read the ERA docs for full details) they might have much of the material you are after, although I don't know what they might charge for access. The other half remembered resource I think was JISC (JISC : Supporting education and research), I think they have an account with BBC Worldwide's Motion Gallery (generally a bit expensive for most schools) for access to footage, so worth asking if your LEA is part of that. Sorry I can't remember the details!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Just out of interest, is there a case on record of a school being charged with breach of copyright (that wasnt software related) ?
    Yes, ranging from the prevention of school plays going ahead due to injunctions through to schools having to pay companies for use of stock images they did not have the right to use on their website. Frequently settled out of court ...

7. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

RabbieBurns (7th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Further to that you should speak to the BBC for a definitive answer, since none of us (TMK) are lawyers.
    Thought I'd bat a quick mail over to their support addresses asking if I could use iPlayer within a teaching context in a UK state school, this was the response:

"I understand you’d like to be able to show a BBC programme from BBC iPlayer in a state school.
    You may show programmes from BBC iPlayer within the allotted time period and as long as it is not used for commercial use."
    A positive start I'd say, given the T&C seem to suggest only personal usage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12