+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft Office terminal server license in Technical; Hi All, I've got the following Microsoft Office 2007 software and I just wonder which one is the corect one ...

Thank Post

Question Microsoft Office terminal server license

Hi All,

I've got the following Microsoft Office 2007 software and I just wonder which one is the corect one or at least can be modified for successful install in Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server through Remote Desktop ?

1. Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise
    2. Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business Edition (No MS Access)
    3. Microsoft Office 2007 from OEM Preinstallation Kit (so many DVD but don't know which one is correct one for installing under Terminal server).

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Enterprise is the one we use, but 2003 had no luck with 2007! i'll be interested to see you can get it fully up and running....

3. Thanks to RichB from:

albertwt (5th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Any of them should work as long as you install the ts bit first then office however i think i recall you need a license for every potential user of the system not just the concurrent ones?

Wes

5. Thanks to wesleyw from:

albertwt (5th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    Any of them should work as long as you install the ts bit first then office however i think i recall you need a license for every potential user of the system not just the concurrent ones?

Wes
    yes that's right wesley, I was using Office 2007 Enterprise with no problem and activated but ever since I setup the Terminal service it stop working :-|

now I'm looking for the Office 2007 (Any version) Volume license to get it installed and hopefully i can perform upgrade when Office 2010 is finally released.

Thank Post

Wes
    Hi Wes,

I was thinking to get only the MS Word and Excel for the TS instead of the whole suite ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right I think there's a few licensing options Desktop licensing for one cheap but a yearly cost. You could get this just for a few office packages instead however I'd look at Go Open Office as this can read and write Office 2007 files (smaller saved files as well for some reason)

9. Thanks to wesleyw from:

albertwt (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Right I think there's a few licensing options Desktop licensing for one cheap but a yearly cost. You could get this just for a few office packages instead however I'd look at Go Open Office as this can read and write Office 2007 files (smaller saved files as well for some reason)
    You're right Wesley it is better to go with Open Office just for this small task.

I wonder if it is OK to install MS Office in the normal Windows Server 2003 (no terminal service configured) so no more than two active session at one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by albertwt View Post
    You're right Wesley it is better to go with Open Office just for this small task.

I wonder if it is OK to install MS Office in the normal Windows Server 2003 (no terminal service configured) so no more than two active session at one.
    The problem is that it is the *connecting* machine that requires an Office license, not the server itself. If it's not used by a local session on a terminal server, the server doesn't even need an office license.

There are no concurrency options for office, no per user, just per machine.

12. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

albertwt (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    The problem is that it is the *connecting* machine that requires an Office license, not the server itself. If it's not used by a local session on a terminal server, the server doesn't even need an office license.

There are no concurrency options for office, no per user, just per machine.
    So is there an option to allow students to access MS Office software from whatever device they may be using without licensing them all?

We'd like to give students access to the school desktop experience from home (or their gran's, or Dad's laptop or the internet café or the PC at the library or their smart phone) so licensing per device is not a viable option.

Accessing a VM remotely would allow us to control the number of concurrent accesses by limiting the number of VMs but even this would mean that they are accessing office software from their device not the VM.

If you need a license for every PC you "use" or "access" the software from then surely by using logmein or similar you need another license for each PC you use?

Terminal services delivering just the application, not the whole desktop would be a more efficient use of resources (internet bandwidth in particular) but I've not found out how MS intend schools to license software delivered this way which is surprising as they are normally jumping to force their software at their future market whilst it is still impressionable.

Everyone I've spoken to says you need a license per device that the user interacts with office from. ie not concurrent use, not devices with the software installed.

Help!

CJ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread