+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 HOME & STUDENT WIN32 3 USER LICENSE - RETAIL in Technical; Can anyone give a yes or no can they use this in school? MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 HOME & STUDENT WIN32 ...
    Thank Post

MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 HOME & STUDENT WIN32 3 USER LICENSE - RETAIL

Can anyone give a yes or no can they use this in school? MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 HOME & STUDENT WIN32 3 USER LICENSE. I've told this school that they can not but they disagree.
    cheers.

Thank Post
    Yes but a standard educational licence is a third of the price so why would you want to?

Thank Post
    No it can't:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...655301033.aspx

Are there license restrictions to Office Home and Student 2007?

Yes. Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households. It cannot be used in commercial (business) situations.

Thank Post
    If you are ever unsure of installing software on the network as provided by a member of staff, always ask them to provide the licence that goes with it for you to photocopy. That way if they cant provide the necessary licence it doesn't go on the network. This tends to be the stance I take and most people are happy with that. You will always have the few who grumble but then it's not their respsonsibility to look after licences covering the school.

And as the link that teejay provides states "Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households" this should be on the licence they are providing allowing you to point out that you cant install it.
    Last edited by penfold; 24th February 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Thank Post
    We were recommended by a supplier to use it but when I queried it further I found that you couldn't.

Thank Post
    When I looked at the licence agreement, I was impression that you can only use it if you are at home or a student. So not for use in schools, any government agencies or business.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households. It cannot be used in commercial (business) situations.
    Is a school a business? I guess it couldn't be considered a husehold either. Anyway, as I said earlier....why would you want to buy this when you can buy an MS Office Standard Educational licence for about £25? Home & Student version is £99!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Is a school a business? I guess it couldn't be considered a husehold either.
    Yes, we're a registered business (although I think that is a quirk of being an independent school). That aside, a school is certainly a lot closer to a business than it is a household. If you start arguing that schools aren't commercial businesses because they don't make money, you could start suggesting that companies who are going bust could also use it since they're also not making money :-)

Also, in the link which teejay provides above, it says "Office Home and Student 2007 provides home computer users and students..." which I take to mean students as in those at university, rather than those under-16 and in full-time schooling (students, as distinct from pupils).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    If you are ever unsure of installing software on the network as provided by a member of staff, always ask them to provide the licence that goes with it for you to photocopy. That way if they cant provide the necessary licence it doesn't go on the network. This tends to be the stance I take and most people are happy with that. You will always have the few who grumble but then it's not their respsonsibility to look after licences covering the school.

And as the link that teejay provides states "Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households" this should be on the licence they are providing allowing you to point out that you cant install it.
    That's how it is at my place of work but looks like they just put stuff on willy nilly at this school, it's just a one off job, but I would hate to get them into bother with the M$ police. So I'll not be doing that part of it. Many thanks chaps. Ozzy

Thank Post
    This is a grey area and even MS Licensing experts get confused. I spent 20 mins on the phone with Microsoft over this and the answer changed after putting me on hold.

Microsoft official response (Microsoft licensing helpline 08448002400 call reference 100305009166015) is that they can NOT be used in school as they are a home use license only.

An education license on the other hand does not cover student use at home.

The only license that covers both (according to MS) is a commercial license!

Wow - this means that most of the schools I know with student laptop schemes are potentially unlicensed! Nice one Microsoft. How to win friends and influence people.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread