+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Software that comes with text books in Technical; Hi Guys, I need a little guidance here please? Not sure if this is directly related to licencing so feel ...
    Thank Post

Software that comes with text books

Hi Guys,

I need a little guidance here please? Not sure if this is directly related to licencing so feel free to move to another forum

I had a teacher call me today to ask if I could copy a CD that accompanies one of their textbooks to the network for the kids to access during lesson with laptops. So I say "no problem, just show me the piece of paper that states it is ok to use as a network resource"...

So he reads to me from the textbook words to the effect of "For private use or single user within the institution".

Therefore copying to the network is not going to happen

So, I suggested he call the author and find out if they can make an exception, and get them to forward me an email to that effect - I would then copy the disc to the network for him. To which his huffy response was "oh I don't have time for that/can't be bothered with that" I'll find some other way. I also suggested he could use a computer room and use the discs in the PCs which he didn't want to do, as he wanted to stay in his own classroom.

I have now found out that he copied the files to the network share himself (which he has access to do so, as it was the network share that the kids use for submitting work and resources) without telling me. No email or phone call to say they said it was ok. nothing!

So what would you guys do? Just remove the files and say nothing? Refer up to line manager? Cut his balls of with a rusty spoon?

Guidance and opinions please!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would block access to the file using permissions then send an e-mail to yours and his line manager. On the e-mail just quote what you put here.

Thank Post
    I would remove the files, and explain to him, his Head of Department and SLT why you did it.

While there is no doubt questionable stuff on all our networks which we don't know about, I don't think we can do nothing once we do find them.

Textbook CDs are a nightmare, as some permit site-wide use, and some don't. Getting staff to understand this is another nightmare! I had one recently which allowed for a) all users of one PC, or b) one person on any PC. How are you meant to enforce the second of those?!

Thank Post
    Technically you're right and he's wrong, so you do have to escalate this to line management I'd say. On the other hand, if you bought several of the text books, and therefore own several of the licences, you might not actually be infringing the meaning of the licence in any real way. The "single use" clause seems pretty clear, I agree, but if you only ever use as many instances as you own textbooks, my guess is that the author would not mind.

The actual facts though are that this teacher blatantly disobeyed your instructions, and has put the school into a position of acting outside the written wording of the licence, and so I'm afraid must be put right.

Thank Post
    enjay, I really love your Avatar picture by the way. That's brilliant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Textbook CDs are a nightmare, as some permit site-wide use, and some don't. Getting staff to understand this is another nightmare! I had one recently which allowed for a) all users of one PC, or b) one person on any PC. How are you meant to enforce the second of those?!
    I've got one of my desk that's been knocking about for three months. I asked the teacher if he had the license. He produced a text book, I ask if there was a delivery note of invoice that says what we're entitled to. Enventualy he found one but it didn't have the right information.

I the end I phoned the publishers, now I know these companies primarily produce books not software. But when the only person available on the phone doesn't understand what I mean when I ask 'Do we have a site license or is it just for use on a single computer?' they're doing something wrong.

Thank Post
    Remove the files, revoke write access until the dispute is settled and involve line management (urgently, since by now the kids have probably been told where to find it and so will be relying on it being there, which it won't be when you nuke it).

edit: and of course, notify the individual in question that it's happening. It's only polite
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 17th February 2010 at 12:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    On the other hand, if you bought several of the text books, and therefore own several of the licences, you might not actually be infringing the meaning of the licence in any real way. The "single use" clause seems pretty clear, I agree, but if you only ever use as many instances as you own textbooks, my guess is that the author would not mind.
    I see where you're coming from, but to give an example, the software accompanying the Edexcel AS/A2 Science, ActiveBook, specifically says it cannot be shown on a projector and is only for home computers; schools wishing to use it in class must BUY ActiveTeach instead. Based on this, I would always check before using a "textbook CD" in class, even though we've bought one book per student.

Thank Post
    I'd do exactly what FN-GM suggested.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread