+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Unlimited Windows Virtualization right in Technical; Hi All, Can anyone here clarify or share the knowledge in getting the Unlimited Virtualization right for All Windows Virtual ...

Thank Post

Question Unlimited Windows Virtualization right

Hi All,

Can anyone here clarify or share the knowledge in getting the Unlimited Virtualization right for All Windows Virtual machine by just getting "Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition" according to the number of CPU socket ?

I'm about to get the License for my current VMware ESXi host so that i can deploy any version of Windows (XP, 7, Server 2003-2008) as many as possible after getting the license once off only (not paying annually every 3 years - MS Open Value ?)

Any suggestion and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post

Datacenter VM's

Hi,

One of the benefits of getting Windows Server Datacenter edition is that it gives unlimited virtualization rights on the physical host. You're right that it is licensed per socket.

There's nothing extra that needs to be done in the way of activating this benefit or anything...you are simply free to create as many VM's as your hardware can handle :-)

If you want to buy the perpetual licence as a one off, then Open Licensing (OLP) is the best way to do it.

Any questions, let me know.

Cheers
    Rich

3. Thanks to Richfrombechtle from:

albertwt (24th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Depending on the number of sockets and VMs it can be cheaper to get multiple Enterprise licenses mind.

If you're running ESX, I doubt you have more than 2 CPUs (since you will need multiple ESX licenses then). If you have 2 hosts each running 4 VMs and you use LiveMotion (I think that's the VMWare term) then you will need 2 Enterprise licenses per server so that all 8 VMs can be run on a single host at once. IIRC, this works out cheaper than 4 datacenter licenses.

Of course the other option is to buy loads of single Standard licenses but that's more expensive!

5. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Depending on the number of sockets and VMs it can be cheaper to get multiple Enterprise licenses mind.

If you're running ESX, I doubt you have more than 2 CPUs (since you will need multiple ESX licenses then). If you have 2 hosts each running 4 VMs and you use LiveMotion (I think that's the VMWare term) then you will need 2 Enterprise licenses per server so that all 8 VMs can be run on a single host at once. IIRC, this works out cheaper than 4 datacenter licenses.

Of course the other option is to buy loads of single Standard licenses but that's more expensive!
    Isnt ESXi the free version ?

7. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Isnt ESXi the free version ?
    It's midnight and I mis-read!

Other than me, who's likely to be running 4-processor virtualisation hosts?

9. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Thank Post

Svr Pricing

Based on this month's Open licence pricing, a processor licence of Datacenter is around 38 more than a server licence of Enterprise.

If you have 2 hosts each running 4 VMs and you use LiveMotion (I think that's the VMWare term) then you will need 2 Enterprise licenses per server so that all 8 VMs can be run on a single host at once
    This means a total of 4 Enterprise licences are needed at a rough corporate cost of:

1871 x 4 = 7484

The alternative, buying 4 Datacenter processor licences, would be (again a rough corporate cost):

1908 x 4 = 7632

so 148 more expensive.

However, as soon as you need to run 1 more VM (to give a total of 9) Datacenter becomes cheaper.

If you're running at up near 8 VM's on a single host, or 4 VM's on 2 hosts with Live Motion, it would be a much better idea to spend that little bit extra and future proof yourself. Otherwise, as your virtual estate expands it will keep costing more.

Cheers
    Rich

11. Thanks to Richfrombechtle from:

Thank Post
    It is correct that Windows Data Centre on 2008 entitles you to use Hyper-V with as many virtual hosts as you want. Note, though, that this will mean you are now running Server2008 in the enterprise so you will need 2008 cals on all your desktops. It is also difficult to run Hyper-V without MSVCC which is priced per host.
    Free VMWare does not provide V-Motion or great things like High Availability. ESX is priced per physical processor.
    Don't forget, though, that if, say, you needed 4 physical hosts then that means 8 in Hyper-V (it uses Windows clustering) but only 5 in VMWare as it just needs a spare.
    Another option would be Citrix Xenserver which is free and provides Xenmotion (i.e. vMotion on the Xen) but not HA - that comes with Xen essentials which you purchase per host. Again, 4 hosts would only need 1 spare.
    Greg

13. Thanks to gregctaylor from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post

If you have 2 hosts each running 4 VMs and you use LiveMotion (I think that's the VMWare term) then you will need 2 Enterprise licenses per server so that all 8 VMs can be run on a single host at once. IIRC, this works out cheaper than 4 datacenter licenses.
    Last time I got a quote for DataCenter (Academic Select Agreement) it was the same price as the Enterprise Edition. Although DC is licensed per processor you have to purchase a minimum of 2 processors. If you are running between 5-8 VM's then Datacenter and Enterprise are the same price. If you are running more than 8 VM's then DC is a no brainer.

That's based on upto 2 SPU sockets. If you are running a quad-socket system then it maybe a different story,

I am buying 2 copies of Windows 2k8R2 DC for all three of my Hyper-V servers.

Quote Originally Posted by albertwt View Post
    Hi All,

I'm about to get the License for my current VMware ESXi host so that i can deploy any version of Windows (XP, 7, Server 2003-2008) as many as possible after getting the license once off only (not paying annually every 3 years - MS Open Value ?)
    Windows Datacenter under the Volume License Agreement includes downgrade rights to previous versions of Windows Server. You can run unlimited copies of Windows 2000/2003/2008/2008R2 in Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter flavours.

You are not licensed to run any desktop operating systems - 2000/XP/Vista/7. If you need to run these in a VM you'll need to purchase the licenses seperately and you may need a VECD (?) pack for each desktop VM.

It should also be noted that AFAIK the downgrade rights are only included in the Volume License Agreement. The OEM or FBP versions will have different licenses. You can run unlimeted copies of 2k8R2 std/etn/dc under the OEM or FBP licenses.

15. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    tmcd35 is spot on - the price between the two on Academic Select (which will be the least expensive options) is nominal.
    Also correct around desktops - depending on the situation VECD does come into play.

17. Thanks to KeithMPhoenix from:

Thank Post

Cost

When it comes to cost, a Schools Agreement is, in most cases, the cheapest/most cost effective way to licence the software.

Although it is non-perpetual, if you upgrade on a 3-5 year basis, the TCO is lower than with perpetual licences...even Academic Select.

19. Thanks to Richfrombechtle from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread