Hi, donít know if anyone can help. We need to buy Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium Ė this includes Photoshop and Dream weaver that we need. They only do it in a school site license for ~£5500 for 500 licenses.
Our problem is that we have a large number of machines that will not run CS4 (the latest version) but only say CS2. Does anyone know how you can get hold of the older media? I have asked Adobe twice but their stock answer is they only sell CS4 and canít help. I have tried our resellers but they can maybe get CS3 but no earlier than that.
The Adobe Licensing Portal is poor when you compare it to the Microsoft one with product downloads etc.
That Adobe support is terrible - just wish we didn't need the software!
I don't know about transferring the license. Adobe support suggested I go on Amazon and buy a retail copy for like £350 when we are paying £5500 already for the site license.
I thought Microsoft Licensing was bad - i take it all back it's relatively excellent!
Since CS5 will be released in mid-2010, make sure you get the maintenance to go with your CS4 site license. If you don't, you will have to spend another £5,500 if you do want to upgrade to the latest version when it's released (since Adobe don't offer upgrade licenses for site licenses).
My license agreement/login for Adobe lets me login and download any product of theirs (incl. CS2), admittedly I couldn't use all of them as I don't have serial numbers for all their products but I can d/l any product
I've emailed a good contact within Adobe to see what the official line is guys. I'll post a response as soon as I get one for you.
While it is not definite because Adobe haven't officially announced a release date yet, mid-2010 is almost certain going by all the rumour sites and previous Creative Suite release dates. In the past, Adobe have typically followed an 18-24 month upgrade cycle, so mid-2010 sounds perfectly reasonable. Personally, if I was planning on upgrading to CS4 for my school, I would wait for CS5 given that April/June is not that far off and a site license for the Creative Suite is not cheap.
CS2: 04/2005 (+19 months)
CS3: 04/2007 (+24 months)
CS4: 10/2008 (+18 months)
CS5: 04/2010-06/2010? (Estimated)
By the way, CS5.org is a great website for keeping up-to-date with the latest news and features included in CS5.
Last edited by Arthur; 2nd February 2010 at 02:08 AM.
eddyc (2nd February 2010)
You probably already know this, but I forgot to mention that Adobe typically offer free* upgrades to the latest version if you purchase the previous version after a specified date (usually after they announce the actual shipping date on their website). Like Microsoft did with Vista and the Windows 7 upgrade program.
Although doing it this way would cause you more work in the long run, at least you could work on deploying CS4 during the summer holidays and maybe CS5 at a later date (Christmas/Easter)?
* Shipping costs are never included though.
Good afternoon chaps. I had a reply from Adobe about the legalities of this conundrum, which goes like this: According to the terms of the end user licence agreement, since site licences did not exist during the CS or CS2 era, so you are not operating legally if you install CS2 under a CS4 licence. You would have to already own the CS2 individual PC licences or volume licences, in other words. It's slightly unclear, but the IMPLICATION is that if you buy CS4 you are allowed to install and run CS3 as long as you don't break to 500 user total machine count.
On the other matter, Arthur is totally right, but it won't help you. When a new version is announced, Adobe always offer a "grace period" whereby anyone who buys the existing version can have an upgrade for free. This is to prevent people holding off for the new version after it's announced. However, that might only apply to boxed product, and not to volume or site licences. Last time (CS3 to CS4) they allowed people who had placed orders for CS3 but not yet received it to switch up, but it wasn't a grace period as such, so I would definitely not rely on that. People who had bought CS3 and received it did not receive a free upgrade.
I'd advise having a really good research of what people are saying about CS5 and then decide if you need the new features enough to put up with any gremlins and bugs you might find in there. If you use Macs, think about whether all your Macs will run CS5 too. Most pundits are talking about a March/April release for CS5 so if it's the right product for you, then it's not long to wait now if they are right. If you must buy it now, and/or need all the inevitable CS5 bugs ironed out before you move to that, then buy CS4 with Maintenance.
I hope that helps clarify things a bit, and I'm sorry it's not better news.
Thanks for the clarification, particularly the site licences. Either waiting for CS5 or buying CS4 with maintenance seems like the best options.
Do you know what happens if you need a site license for over 500 computers since none of the websites I've looked at list prices for anything more than 500 computers? It seems crazy that "site" doesn't actually mean "site" in Adobe speak.
I did check this for a Nottingham school last year, and they were advised to buy two 500 user licences. Some of the Premium site licences are also available in a 250 user licence, though it isn't a great deal cheaper I'm afraid. So a 500 and a 250 might work. In the end that particular school realised they didn't need every app on every computer, and bought a Design Premium and a Web Standard site licence if I remember correctly. Sadly the licence is for 500 machines, not 500 simultaneous users, so you can't even get around it by clever timetabling.
Arthur (5th February 2010)
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)