+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Keeping track of Licensing in Technical; Does anyone use anything in particular to keep track of licensing? We use a spreadsheet now but I would like ...

Thank Post

Keeping track of Licensing

Does anyone use anything in particular to keep track of licensing? We use a spreadsheet now but I would like to find something more robust. Something where we can store Lic #, Amounts Total, Amt Used, Tech support # and contacts , etc.

Thank Post
    had a web demo of this yesterday looks alright Licence Dashboard

might be worth looking into

Thank Post

LanREV

Same as Keith, I don't want to be accused of spamming, but we supply LanREV Home: LANrev - Automated Client Management for Mac and Windows Computers and Software which we partner with because it supports both Windows and Mac and is really powerful and flexible. Have a quick look at their site to see what you can do with it, and let me know if you need more info.

Thank Post
    In our university professors used the 10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer. Dont wanna to look as a spammer, but when i was a student our system administrator told us, that we even cannot try to install something on computers that we dont need for our lessons. He will know about it anyway. He used to track all software and hardware data on PCs we used. Plus licences of software that is installed (all that you said: amount, typr of licences and so on). Thats why I still remember about it program I donno all features of this, but you can visit their website

Thank Post
    One of our technicians is very fluent in SQL and ASP so has custom built a hardware inventory database where we can assign software from the software inventory, the licenses are then cross referenced to the paper version via purchase date. Its got to a stage now where we now request orders through a bolton for the inventory, this is recorded in the order requisition database until the order has been processed by the finance lot. When we eventually receive the goods, we then check it into one of the inventories. There are other boltons to our system for example, so that we can keep track of which printers use the most toner.

Thank Post
    I have a list of every computer in school and what licensed software is installed on it. It is kept up to date as it doesnt really change much. It is also used for our MS licenses to record how many PCs are on the network and how many need office cals etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I have a list of every computer in school and what licensed software is installed on it.
    May I ask how have you got this list? Do you use the special application or something else?
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elison View Post
    May I ask how have you got this list? Do you use the special application or something else?
    Thanks
    Yeah, its called my head lol, i know where all machines are and what the names are and what licensed software is on them... sad???? i think so lo.

Thank Post
    Yeah, its called my head lol,
    you are genius! keep everything in your head!
    Why so? Small financing? or perhaps there are not so many computers in your LAN? Overwise I cant explain, how man can remember everything! lol
    Havent you ever wanted to use smth to help to yourself?

Thank Post
    We have around 500 machines on our network and i know where each one is and about 60 of them are staff laptops which dont get brought in... this is going to sound wierd but i can picture each room and where abouts each machine is in that room and we are planning on getting another 3 IT rooms open soon.

As for the licensing, i am currently in talk with a supplier on how best to manage my licenses. I am not too sure if it is best value to buy the OS straight out or rent on a yearly basis, it depends if windows plan to bring Win 8 out in the next couple of years, then there is Software assurance on top of this. If i was going to rent the OS, its about £9 per machine with SA meaning i can upgrade or downgrade the os at anytime.

Thank Post
    We have around 500 machines on our network and i know where each one is and about 60 of them are staff laptops which dont get brought in
    Then you are really genius!
    Honestly I havent met people that can keep so much information in their head. All IT administrators that I know (including my university ) vice versa want to make their job easier. They use special software to monitor all software that is installed in our network, becouse students instal everythign they want. And this "everything" is not necessary for studying and is not always licenced

Thank Post
    ahhhh, thats the thing, we dont allow anyone to install anything on our network, we have very locked down accounts via group policy.

Thank Post
    understand.
    But how about the malaware software then? It needs the internet only and some of them is installed automatically. or use ports to be installed.... User may even not know that somethign has happend....Do you use some network monitor software?

Thank Post
    We use Spiceworks. It's free and works great.

Thank Post
    Spiceworks for monitoring what is on each machine, free easy to use and oh yeah, free!
    I keep a folder which has all the actual License info in it (agreements, contracts, letters etc), but like Timbo343 I basically just know what software is installed on each machine anyway

As for unwanted installs, our users can't install anything themselves so that takes a huge chunk out of the equation!
    We also have Sophos Anti-Virus + NAC, Firewall and Data Control all run from the handy web-interface.

In the past 3 years the only times I've had anything unwanted come onto my network was from a memory stick contaminated from someone's home machine, and I'm taking steps to make sure that can't happen soon too (banning the use of all unencrypted school-issued removable media using Sophos
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 13th May 2010 at 04:34 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast