+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Licensing Questions Thread, schools agreement - advice in Technical; Originally Posted by john What more do you want Cookie? We use it, all I do is go to the ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    What more do you want Cookie? We use it, all I do is go to the MSVLS site and enable it and say I agree to pass the secret code onto only my staff etc etc and they email me it and then I put it on our Staff Newsletter and gave them the web link and away they went. As easy as that and I do believe a good few of our staff have taken advantage of it as its Office 2007 Enterprise they get for 9.99 which is a steal when PC World will charge over 400 for it!

I was looking into the work from home licence for Office but i'm sure it was a different price. Is home access available to students for 9.99 as well? This sounds like a great way to get around the Office\Terminal Server licensing problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    I think you maybe thinking a different thing, what I am on about is a licence for the member of staffs own personal PC at home not a "TS Home use Licence" (That's probably not its name hence the "") this gives them a personal copy for life for use on a PC at home that is there own not using a TS to access Office outside of work. Its strictly for Staff use only.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I was looking into the work from home licence for Office but i'm sure it was a different price. Is home access available to students for 9.99 as well? This sounds like a great way to get around the Office\Terminal Server licensing problem.
    For students you need to add the 'student option' onto the agreement and the price of this varies depending upon the products licensed and the number of students licensed. Indeed it is a way around the Office/TS 'problem'. The students also get to keep the latest version of office when they 'graduate'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I think you maybe thinking a different thing, what I am on about is a licence for the member of staffs own personal PC at home not a "TS Home use Licence" (That's probably not its name hence the "") this gives them a personal copy for life for use on a PC at home that is there own not using a TS to access Office outside of work. Its strictly for Staff use only.

No I am thinking about Office licencing it's licenced per device so when someone logs on to TS from home the PC needs the same licence as the Office version on the TS. This means that all staff and students would need to be running Office Pro on their home machines. The Office home licence would help get around this nicely.

I'll look into the student licence Ric cheers.

Thank Post

CALS

I understand - felt the same but since have researched and found it will save many dollars to buy out our CALs and a few MS Office licenses that might be critical (MS Access still required in some places as it is not fully supplanted by Open Office Base as yet.) I am pretty sure your MIS could report via Open Office though. Good luck either way. The hard part for me is getting the users to embrace the changes without a revolt and lynching of the IT director.

bg

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    It would be brilliant to do that but for many of us we still need some MS products...

• Our MIS (SIMS.net) requires Office for reporting purposes
    • We run primarily Windows servers (hence CALs are needed)
    • We are a heavy user of Terminal Services (more CALs)

Windows 7 Enterprise has some nice features that will help fulfill some security requirements too...

• BitLocker managed through AD
    • BitLocker2Go (to enforce encryption of USB drives - also managed through AD)
    • Supposedly easily deployment in conjunction with SCCM and MSDT

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgrant View Post
    I understand - felt the same but since have researched and found it will save many dollars to buy out our CALs and a few MS Office licenses that might be critical (MS Access still required in some places as it is not fully supplanted by Open Office Base as yet.) I am pretty sure your MIS could report via Open Office though. Good luck either way. The hard part for me is getting the users to embrace the changes without a revolt and lynching of the IT director.

bg

There's been a few threads on here about this particular MIS software requiring MS Office and requests for OO support have fallen on deaf ears.

7. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

Mcshammer_dj (22nd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Windows 7 Enterprise has some nice features that will help fulfill some security requirements too...

• BitLocker managed through AD
    • BitLocker2Go (to enforce encryption of USB drives - also managed through AD)
    • Supposedly easily deployment in conjunction with SCCM and MSDT
    Has anyone who doesn't have a Schools Agreement bought Windows 7 Ultimate for new computers? We've had to do this for our new staff laptops so we can use BitLocker and BitLocker2Go. A SA was just too expensive for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Has anyone who doesn't have a Schools Agreement bought Windows 7 Ultimate for new computers? We've had to do this for our new staff laptops so we can use BitLocker and BitLocker2Go. A SA was just too expensive for us.
    The other option to buying machines with 7 Ultimate OEM licenses is to buy under SELECT+ which has Software Assurance for 2 yeas IIRC. You need to keep the Software Assurance topped up though or it drops back to being a Professional (?) license.

10. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Arthur (23rd December 2009)

Thank Post
    I am thinking about an SA but cannot make the numbers add up. We run 'select' at the moment. SQL, 4 servers (currently 2003 but moving to 2008), Exchange (2003 but 2007 once the server is x64 2008), ISA 2006 approx 220 desktops (all XP) with CALS for above, office 2003 pro (moving to 2010 as and when) with individually purchased copies of project for a handful of PCs.

Now, as I see it it isnt beneficial for me to switch to SA unless I plan on moving all my XP machines to windows 7. I dont have SCCM so I can see this being a major PITA unless I see a major reason for doing so. I dont think I have the machine numbers to justify SCCM either which is a shame as I imagine it would make things easier for me.

Looking at other peoples prices on here I would cost circa 6k whereas I only pay 5k at the moment. I do have the option of buyout which I may get a price on this year. 1k to rollout 220x windows 7 is a good idea but do I really want to go through that hassle. Natural desktop replacements will now be specified as windows 7 so im not convinced.

Oh decisions decisions.
    Last edited by KK20; 15th January 2010 at 09:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Ive been looking into School agreement too to see the costs of licensing our 166 PCs in School. I didnt realise you could just license Windows and/or Office (and exclude the CALs) under the School agreement but I have been told you can, which gives me more options to think about. For the SA desktop we have just been quoted 25.14 per machine which comes to just over 4k.
    Still undecided of what to do, but got until April time to decide anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123