+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, schools agreement - advice in Technical; Originally Posted by DMcCoy Better to use the Home Use Programme part as this is a direct agreement between the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Better to use the Home Use Programme part as this is a direct agreement between the staff and Microsoft, requires no keys/DVDs and the staff can use it for non work use, which is a restriction of WAH rights.
    This wasn't mentioned.

But I am aware staff can purchase copies for a very low price.

[Edit - if you are talking about the Work at Home part of our agreement, it does need the VLK. We spoke to Microsoft about this as we were not sure what serial number to give the staff.]

GJE
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 9th December 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Thank Post
    http://www.microsoft.com/education/l...omerights.aspx

"For each copy of Microsoft Office you license, the primary user of the computer on or from which the product is run may also run a second copy from either a laptop or desktop computer that he or she owns or leases. The software may be used only for work-related purposes and only during the term of the agreement (including any renewals)."

I hate MS licensing, you have to look in so many places to get any idea of how it all works. Even then it's not usually how you think

3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

cookie_monster (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Work at Home licenses for Microsoft Academic Volume Licensing Customers

"For each copy of Microsoft Office you license, the primary user of the computer on or from which the product is run may also run a second copy from either a laptop or desktop computer that he or she owns or leases. The software may be used only for work-related purposes and only during the term of the agreement (including any renewals)."

I hate MS licensing, you have to look in so many places to get any idea of how it all works. Even then it's not usually how you think
    This is what we have. I thought the poster was referring to something else.

We have 5 copies and staff all sign contracts.

GJE

Thank Post
    Yes there are two ways you can offer staff use at home, either work at home or home access which is part of software assurance.
    Work at Home is as described, they can put Office on one machine they own but can use it for work related tasks only.
    Home Access is part of Software Assurance and part of the School Agreement where staff can get Office for unrestricted use at home. All you do is through the licensing portal is activate the site through the SA Benefits and point staff to it. Biggest benefit is that you just email staff the details and leave them to it, no fiddling with disks, agreements or license keys.

6. Thanks to teejay from:

garethedmondson (23rd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Yes there are two ways you can offer staff use at home, either work at home or home access which is part of software assurance.
    Work at Home is as described, they can put Office on one machine they own but can use it for work related tasks only.
    Home Access is part of Software Assurance and part of the School Agreement where staff can get Office for unrestricted use at home. All you do is through the licensing portal is activate the site through the SA Benefits and point staff to it. Biggest benefit is that you just email staff the details and leave them to it, no fiddling with disks, agreements or license keys.

Can anyone comment on how this works with Terminal Server or Citrix sessions?

I've been told that you need an Office licence for each connecting device, if each member of staff was covered for home use would this cover them as Office and their PC would be effectivly licenced, if that makes sence

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Can anyone comment on how this works with Terminal Server or Citrix sessions?

I've been told that you need an Office licence for each connecting device, if each member of staff was covered for home use would this cover them as Office and their PC would be effectivly licenced, if that makes sence
    Yes. As long as they only use the ONE device that has the office license assigned.

9. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

cookie_monster (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Having used both systems now, I'm currently using Home Access at my current school. The current cost to our staff is £9.99, and they can buy the Mac version of Office instead if they want for the same price.

As well as the personal use and offloading of the administrative overhead, I've noticed a subtle shift in the attitude towards the scheme. With Work at Home, staff viewed it as something the school had paid for and that they were simply entitled to. With Home Access, they seem to view it as a special staff discount I somehow negotiated (no, I didn't tell them that!) and seem much more grateful for it. Perhaps a psychologist could explain that one for us?

Thank Post
    You can also do a bit of a sneaky with it, if you pay your annual SA fee just before you buy your PC's you don't have to count them until the following years SA count
    Exactly what we have just done its worked out pretty darn well :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    The sneakyness on Microsoft's part of requiring Software Assurance to get Windows 7 Enterprise means that you will end up with some kind of annual cost (at the very least Select+ which gives you 2 years of SA).

With Microsoft now sticking to a better upgrade cycle of approx. 6 years per full server OS upgrade, CAL licensing costs can be a nightmare.
    I dont understand whats being said here.

Schools agreements come in different forms. As far as i'm aware there are 3. We have Schools 3 here, which covers Windows OS, Microsoft Office and the core cals.

We have our servers listed also and have exchange licensed under this same agreement.

You get a free subscription to Technet and MSDNAA if you have over 5 servers, we have 10 so this isn't a problem for us.

SA comes with all schools agreements, meaning latest versions of all the software licensed under that agreement for the amount specified. Additional PC's can be added at the next renewal date.

If you use XP then this is still a valid arguement under the T&C's of the agreement, using rollback licensing.

All PC's must have a valid license sticker which does not corespond with the schools agreement, in other words, the PC's must be licenced already when being purchased. In a sense doubling up on licensing but it is a requirement before any PC can be entered under any shools agreement. That is as far as i'm aware and have been told this by Microsoft.

I also have 2 technical support telephone calls to use per year and have access to other benefits such as online learning for students/staff, enterprise versions of software etc.

It's been hard getting it right and perfected but when I entered the agreement 5 years ago it helped massively with keeping track of our licenses, making sure we had the correct up to date versions of software and more importantly making sure we are LEGAL.

Heres a link for anyone wishing to enter an agreement.

Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - Schools Agreement

We have a MAC suite also which uses Office for Mac 2004 or 2008. This is also licensed under our agreement and just a number of macs is required to the total count of PC's.

Technet & MSDNAA is a great added extra for those who don't have it. It does give you the option of self evaluating any microsoft product for extended periods of time, 12/24 months if need be and it's all legitimate & legal.

I've used one support call in the 5 years and it was resolved promptly and professionally.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    All PC's must have a valid license sticker which does not corespond with the schools agreement, in other words, the PCs must be licenced already when being purchased. In a sense doubling up on licensing but it is a requirement before any PC can be entered under any shools agreement. That is as far as i'm aware and have been told this by Microsoft.
    Since the OS licenses obtained through SA are upgrades (as they are with other Microsoft VL options) it makes sense that you need a license to upgrade from. I imagine this won't be a problem for most schools since the majority would buy PCs with the OEM version of Windows pre-installed.

TechNet & MSDNAA is a great added extra for those who don't have it. It does give you the option of self evaluating any microsoft product for extended periods of time, 12/24 months if need be and it's all legitimate & legal.
    It's worth pointing out that software obtained through the TechNet subscription cannot be used in a production environment. It's for testing and evaluation purposes only.

Thank Post
    I dont understand whats being said here.

Schools agreements come in different forms. As far as i'm aware there are 3. We have Schools 3 here, which covers Windows OS, Microsoft Office and the core cals.
    There's just one type of Schools agreement. The difference comes from how long you license for: 1 or 3 years. I'm not 100% clear on what the difference is (having just entered into a schools agreement) but I believe signing up for the longer periods means your license costs stay pretty much the same over those 3 years, whereas single year agreements are subject to cost increases each renewal.

What you've licensed for under you schools agreement is the Microsoft Desktop Pack which includes Windows, Office + the Core CAL pack cheaper then licensing them individually.

What _Ric was alluding to is the fact that Windows 7 Enterprise is only available to Software Assurance customers. If you purchase your licenses through a standard select agreement you only get the rights to run Windows 7 Business. In order to get access to Enterprise you then need to take out a SA agreement. Which ever way you license if you want access to Enterprise you will have an ongoing cost. One of many reasons we decided to opt for a schools agreement. The fact that we're now going to have a pretty static yearly licensing cost was another reason

Thank Post

MSSA

Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    i am just looking at licences at present and am wondering if the MS Schools Agreement would be worth our while?

we have 380 (will be 468 soon) curriculum stations and 13 admin, currently running office 2003 (dont know at present how many are 2007 compatible looking into this at the moment)

we use office, have server 2003, exchange, and running cc3 but looking to cc4 soon.

i am also looking to upgrade to office 2007 or 2010 soon, my understanding of MSSA is that in will make my life easier regarding licences of ms gubbins anyway.

with cc4 i will be looking at Windows 7 on new stations when supported.

what are peoples experences?

what are the problems moving from how we are (just purchasing as and when) to moving to the schools agreement

does being an RM school complicate this?
    Just a thought - we have been using MSSA for many years (4500 users) and are now moving away from that model. Open Office supplants MS Office nicely for free and I have yet to see any real motivation for moving from XP Pro OS to Windows 7. Mail client is changing to Thunderbird from Outlook and Scribus is nice FOSS substitute for MS Publisher if required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgrant View Post
    Just a thought - we have been using MSSA for many years (4500 users) and are now moving away from that model. Open Office supplants MS Office nicely for free and I have yet to see any real motivation for moving from XP Pro OS to Windows 7. Mail client is changing to Thunderbird from Outlook and Scribus is nice FOSS substitute for MS Publisher if required.
    It would be brilliant to do that but for many of us we still need some MS products...

• Our MIS (SIMS.net) requires Office for reporting purposes
    • We run primarily Windows servers (hence CALs are needed)
    • We are a heavy user of Terminal Services (more CALs)

Windows 7 Enterprise has some nice features that will help fulfill some security requirements too...

• BitLocker managed through AD
    • BitLocker2Go (to enforce encryption of USB drives - also managed through AD)
    • Supposedly easily deployment in conjunction with SCCM and MSDT

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgrant View Post

We would like to go Open Office here but SIMS is a big stumbling block. I am thinking about using Scribus to replace Publisher though.

I'd like to know more about Home Access for £9.99 can anyone point me to some info?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    We would like to go Open Office here but SIMS is a big stumbling block. I am thinking about using Scribus to replace Publisher though.

I'd like to know more about Home Access for £9.99 can anyone point me to some info?

Cheers.
    What more do you want Cookie? We use it, all I do is go to the MSVLS site and enable it and say I agree to pass the secret code onto only my staff etc etc and they email me it and then I put it on our Staff Newsletter and gave them the web link and away they went. As easy as that and I do believe a good few of our staff have taken advantage of it as its Office 2007 Enterprise they get for £9.99 which is a steal when PC World will charge over £400 for it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast