+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Licensing Questions Thread, Office via a TS? in Technical; Just wondering what people do regards licensing Office across a TS for students. I know that it's down to the ...
  1. #1
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    983
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 142 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    82

    Office via a TS?

    Just wondering what people do regards licensing Office across a TS for students. I know that it's down to the school to 'police' this and ensure that students are correctly licensed, either by user or device, but I'd be interested to know how other schools address this issue as it's a bit of an administrative nightmare.

  2. #2

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    Office is a per device license ONLY. I have just had to sort this nightmare out here.

    Our scenario is that we want all staff and sixth form students to be able to remotely access our resources. Under the Schools Agreement, all teachers may use Office for work purposes at home so that is fine. This just leaves the students while they are not using machines owned by the school.

    What I discovered (after a HUGE amount of help from Insight and Microsoft) is that you can also license students under a sort of bolt-on package. This is an additional annual fee and sort of falls under Schools Agreement. What we have licensed is Windows CALs, Exchange CALs, Remote Desktop CALs and Office. This also has the bonus side-effect of allowing students to receive a copy of Office for home use (plus it will always be the latest version). When they leave they get to keep the current version. Simples!

    I hope that makes sense.

  3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

    albertwt (5th February 2010)

  4. #3
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    983
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 142 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Office is a per device license ONLY. I have just had to sort this nightmare out here.

    Our scenario is that we want all staff and sixth form students to be able to remotely access our resources. Under the Schools Agreement, all teachers may use Office for work purposes at home so that is fine. This just leaves the students while they are not using machines owned by the school.

    What I discovered (after a HUGE amount of help from Insight and Microsoft) is that you can also license students under a sort of bolt-on package. This is an additional annual fee and sort of falls under Schools Agreement. What we have licensed is Windows CALs, Exchange CALs, Remote Desktop CALs and Office. This also has the bonus side-effect of allowing students to receive a copy of Office for home use (plus it will always be the latest version). When they leave they get to keep the current version. Simples!

    I hope that makes sense.
    Good old Microsoft - I have an e-mail from them telling me it remains both user or device, but then I've had so many different interpretations from even them that it makes me wonder if anyone knows what's going on.

    Anyway, thanks for the info but we're not on School Agreement so can't obtain the bolt-ons.

    Cheers.

  5. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

    albertwt (5th February 2010)

  6. #4

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Good old Microsoft - I have an e-mail from them telling me it remains both user or device, but then I've had so many different interpretations from even them that it makes me wonder if anyone knows what's going on.

    Anyway, thanks for the info but we're not on School Agreement so can't obtain the bolt-ons.

    Cheers.
    We used SELECT and are changing to Schools Agreement for this exact reason (and to make my life simpler and so that we can use Windows 7 Enterprise - since MS stripped all the good features out of anything but Enterprise).

  7. #5
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    983
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 142 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    We used SELECT and are changing to Schools Agreement for this exact reason (and to make my life simpler and so that we can use Windows 7 Enterprise - since MS stripped all the good features out of anything but Enterprise).
    Financially, given the changes we expect to make over the next 3 years, moving back to the SA doesn't work out. We'd be looking at in excess of 15 grand a year, and because we have a replacement cycle of 3 years anyway, anything we bring in over that period will have 7 on board anyway and are a built-in cost for us...but it's something to review each year.

  8. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

    albertwt (5th February 2010)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th August 2009, 02:58 AM
  2. [MS Office - 2007] Running MS Office 2003 and MS Office 2007 on the same network.
    By Richard_Finnigan in forum Office Software
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th June 2009, 12:28 PM
  3. Batch convert Open Office to MS Office?
    By adhutton in forum Office Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th March 2009, 01:14 PM
  4. Office 2007 at home, Office 2003 at school
    By kennysarmy in forum Windows
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13th January 2009, 02:31 PM
  5. Running Office 2003 and Office 2007
    By mrforgetful in forum Office Software
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12th June 2008, 02:11 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •