+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Licensing Questions Thread, MS licensing in a virtualised environmwnt in Technical; Our MS licenses (EES) are soon to expire and with us moving over to a virtualised environment how would i ...
  1. #1
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Thank Post
    Thanked 296 Times in 206 Posts
    Rep Power

    MS licensing in a virtualised environmwnt

    Our MS licenses (EES) are soon to expire and with us moving over to a virtualised environment how would i license our SQL for SIMS and our Exchange. SQL used to be licensed per processor for us as that was the cheapest option as the SIMS only ever had one physical processor and because we were still on the agreement where we could license per processor it worked out a lot cheaper.

    I understand that the virtualised environment needs the data centre license but really stuck on the SQL side.

    We will be having 2 hosts/hypervisors running server 2012 r2 with hyper-v each with 2x 6 core 12 thread processors in them.

    How does the licensing for SQL and Exchange work?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Thank Post
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    Our environment is much like this with SQL and Exchange virtualised.

    While you don't "need" Datacenter licenses to virtualise, you only get rights to 1 VM and a multi-use host, or 2VM's and a host only allowed to be a hypervisor. You can stack up Standard licenses though, so 2 Standards will give you rights for 4 processors, 4 VM's and a hypervisor host, and so on.

    A Datacenter license is 2 processor and unlimited VM's, so you would stack Standards until it became cost effective to buy a DC license, all depends on how many processors in your server and how many VM's you intend to run on it. With your setup, a single license of either will cover your 2 processors, so would be just down to amount of VM's

    We then pay a server licence for SQL, and the same for Exchange, as these aren't FTE, just per server. OVSE SQL Server Standard Licence 1Yr AP and OVSE Exchange Server Standard Licence 1Yr AP respectively. This works just as if you had physical servers.

    In terms of CALs we pay on FTE for SQL Device CAL's(OVSE SQL Server Device CAL 1Yr FTE) and the Exchange CAL is included in the Desktop Education Pack(OVSE Desktop Education Pack Ent CAL 1Yr FTE)

    Hope that makes sense!


+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [Windows Software] MS Licensing Website
    By Simcfc73 in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 4th February 2010, 02:28 PM
  2. Windows 7 KMS/MAK Licensing in a LAB
    By paco808 in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th November 2009, 10:47 AM
  3. Impending MS license changes!
    By DMcCoy in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th August 2008, 06:28 PM
  4. Recommend a provider of MS training in London/Herts
    By meastaugh1 in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th June 2008, 12:19 AM
  5. Microsoft Licensing in a nutshell?
    By park_bench in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th June 2007, 02:08 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts