+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Server 2012 R2 OVS-ES - advice needed in Technical; We currently have an OVS-ES subscription for Windows and Office, but we'd previously purchased Server 2008 and CALs outright. Now ...
    Thank Post

Server 2012 R2 OVS-ES - advice needed

We currently have an OVS-ES subscription for Windows and Office, but we'd previously purchased Server 2008 and CALs outright. Now that we are looking at replacing our server and upgrading to 2012, I thought it would be worth adding it to our subscription but I have a few questions.

Is there a requirement to purchase a COA like there is for the Windows subscription?
    If we purchased a Server 2012 R2 subscription, would that cover multiple installations on both physical and virtual machines?
    Would CALs based on the number of FTEs cover all devices?
    Do we need to specify a particular version of Server?

Any advice would be really welcome, as I find the whole licensing thing a bit of a minefield.

Thank Post
    We purchase windows client by FTE, but windows server by server. Each 2012 standard licence covers 2 processors and 2 virtual instances, and if you have both virtuals running, the host OS can only be a hypervisor, no other roles, so 2 VM's and host not doing much, or 1 VM and a host that can do things! DC is not much different in that it is 1 licence per 2 processors like standard but allows unlimited VM's, obviously limited by your hardware.

Licences can be stacked, ie if you need to cover more processors, or want more VM's, although for the price of the DataCenter version on EES, we just covered our hosts with 3 DC licences!

You should be covered by FTE count if you licence the desktop for all CAL's

And your choice of Standard or DC depends on VM use really.

Hope that helps, we went through it the last couple of years, and mostly have my head around it!

James
    Last edited by CAWJames; 14th July 2014 at 09:33 PM.

3. Thanks to CAWJames from:

StevieM (15th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks, James. I'm still a little confused though.

I've been quoted for an outright purchase of 2 x Server Standard licences and CALs for all current devices by two different providers and, on average, it works out about 6 or 7 times as expensive as a quote for an annual Server Standard and CALs OVS-ES based on FTEs. With Windows, each device must have an existing licence for a qualifying OS (i.e. W7 Home Premium) before we can use our volume licence to upgrade to Pro or Enterprise. Is it the same with Server? Do I need to purchase the licences in addition to the subscription? If this is the case, would it be possible to simply purchase a single Server Standard licence (to cover two physical processors) and a Server Datacenter through OVS-ES to enable me to upgrade the OS to cover multiple virtual machines?

(By the way, I have emailed our current reseller about this but it usually takes a few days to get a response to questions over licensing.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    We currently have an OVS-ES subscription for Windows and Office, but we'd previously purchased Server 2008 and CALs outright. Now that we are looking at replacing our server and upgrading to 2012, I thought it would be worth adding it to our subscription but I have a few questions.

Is there a requirement to purchase a COA like there is for the Windows subscription?
    If we purchased a Server 2012 R2 subscription, would that cover multiple installations on both physical and virtual machines?
    Would CALs based on the number of FTEs cover all devices?
    Do we need to specify a particular version of Server?

Any advice would be really welcome, as I find the whole licensing thing a bit of a minefield.
    In quick answer form:

1. No.
    2. Depends on the version. Windows Server Standard gives you 1 hardware and 2 VM installs. Datacenter gives you 1 hardware and unlimited VM installs on that hardware. The licenses are per 2 CPU sockets.
    3. CALS are based on the FTE count, yes. You pay for the FTE count and are covered for all devices.
    4. No.

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

StevieM (15th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks, @localzuk.

So just to clarify:

If we were looking at a two processor setup with 4 VMs, I could either purchase two Server Standard subscriptions or 1 Datacenter subscription and we'd be covered?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, @localzuk.

So just to clarify:

If we were looking at a two processor setup with 4 VMs, I could either purchase two Server Standard subscriptions or 1 Datacenter subscription and we'd be covered?
    Yup. That's correct. For a guide, you'll be looking at around £30 for a Server standard license or £180ish for a Data Centre license.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

StevieM (15th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yup. That's correct. For a guide, you'll be looking at around £30 for a Server standard license or £180ish for a Data Centre license.
    That's a BIG price difference! We could license 12 processors and 12 VMs for the price of a single DC license. Server Standard subscriptions definitely look the way to go then. Thanks, again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's a BIG price difference! We could license 12 processors and 12 VMs for the price of a single DC license. Server Standard subscriptions definitely look the way to go then. Thanks, again.
    Yup. There did used to be the "Enterprise" license that was in between and allowed, IIRC, 4 VMs.

However, Data Centre does make sense for some. We have our 2 node hyper-V cluster, both running data centre as we run around 30 VMs on top of the 2 of them. You also have the issue that with Standard, you're not allowed to migrate VMs from one machine to another more than once every 180 days (at least, that's what the old rule was).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We have our 2 node hyper-V cluster, both running data centre as we run around 30 VMs on top of the 2 of them.
    Wow! I take it your establishment is a little larger than my 360 seat KS2 school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow! I take it your establishment is a little larger than my 360 seat KS2 school.
    About 1.6x that size at the moment (but we've been up to 800 in the past), but we broke everything down to be one VM per function. Makes maintenance a lot easier, as I can restart any of the servers and its only am minor issue as everything else carries on running.

Thank Post
    What he said

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAWJames View Post
    What he said
    Hahaha! Thanks. After reading that bit of extra information from @localzuk, your post now makes perfect sense.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread