+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Cheap Windows 7 for teachers? in Technical; Hi All, I don't have time to wade through Google for this so hoping someone can give me a quick ...
    Thank Post

Cheap Windows 7 for teachers?

Hi All,

I don't have time to wade through Google for this so hoping someone can give me a quick definitive yes/no off the top of their heads...

One of our older teachers came to me today to ask if there was a 'teachers' version of Windows 7, as she wants to put it on her laptop instead of Vista!

Maybe she thought I would give her one of the School's license keys as I think the old tech' was prone to this behaviour, but she said she seemed to remember there was a cheaper version of Windows for teachers at some point.

Kol.

Thank Post
    Microsoft do one for £50 although it is supposed to be for students, she might have eligible children she could use, worth looking at. It is available at the Microsoft store.

3. Thanks to NikChillin from:

Koldov (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    If you have a volume license agreement, speak to your reseller about "Work at Home". W7 seems to be £6 with ours, though I never looked at what it takes to set one up as the staff are far too tight to pay even that. Mind you, I could do with Office at home - maybe I should look into it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Microsoft do one for £50 although it is supposed to be for students, she might have eligible children she could use, worth looking at. It is available at the Microsoft store.
    Think all her children have grown up and got jobs with kids of their own lol! Also seems to be for downloading 8.1 does that give downgrade rights to 7 (and will that mean I have to find her a disk... and install it... and troubleshoot it for the rest of my life...)

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    If you have a volume license agreement, speak to your reseller about "Work at Home". W7 seems to be £6 with ours, though I never looked at what it takes to set one up as the staff are far too tight to pay even that. Mind you, I could do with Office at home - maybe I should look into it.
    Yes, we have EES and I think Home Use is a benefit, thought it was only for Office though not Windows....? Where is that on the VLSC?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Yes, we have EES and I think Home Use is a benefit, thought it was only for Office though not Windows....? Where is that on the VLSC?

Kol.
    Home Use is different to Work at Home rights

Microsoft UK Education - Software Licensing - Buying for Staff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post

Kol.
    That's why I suggested talking to your reseller, as I think it needs to be organised by them. One of my schools uses Viglen and it looks like there's no cost to the school. Might have a word with the head...

8. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

fiza (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    ours was setup as part of our EES I believe by the reseller, its very good, staff can purchase their key for both office 2010/2013 and windows7/8/8.1 for under £20 on the scheme (been a while since I bought on there helping a staffmember)

Also worth signing up for Dreamspark for your school as well with MS, students can have more free MS stuff through there.

Thank Post
    I recently bought Windows 8.1 via my Girlfriends student status for £50 odd quid It's also Windows 8.1 Pro not the boring Home Premium one

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    ours was setup as part of our EES I believe by the reseller, its very good, staff can purchase their key for both office 2010/2013 and windows7/8/8.1 for under £20 on the scheme (been a while since I bought on there helping a staffmember)

Also worth signing up for Dreamspark for your school as well with MS, students can have more free MS stuff through there.
    When staff sign up do they have to agree to remove the software if they leave the school? With the Home Use Program the agreement is between the user and Microsoft. Is it similar with this?

Thank Post
    Why don't you tell them to go buy the system builders version?

Surly if they are capable (VERY debatable based on my dealings with teachers....) of installing an OS they can build a system and understand if you buy a 99p fan you are eligible to buy an OEM copy of MS Windows for system builders..

Thank Post
    Just a +1 for Dreamspark, has saved me a few bob recently when I've needed VS for a project and also testing out 2012 R2

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    You don't have a to buy a piece of hardware for Windows 8 oem for personal use.

Personal Use Licence

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    When staff sign up do they have to agree to remove the software if they leave the school? With the Home Use Program the agreement is between the user and Microsoft. Is it similar with this?
    Yes - it's the same sort of deal (see point 3): T&C.

Thank Post
    @Millgate - Do you provide anything similar as above with EES?

Thank Post
    Having looked at the T+Cs on our webstore that was setup, it doesnt mention anything about removing it on leaving regarding the OS, though if a staff member were to leave here, they would lose access to their staff email anyway, which is necessary to get access to the downloads and keys of the software.

Our webstore only allows the user access to the download and key for a limited time up front and you can pay to extend it for a year, its no massive issue though provided you download the files and print off the key and make sure you have backups, it does offer other software as well looking at it, Nero Burning ROM and other stuff is on there with an educational discount.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread