+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Office 365 - iPad Apps for Staff licensing. in Technical; At the moment our students have ProPlus licenses assigned in Office 365 which enables them to sign in and use ...
    Thank Post

Office 365 - iPad Apps for Staff licensing.

At the moment our students have ProPlus licenses assigned in Office 365 which enables them to sign in and use the Office 365 iPad Apps.

Staff only have the A2 licenses which I believe allows them to view documents in the app but not edit or create them.

What's the cheapest and easiest way to get Staff able to use the iPad apps? I assume assigning them ProPlus licenses is illegal as they are designed for Students only. So are there are alternatives apart from purchasing A3 licenses for staff?

Two links below might help people...

A2 vs A3 Licensing. - Notice the A2 doesn't support Office for iPads but A3 does.

ProPlus \ Student Advantage access to iPad apps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I'm considering for next time I renew my Licences is dropping on site office and assigning a3 for staff.

The only thing I'm concerned about is well I lose products like visio which I currently get.

Thank Post
    It's perfectly fine to assign Office ProPlus to your staff, as long as it's Office ProPlus for Faculty licences. They run at 1.70 per user, rather than the 3.40 per user of the A3 plan.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayki5 View Post
    It's perfectly fine to assign Office ProPlus to your staff, as long as it's Office ProPlus for Faculty licences. They run at 1.70 per user, rather than the 3.40 per user of the A3 plan.
    I think he s referring to the office proplus student advantage.

But 1.70 per staff is cheaper than I pay for on site office.

Thank Post
    Is that 1.70 * FTE?

Or 1.70 * FTE * 12 months?

Also are we entitled to downgrade rights if we purchase ProPlus subscriptions for all Staff?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    Is that 1.70 * FTE?

Or 1.70 * FTE * 12 months?

Also are we entitled to downgrade rights if we purchase ProPlus subscriptions for all Staff?
    1.7 * fte * 12 months

So for me that works out around 3k a year. Might not be that much cheaper and if you lose the downgrade rights and extra products like visio or publisher.. Maybe not worth it. I'll be having a long chat with my licensing partner next year I think!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    It's not really 1.70 x 12 x FTE either.

It's 1.70 x 12 x however many staff you want to licence. You don't have to licence all your staff in the same way you do for EES/OVS. You only need enough licences to cover the staff who need it, as you assign an individual licence to each user in the O365 console. The user has to sign in to Office with their O365 account for it to activate, and because of that I don't think you get downgrade rights as earlier version don't support this licensing method.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    What I'm considering for next time I renew my Licences is dropping on site office and assigning a3 for staff.

The only thing I'm concerned about is well I lose products like visio which I currently get.
    You would also loose the free ProPlus for your students as you have to have the active EES agreement to be eligible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    You would also loose the free ProPlus for your students as you have to have the active EES agreement to be eligible.
    Do you need ees for office and not just windows and server cals etc?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Looking at the bottom of the page for my first link I believe you are still eligible for Student ProPlus if you have ProPlus "institution-wide for all your faculty/staff". Unsure if you can get license for that through EES. Believe you can.

Thank Post
    Oh yes. So it does.

Get Office 365 ProPlus for your students at no additional cost when you purchase Office for faculty and staff
    Your students get access to Office 365 ProPlus at no additional cost when you license Office 365 ProPlus or Office Professional Plus institution-wide for all your faculty/staff. Starts Dec. 1, 2013.

Thank Post
    Had a word with my supplier and he's gotten hold of MS and they've acknowledged it's a bit of a "grey area" at the moment. MS are giving me a call next week directly to discuss it and best way forward so will let you guys know what the result of.

My own opinion is if we're fully covered for Office under EES and students get the iPAD access free under ProPlus staff should also get the same access which is what I'll put across to them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree with this completely. We license staff not machines, this should cover iPads like it covers macs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    Had a word with my supplier and he's gotten hold of MS and they've acknowledged it's a bit of a "grey area" at the moment. MS are giving me a call next week directly to discuss it and best way forward so will let you guys know what the result of.

My own opinion is if we're fully covered for Office under EES and students get the iPAD access free under ProPlus staff should also get the same access which is what I'll put across to them.
    What was the outcome from Microsoft?

If staff are already licenced under EES do they also need to have the Office Pro Plus licence in Office 365 @ 1.70 per month?

Thank Post
    Spoke to the guy for about an hour. In the end the result was about how they were trying to move to subscription based for everyone so basically weren't interested in trying to fix the issue.

Bit disappointing. In the end I said that if we couldn't get staff using the iPad App for Office we'd be forced to move to Google Docs in which case he said he'd get back to me...

Still waiting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast