+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Quick licencing question - Server 2012 in Technical; Quick licencing question for Windows server 2012... I have a server that has quad processors. As I understand it both ...

Thank Post

Quick licencing question - Server 2012

Quick licencing question for Windows server 2012...

I have a server that has quad processors. As I understand it both Server 2012 datacentre and standard editions only support 2 processors per licence. Therefore I need 2 licences of whichever version I install. As I want to run 3 guest VMs on this machine I am intending to use standard version on the basis that I need 2 licences for the host OS and each of these gives me the right to run 2 guests OSs.

Is that assumption correct?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
    Quick licencing question for Windows server 2012...

I have a server that has quad processors. As I understand it both Server 2012 datacentre and standard editions only support 2 processors per licence. Therefore I need 2 licences of whichever version I install. As I want to run 3 guest VMs on this machine I am intending to use standard version on the basis that I need 2 licences for the host OS and each of these gives me the right to run 2 guests OSs.

Is that assumption correct?
    Hi Dave,

That is correct, both licenses are sold in 2 Proc Bundles and in a Quad CPU server you would require 2 of either SKU's.

2 x Standard would be the cheapest way to do this to license the 3 VM's although if you are going to run a lot of machines, it maybe worth looking at Datacentre.

A good guide is available here http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ch_VLBrief.pdf

Thanks,

Ed

3. Thanks to VeryPC_Ed from:

DavePa (17th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would say go for datacentre, you can expand as you need too with the licence, so you are not limited. @VeryPC_Ed is right with that. So if you want to add say 2 more VMs in a years time for x reason, you would need to look at more licences anyway, better to have and not need than need and not have (I learnt from experience).l

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    I would say your assumption is correct.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...sing_Guide.pdf

7. Thanks to fiza from:

Thank Post
    Thanks All, I thought that would be the case. At present we run a DC a file/print and a SQL server and that's what we are replicating onto the new server so 4 VMs should hopefully be enough, at least to start with.

I actually have a 2nd identical server that also needs 2 OS licences but only needs to run 2 guests so between the 2 hosts I should have the capacity for 3 further VMs if required.

I downloaded and read that PDF before asking the question so I was fairly confident of the answer but thought I ought to make sure
    Last edited by DavePa; 17th February 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
    Thanks Ed, I thought that would be the case. At present we run a DC a file/print and a SQL server and that's what we are replicating onto the new server so 4 VMs should hopefully be enough, at least to start with.

I actually downloaded and read that PDF before asking the question so I was fairly confident of the answer but thought I ought to make sure
    Hi Dave,

No worries - always best to check with these things I find.

I'm always amazed at the amount of people who should look before they leap - especially with Microsoft licensing as it can be a minefield!, so props to you for looking into it !

Thanks,

Ed

Thank Post
    Hi All,

I'm trying to get my head around this at the moment I'll be building two new servers, each probably hosting 3/4 virtual servers, should one server crash, the other should take over and host all machines. Both machines are 2 processor (E5-2665). Is the licencing per processor or per core? i.e for each server do I need 2 licences for datacentre or 8 licences one per core + 8 licences for hyper-threading? And if I just purchase standard licences do I need enough for each server to be able to host 7/8 machines? Arghhhhhh..... confused!

Thanks for help in advance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rmistry22 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm trying to get my head around this at the moment I'll be building two new servers, each probably hosting 3/4 virtual servers, should one server crash, the other should take over and host all machines. Both machines are 2 processor (E5-2665). Is the licencing per processor or per core? i.e for each server do I need 2 licences for datacentre or 8 licences one per core + 8 licences for hyper-threading? And if I just purchase standard licences do I need enough for each server to be able to host 7/8 machines? Arghhhhhh..... confused!

Windows licenses are per socket, not per core or thread. You need a windows license for every two sockets your server has.

So if you have four processors with eight cores each, you have a 32 core server but you still only need two Windows licenses.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmistry22 View Post
    Hi All,

Hi Rmistry,

Essentially you are looking at a Failover Cluster so you will need to license both nodes with Windows Server O/S

Both SKU's - Standard and Datacentre are licensed per Processor and sold in 2 Processor Bundles.

You need to license the sockets so in your case you will need 1 x Datacentre License per Node.

See this for more information - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._Datasheet.pdf

Thanks,

Ed
    Last edited by VeryPC_Ed; 26th February 2014 at 03:53 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread