+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft ees licencing in Technical; Originally Posted by StevieM @ chrbb I think you've probably figured out how it works by now, but just to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    @chrbb I think you've probably figured out how it works by now, but just to clear up a few misconceptions...

No you don't. That's the whole point of EES - you pay your subscription and you get licences for all your computers whether they currently have a licencsed version of Windows or not. That is one of the reasons why companies like VeryPC offer computers without an OS.
    Strange, my documentation clearly states that we have upgrade rights for EES for Windows operating systems to the latest version, but it does not entitle us to install it on a device that did not previously have a Windows license.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Strange, my documentation clearly states that we have upgrade rights for EES for Windows operating systems to the latest version, but it does not entitle us to install it on a device that did not previously have a Windows license.
    Really?... I'd better go and have another look then. :tugs-at-collar-to-release-steam:

Thank Post
    The PC has to have come with a version of Windows licensed to qualify as its only the upgrade version you get licensed for. As per MS Documentation..... only exception is the Mac in which they class Mac OS as a qualifying upgrade OS.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...gram_Guide.pdf

"When you license a desktop operating system through this Microsoft Volume Licensing offering, it is important to understand that only the UPGRADE license for Windows is available—FULL operating system licenses are not offered. Prior to licensing a Windows upgrade through your EES desktop platform, you need to have a full underlying license for a qualifying operating system for each PC. (Qualifying operating systems are listed in the Microsoft Volume Licensing Product List.
    You can get the necessary full Windows operating system license in the following two ways:
     For newly manufactured PCs, the best way to acquire that license is to have the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) preinstall Windows on the PC.
     If the OEM has not preinstalled Windows on the PC, then you can purchase a full Windows license through retail full-packaged product (FPP)."

Thank Post
    Just read through the documentation again and I stand corrected! Good job you guys are here.

Thank Post
    Don't worry, had the same debate previously

Whenever I buy new motherboards I always order a new copy of Windows 7 Home to go with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now this I didn't know! Did you take out a Server/CAL subscription or is this included with the Windows or Office one?
    We've taken out the System Center Standard Software Assurance Pack to run SCCM that administers it, which isn't a great deal of cost and I couldn't live without SCCM for all its features now anyway, but if you want to run it without SCCM (which I think is possible) it's licenced in the Core CAL pack anyway, I believe EDIT: Yes it is.

And Student Advantage is well worth looking at - we already had EES, we were already moving to Office 365, so with both those prerequisites dealt with I arranged 400k worth of software with a three minute phone call and five minutes of copying/pasting a licence key from one place to another
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 11th February 2014 at 02:40 PM.

Thank Post
    The question is now is 'How do I buy an extra home-user license for the head's new laptop without him noticing?'

Apologies, too, to @Mr.Ben for doubting his expertise.

8. Thanks to StevieM from:

Mr.Ben (15th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    We've taken out the System Center Standard Software Assurance Pack to run SCCM that administers it, which isn't a great deal of cost and I couldn't live without SCCM for all its features now anyway, but if you want to run it without SCCM (which I think is possible) it's licenced in the Core CAL pack anyway, I believe EDIT: Yes it is.
    We purchased server and CALs outright a couple of years ago when we upgraded from Server 2003 to 2008, so we've only subscribed to Windows and Office for now.

And Student Advantage is well worth looking at - we already had EES, we were already moving to Office 365, so with both those prerequisites dealt with I arranged 400k worth of software with a three minute phone call and five minutes of copying/pasting a licence key from one place to another
    And was this information ever posted in the 'What cool thing(s) did u do today?', thread?

Thank Post
    The question is now is 'How do I buy an extra home-user license for the head's new laptop without him noticing?'

Apologies, too, to @Mr.Ben for doubting his expertise.
    Simple. Buy a full copy of Windows 7 Home then slap the licence code onto the chassis.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And was this information ever posted in the 'What cool thing(s) did u do today?', thread?
    Nah, thought I'd lay off spamming that thread for a while though I did crow about it at Student Council t'other day, and have bored multiple people with tales of how arranging 400k of software for free with a 3 minute phone call means I was generating value at 8m an hour for a brief, shining moment in my career, never to be topped.

12. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

StevieM (11th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12