+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Cheapest version of Windows 7 in Technical; Hi all, Quick question, hopefully. We have a Microsoft EES license which covers us to upgrade whatever version of Windows ...
    Thank Post

Cheapest version of Windows 7

Hi all,

Quick question, hopefully.

We have a Microsoft EES license which covers us to upgrade whatever version of Windows operating system comes with our machines. We want to buy some new PCs for our library but the model we're looking at doesn't come with any version of Windows pre-installed at all.

What is our cheapest, and legal, option for getting Windows 7 Pro on these machines.

Viglen, our EES provider, were next to no help and simply said we don't recommend buying PCs without Windows!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For education starter edition is the one to go for , if you can get it. If not home basic.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Windows 7 - Qualified Operating Systems tab

If you can find some Vista or XP or even 2000 licences might be cheaper again.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 6th February 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately, the OEMs still have to supply with a Windows COA (as far as I am aware, correct me if I am wrong). We moved from RM to Viglen for kit and they are the ones who told us at the time of the new EES agreement and gave us the option to purchase with Vista basic at the time, which knocked a heck of a lot off the overall price.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    Unfortunately, the OEMs still have to supply with a Windows COA (as far as I am aware, correct me if I am wrong). We moved from RM to Viglen for kit and they are the ones who told us at the time of the new EES agreement and gave us the option to purchase with Vista basic at the time, which knocked a heck of a lot off the overall price.
    No. OEMs do not *have* to supply Windows anything. Microsoft are just a software company, not some form of legislative body.

A company can provide a PC with no OS. In that situation, if you want to use your EES agreement to get Windows of your choice on it, you have to buy a Retail edition of Windows.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

andyturpie (6th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No you don't. What if you want to run Linux on them??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    No you don't. What if you want to run Linux on them??
    My mistake, I am sure I remember years ago when a certain OEM refused to sell a customer a machine without a windows OS (as you say the customer wanted to run linux) - I was presuming that MS and the OEMs would have had some sort of agreement drafted up?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No. OEMs do not *have* to supply Windows anything. Microsoft are just a software company, not some form of legislative body.

A company can provide a PC with no OS. In that situation, if you want to use your EES agreement to get Windows of your choice on it, you have to buy a Retail edition of Windows.
    Are you saying to comply legally with EES only one purchase of a retail edition is needed? That could save a packet on my next 450ish station refresh...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, that's not the case. You get only get Windows upgrade license on any MS license scheme and for that license to qualify, the PC needs to have an eligible Windows license on it already, be it Windows XP Home, Vista Starter or whatever.

I think @localzuk is saying that if you buy a PC with no OS installed then want to use your EES upgrade license, you'd have to buy a retail Windows license for that PC to qualify.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My mistake, I am sure I remember years ago when a certain OEM refused to sell a customer a machine without a windows OS (as you say the customer wanted to run linux) - I was presuming that MS and the OEMs would have had some sort of agreement drafted up?
    Some suppliers used to have contractual obligations that every machine they sell has to have an OEM sticker. However, I believe this was ruled illegal a while back.

Are you saying to comply legally with EES only one purchase of a retail edition is needed? That could save a packet on my next 450ish station refresh...
    No. I'm saying every device you wish to use an EES upgrade license on has to be legally licensed with a qualifying OS. So, if you have 450 machines which didn't come with Windows at all, you need Windows Retail licenses for every device.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

andyturpie (6th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Some suppliers used to have contractual obligations that every machine they sell has to have an OEM sticker. However, I believe this was ruled illegal a while back.

No. I'm saying every device you wish to use an EES upgrade license on has to be legally licensed with a qualifying OS. So, if you have 450 machines which didn't come with Windows at all, you need Windows Retail licenses for every device.
    Dang - I got my hopes up there. In my discussions with OEMs though, they have always supplied me with their cheapest option licence when quoting for kit. I am suprised that the OP is having trouble with Viglen.

Thank Post
    Yes in education we are lucky to be able to upgrade from Windows Starter edition. This isn't the case for Business. I mention this because the KMS server doesn't like them so you may have to break out your MAK keys.

Can retail copies of Windows be transferred to new PCs? (would it be cost effective in the long term?)

Thank Post
    Cheers for the replies folks.

Having trouble finding a supplier for Windows Starter Edition. Anyone know a reputable seller?

Just to clear something up - am I allowed to buy OEM?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only if you buy it with a PC in the first place. It is legal to buy it, but it wouldn't comply with the license.

Thank Post
    Windows starter really only came with Atom PCs with a 1gigabyte of ram or less. (Made for Netbooks)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what the current oldest edition supported for upgrades is, but I have heard of schools in the past purchasing copies of Windows 3.1 off eBay for this very reason. Just a thought...

(Just needs to be original, retail and with CoA sticker as far as I'm aware)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast