+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, SMART Notebook licensing in Technical; The questions are will it be faster than the current wading through a muddy bog software, and will it work ...
    Thank Post
    The questions are will it be faster than the current wading through a muddy bog software, and will it work behind a proxy? If the answer to either of those is no, why would anyone want to pay for it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have an Issue with the Name 'Notebook Advantage'..........The only advantage I've seen so far is for Smarttech!

Thank Post
    I've just emailed Steljes and included a link to this forum. Hopefully, we can get someone on here to whom we can ask our questions directly.

Thank Post
    TBH, the only reason my schools carry on using SMART notebook is tradition. It's what they were told to use, and what they have lots of resources already made up in, but I rarely see anything that they couldn't have done just as easily in Powerpoint. Probably different in secondary(?).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    TBH, the only reason my schools carry on using SMART notebook is tradition. It's what they were told to use, and what they have lots of resources already made up in, but I rarely see anything that they couldn't have done just as easily in Powerpoint. Probably different in secondary(?).
    No different in our School and we are a Secondary. 99% of resources created in Smart could have just as easily been done in Powerpoint.

Thank Post
    Now all we need is someone to make a cheap (preferably free) and reliable .notebook to .pptx convertor and we're home and dry! Anybody...??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Now all we need is someone to make a cheap (preferably free) and reliable .notebook to .pptx convertor and we're home and dry! Anybody...??
    I thought you could do that in SMART anyway? (Not got it at this school to take a look). The problem is more that most staff can't be bothered to make that switch/effort.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I thought you could do that in SMART anyway? (Not got it at this school to take a look). The problem is more that most staff can't be bothered to make that switch/effort.
    Smart can do it but I found its not that reliable. Document has some formatting issues once its converted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Smart can do it but I found its not that reliable. Document has some formatting issues once its converted.
    Even if it was a perfect conversion, I'm pretty sure that the only way a school's notebooks would get converted would be if we did it ourselves - and I'm not suggesting that!

Tob

Thank Post
    Why doesn't anybody seriously consider switching to Easiteach NG? It improved a lot the last two years. It can import Smart Notebook files, i is available for site licensing and has features comparable with Smart Notebook. My school just switched and don't regret it. However, I should mention that Easiteach NG has some annoying but not crucial issues with multi touch, especially with Windows 8. If anybody is interested I can write more about it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tob View Post
    Why doesn't anybody seriously consider switching to Easiteach NG? It improved a lot the last two years. It can import Smart Notebook files, i is available for site licensing and has features comparable with Smart Notebook. My school just switched and don't regret it. However, I should mention that Easiteach NG has some annoying but not crucial issues with multi touch, especially with Windows 8. If anybody is interested I can write more about it.
    I'm interested especially in personal experience...
    As mentioned by others above, I don't want to end up converting hundreds of files manually. My thought is to persuade the teachers to start using something different now so that when we do move away from Smartboards we won't have a problem. I expect to run a mix of screen types for several years so would like a solution for multiple hardware platforms.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I trialled Easiteach NG with one of our more competent teachers, and they disliked it. Its conversion of files from SMART was not great and its interface completely different.

Add in top that it would cost us already as much as SMART, and I don't see the point in forcing everyone to change.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

jmak (5th April 2014)

Tob

Thank Post
    I use Easiteach as a teacher on a daily basic. I am also a teacher trainer for teaching with software at my school. Regarding features I don't hesitate to recommend Easiteach as a cheap alternative to Smart Notebook or Promethean Inspire but without limitations to any hardware brand. Easiteach has a much less used community platform (http://www.easilearn.com) than Smart, but loaded a lot of readymade content for free on it.

A comparison of features is available here:
    http://www.teachertechnologies.com/c...are-the-table/
    This comparison doesn't include latest improvements in Easiteach NG, like the possibility to import Smart Notebook files.

However, interface and usability is unusual. Teachers who are already trained to work with Smart Notebook might need extra training to understand the concept of Easiteach. Once this is done, you can do great things with Easiteach. Regarding Easiteachs Glasmodus-Tool (a tool to write on any screen, similar to Smart Notebook 10) I recommend to use Chalkbox instead, which is a freeware alternative working with any touchable device and is much more convenient to use (http://www.habilience.com/product_chalkbox/).

With Windows 8 and multitouch we have two issues currently:
    - A single touch is often interpreted as a double touch, which makes it a little inconvenient (but not impossible) to select objects. This bug doesn't appear with single touch boards or older versions of Windows. This bug is reported and will hopefully be solved with the next version of Easiteach.
    - Easiteach doesn't have an option to lock an object in a way to move it in any direction on the one hand but without allowing to change its size on the other hand. This didn't matter in the past, since changing size wasn't possible in presentation mode and only here it would be necessary to lock size changing. However, in newer versions of Easiteach you can change size using multitouch gestures - which is a bug or inconsistent with Easiteachs general idea what the presentation modus is about. This bug is reported too.

Regarding costs I will write under localzuks comment from today.
    Last edited by Tob; 5th April 2014 at 06:11 PM.

15. Thanks to Tob from:

jmak (5th April 2014)

Tob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I trialled Easiteach NG with one of our more competent teachers, and they disliked it. Its conversion of files from SMART was not great and its interface completely different.

Add in top that it would cost us already as much as SMART, and I don't see the point in forcing everyone to change.
    Localzuk, indeed, the interface is unusual in design and usability. But once you get used to it, it is not great but ok.

Conversion of notebook files works better since version 1.5. In case you checked with an older version you might want to check again. Still the import filter is only good enough to make the content of the notebook file available in Easiteach. In most cases you still have to change little things like font sizes etc. Some flash objects from Smart aren't compatible because they check in which software they got opened and refuse to work. The same is true with some widgets from Smart Notebook 11. I recommend my colleagues to open their old Notebook files at http://express.smarttech.com as long as they don't need them on a regular basic.

About costs:
    It all depends on the scenario. My school has only 8 Smart Boards but 30 iwbs from another brand. The company we bought the non-smart iwbs from gave us 5 user licences for each IWB we bought and also a site licence for deploying of Easiteach over the school network. All licences are permanent and were included in the total costs of the boards.

17. 2 Thanks to Tob:

fiza (25th April 2014), jmak (5th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Forgive my cynicism here, but a new user creates an account and his/her first 3 (and, so far, only) posts are to promote a specific piece of software... That's never happened before.
    Last edited by StevieM; 7th April 2014 at 12:17 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast