+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, SMART Notebook licensing in Technical; Originally Posted by free780 All the more reason to avoid the bloat that is smart. Also the lack of a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    All the more reason to avoid the bloat that is smart. Also the lack of a decent activation process means the smartboard is probably facing a long drawn out death like xp.
    Never had an issue with SMART Activation. Just add the key to the MST and it activates automatically.

Thank Post
    Looking at both C-Touch and smarts touch screen/projectorless screens, in a direct comparison, the C-Touch product is far better.

Both are around the same price, although i liked the idea of the pc being built into the C-Touch for a little extra. Only the power cable on show then, meaning very clean installs where ever you want them. At £3,000 a good price too, as we spend up to around £2,000 on a smart board/projector install

Thank Post
    Well it always prompts for credentials to our proxy and did a few versions back. You have to run the activation exe on a command line with credentials in the clear. No licence server option. If it fails to activate it says volume activated. The software functions fine but if I deploy using gpo/sccm its going to confuse the users unless you add the command line with credentials in the clear. Why cant it just work like kms?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, that's the difference then - we add exceptions to our proxy to allow unauthenticated access for programs like smart activation.

Thank Post
    I've got an unconfirmed price of £24 per classroom for the new license.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I've got an unconfirmed price of £24 per classroom for the new license.
    Which new license? The Notebook Advantage maintenance subscription, the 'Classroom' license or the 'Site' license?

Thank Post
    and how are you defining classroom is that 1 smartboard pc or does it allow the software to be installed on any pc in that room?

Thank Post
    This is the first I've heard about it. Personally, I think the Network Advantage Licence will be provided by our LEA - perhaps with an increase in the annual cost of the SLA. If not, I'm more than happy to not upgrade to the next version of Smart Notebook. No great loss there. It also takes away the hassle of having different versions of it around the school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Which new license? The Notebook Advantage maintenance subscription, the 'Classroom' license or the 'Site' license?
    Notebook Advantage maintenance subscription (per year)
    Last edited by Vegas; 27th January 2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: missed a bit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    and how are you defining classroom is that 1 smartboard pc or does it allow the software to be installed on any pc in that room?
    I'm also asking the same question

Thank Post
    i can see this being the death of the smartboard itself and them just selling software via subscription like office 365 as i suepect as big touchscren tvs become cheaper and more mainstream the smartboard loses its appeal. Thats said a school i support ripped out all their class smartboards in favour of some tv solution (smaller than smartboards) i gave them a few months to get used toi the new software then removed smartboard as the license says (i thought a bit of leeway wasnt a bad thing and they still have 1 board left in the suite). Now because the head thought tv screens would impress offstead (honestly i doubt they would a notice or b care) but the software they come with is aparanntly absolute pants and its idea of loading smart files is converting them to a picture per page lol. As a result i think most of the staff want to lynch me

Thank Post
    I downloaded the Open Sankore software but quite a bit seems to be in French. I know it originates from France but more resources in English might make it viable as an alternative to smart. I liked the new Epson 9595Wi Interactive Projector which boasts pen and touch - might be what we go to when its time to tech refresh our boards.

Thank Post
    Sahara CleverTouch screen bundle the Lynx 4 software with their interactive displays, the software has the ability to open all SMART created presentations.

Thank Post
    I have been told how essential to the running of the school it is to have Smart Notebook software - and then found out that most of the staff came from schools with Promethean boards...

I'm trying to recruit a victim to try out Open Sankore.

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    the software they come with is aparanntly absolute pants and its idea of loading smart files is converting them to a picture per page lol. As a result i think most of the staff want to lynch me
    I have had a quick go and and you can export from Smart Notebook into .iwb file format and then in Open Sankore you can import. The screens look the same - I can't vouch for how the interactive components work............ 'cos on the first few files I found, there weren't any interactive parts!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    I have had a quick go and and you can export from Smart Notebook into .iwb file format and then in Open Sankore you can import. The screens look the same - I can't vouch for how the interactive components work............ 'cos on the first few files I found, there weren't any interactive parts!
    How did you export to .iwb as looking at same thing and just looked at SmartNotebook 11 and cant see that option?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast