+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, MS Licensing Costs on the Rise in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay It's been going round for a couple of weeks apparently, same thing happened last year and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    It's been going round for a couple of weeks apparently, same thing happened last year and again some 'helpful' (ie drooling at the commission) account managers sent it out trying to get people to panic buy.
    Morning guys,

I've also heard this as it was me that started the thread mentioned by teejay.

I was told the info by a Microsoft distributor who advised that they'd had a price list sent over to them with August pricing on. Now, I've know this person/ dealt with the company for years and years & they've never told porkies before which is why I jumped on here and "warned" you all.

However, I've since spoken to MS and they've confirmed that there will not be a price increase.

I guess we'll just wait until next week to find out.

Generally speaking though, there isn't any money in EES agreements so suppliers don't have much reason to make it up. From my point of view, my rep on here is far more important that the money we make from the agreements so the last thing I want to do is use though tactics with you guys

2. Thanks to Millgate from:

AngryTechnician (25th July 2013)

Thank Post
    There is an awful lot that happened behind the scenes over the last few weeks however in essence this price increase only hits a tiny proportion of academic clients. It has come into effect and based on the percentages outlined but various existing MoU's and other caveats mean that the impact is not across the board.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithMPhoenix View Post
    There is an awful lot that happened behind the scenes over the last few weeks however in essence this price increase only hits a tiny proportion of academic clients. It has come into effect and based on the percentages outlined but various existing MoU's and other caveats mean that the impact is not across the board.
    So what has gone up then?

Thank Post
    Without boring you with all the detail - the pricing announcement is correct in that the pricing is going up - however Academic Pricing actually covers a vast array of organisations and not just schools. Many of the types of organisations that qualify for it fall under Government MoU's and various existing agreed pricing models and so even though the price on the pricelist goes up the actual pricing people pay does not as it is covered by these MoU arrangements. With this in mind the issue may be with a few organisations who now fall out this scope - but for schools you are fine as you are covered.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    A minefield as usual then.

Thank Post
    Indeed - itd be boring if it was simple

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Well, I've just has a quote back for our EES renewal and we have seen an increase of the magnitude mentioned in the OP (around 25%). This is compared to the pricing we got on the exact same licences 1 year ago. Obviously I will be getting additional quotes but it's looking like this might have been an accurate warning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Well, I've just has a quote back for our EES renewal and we have seen an increase of the magnitude mentioned in the OP (around 25%). This is compared to the pricing we got on the exact same licences 1 year ago. Obviously I will be getting additional quotes but it's looking like this might have been an accurate warning.
    We had a quote last week and although a slight increase on last year, it was nowhere near 25%. Definitely worth checking around.

Thank Post
    If you are a school the price increase should not affect you. It maybe the case that the reseller is not understanding how the new pricing now works to ensure that schools do not get charged the increase.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Yeah, the reseller has banged some heads together at their distributor who admitted that an inexperienced account manager had quoted incorrectly. I've now had correct pricing through which does not have any significant increase on last year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    So what has gone up then?
    Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter...

MS gets you hooked on Server 2012 Datacenter, jacks up the price for R2 The Register

The Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter edition, which offers unlimited virtualization rights, will cost $6,155, according to the new licensing data sheet [PDF]. The Datacenter edition for today's Windows Server 2012 costs $4,809.

Customers using Windows Server 2012 with an active Software Assurance (SA) coverage will get a “transitional license” to use the R2 update, so should - theoretically - pay no more.
    Not an issue for us however.

Thank Post
    We did our m$ licence a month ago...

I actually heard my amazing buyer/admin/1stline/2ndline/AV Technician lady have the following conversation with our reseller:

"I know that's what you've quoted, but we aren't paying it, make it cheaper... No, cheaper... I don't really care that you have to make a profit, make it somewhere else... Better! Knock the 10.05 off and you've got a deal"

Turned out 100 cheaper than year and we've increased our number of full time employees! Love her!
    Last edited by Oaktech; 15th August 2013 at 09:14 AM.

14. Thanks to Oaktech from:

mmoseley (15th August 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm virtualising our single physical server this holiday - various reasons that make sense to me even without making any other changes. However, one thing I'd like to do is split out the server roles. We'll only have one physical server for the foreseeable, but I'd still like to split out DC and AD from file and print server. Can anyone give me a a ball park for what I should expect to pay for additional server OS licences? Could be perpetual or EES depending on prices. Only looking for really rough guide - 10s, 100s or 1,000s? I guess it would be Data Centre since Enterprise has gone.

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    160ish is what we pay on our EES for a Datacenter Licence

17. Thanks to Cache from:

jmak (15th August 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12