+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Windows 7 Licensing in Technical; Hi Guys, We've just bought 60 laptops from a company (won't name them just yet), we were promised they would ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Licensing

Hi Guys,

We've just bought 60 laptops from a company (won't name them just yet), we were promised they would come with Windows 7. The laptops originally came with Windows 8 (although there is no product key on the laptops) and so this company emailed us with a downgrade windows 7 key.

This key worked a couple of times but now it's asking us to ring each time to activate. So I've been in contact with them for the last week and they told me to ring Microsoft and argue for them to allow me use the key 60 times without having to use the phone activation.

I kept going around in circles on the phone to Microsoft and so i sent an email back. He said he's given that key out to their last 12 customers and it's worked OK. This last bit had alarm bells ringing! He also told me to go around the school and try to find an OEM machine that i could use the key off.

I used a key of another machine to test and it activated which would definitely point to the installations requiring an OEM key and not a Volume Licensing key.

I'm a bit lost on what i should do, does all this sound legit? i have no idea how the whole downgrading thing works?

Thanks
    Last edited by nathan; 5th July 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post
    The OEM key is for that machine only - to use it on any other machine would be wrong...as far as I am aware. This sounds highly irregular to me.

Thank Post
    That's what i thought was the case regarding OEM installs. I just didn't know if downgrade rights have anything to do with it. It's not like it's a small company or anything.

Thank Post
    Calling Microsoft is usually a waste of time - you could speak to 5 different people at 5 different times and get 5 different answers. As for the company you've dealt with...scale of company isn't always a factor in their integrity, but equally it could well be a member of staff who simply doesn't know what the rules are. There can obviously be downgrade rights from 8 to 7, but it very much depends on what type of licence was purchased or scheme that you run.

Thank Post
    We don't run any sort of licensing schemes here, we just buy as and when needed. Your right about calling Microsoft, really are useless!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    We don't run any sort of licensing schemes here, we just buy as and when needed. Your right about calling Microsoft, really are useless!
    If I were you I wouldn't accept their word. Ask them to provide confirmation as to what licensing agreement they have sold you the OS and under what agreement you are entitled to downgrade using a single key, and get it in writing. Then check with a rival company - not naming names, not even saying it has happened, simply that you are checking the licensing agreements available.

Thank Post
    I would ask the experts on here for advice @Millgate or @VeryPC

8. Thanks to fiza from:

VeryPC_Ed (9th July 2013)

Thank Post
    It doesnt sound legit to me. Surely the reseller should be calling MS for you????

Thank Post
    Sounds dodgy.

Potentially they could be using a system builders activation key which they could be perfectly entitled to do but they dont stop working after 5/6 installs.

MS will allow you to use the same activation key several times with an OEM licence but thats supposed to on the same machine.

Sounds very much like the person you dealt with has monumentally screwed up and doesnt want to return 60 laptops.

You need to get on the phone to them and demand that they either send you 60 Windows 7 OEM licences or you will be sending them all back as they have misled you.

What is the product code / model number of the laptops you have purhcased?

Thank Post
    I would demand that the company you purchased these from come down and sort it out. After all you specified you wanted Windows 7. This is why i'm grateful I've got an EES licensing agreement with a KMS server but I know in terms of expense this isn't fiesable for everyone.

Thank Post
    It sounds very iffy to me, reminds me of a company I worked for in the 90's that sold the same copy of Windows NT to at least 50 customers and pocketed the license money. I would say to them sort it out or have the laptops back.

Thank Post
    We've been supplied HP 650 laptops, they have the little square windows 8 sticker on the bottom but no stickers with the OEM product number.

Can you buy HP laptops with no OS installed?

We've already setup the master and cloned the 60 laptops, i hope they can come up with a solution that doesn't involve a re-install else they will be coming to do it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    We've been supplied HP 650 laptops, they have the little square windows 8 sticker on the bottom but no stickers with the OEM product number.

Can you buy HP laptops with no OS installed?

We've already setup the master and cloned the 60 laptops, i hope they can come up with a solution that doesn't involve a re-install else they will be coming to do it.
    The OEM sticker should be on there, but sometimes they come with a media pack or similar with the laptop itself, and the OEM info can often be found there. If you have Windows installed and no OEM, but are not part of a scheme that includes volume licensing, then serious questions need to be asked of your supplier.

Thank Post
    If you purchased Windows 8 Pro then you have downgrade rights for Windows 7 Professional and Vista Business.

Understanding downgrade rights

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    If you purchased Windows 8 Pro then you have downgrade rights for Windows 7 Professional and Vista Business.

Understanding downgrade rights
    I think the issue here is more about the legaility of the licence that was purchased in the first place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast