+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, EES Volume licensing and replacement PCs in Technical; Only recently our supplier of hardware has started telling us that we need to buy a windows license for every ...
    Thank Post

EES Volume licensing and replacement PCs

Only recently our supplier of hardware has started telling us that we need to buy a windows license for every PC regardless of whether it's replacing an already licensed PC or not.

What I can't understand is that we don't pay per PC, we pay per FTE.....so if someone came in and asked to see details on our licensing how on earth would they ever know if we had sufficient licensing or not? Seems very strange but hopefully someone here can explain it to me?

Thank Post
    You pay per FTE this covers the whole schools PCs, its an honour thing but you'd be liable if anyone questioned it. The Windows licence is an upgrade license so the PCs in question have to have an existing licence on it (any version for education).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As far as I'm aware, each PC you buy needs to have a windows licence, whether it's XP, Vista, 7, or 8, of whatever variety of wondows (Home, Pro, Ultimate) which you can then upgrade or downgrade to the version of Windows your school is using and you'll be licenced via the EES. I don't believe you can "trade" licences anymore.

However, how anyone is going to audit your licencing (and I don't know who does this?) I do not have a clue. As long as you can prove you've got an EES agreement with the correct Full Time Employee number, I would imagine that would cover any audit, unless they are going to inspect each machine and its purchase history to ensure they had a copy of windows preinstalled...

Thank Post
    You need some sort of Windows Lic on the machine itself - the EES allows you to upgrade to the latest version and covers you for CALS and Office etc (assuming that is the option you picked).

Some suppliers have told me you just need any windows lic - others that you must have a lic with an upgrade path to the version you want. I tend to play it safe and get an upgradable one to Win 7 just in case!

Thank Post
    You only need to have Win home OEM as the base licence. Anything else is a waste of money as its not required.

Thank Post
    upgrade paths are for business customers, schools can upgrade from even the starter edition of Windows 7 for example. (You may find that your KMS server disagrees

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    upgrade paths are for business customers, schools can upgrade from even the starter edition of Windows 7 for example. (You may find that your KMS server disagrees
    Thats probably why we're getting conflicting information - however with the mess we were in license wise when I started I might still use the old "and any windows lic that we can upgrade to Win 7 under EES" in my emails to suppliers!

For the OP - There is a "get legal" scheme that you can do where you do a bulk buy of licenses if you are a little short......

Thank Post
    OEMs MUST put a Windows OEM licence on a PC if it's going to run Windows. As someone said above, this can be the lowest available, and you can then use OVS-ES to upgrade to whichever pro version you want to use. Over the years, quite a few suppliers of hardware have won business because they were cheaper than their competition, and the reason they were cheaper was that they weren't paying for licences or were giving schools the "you don't need a licnece on the box, you can get a school licence" line. Cornwall had a huge problem with an outfit called Potential some years ago over this very issue, which Microsoft and the LA managed to resolve very nicely and at not too much loss to the schools.
    That's the problem: YOU are responsible for your establishment's licensing, and ignorance is no excuse in law. So, if the boxes don't have a licence sticker (or the mark left where some little toerag has peeled it off), then assume they are not licensed.
    As far as the "get legal" scheme goes, it helps your case if you bust the company that supplied the tin.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilbert View Post
    OEMs MUST put a Windows OEM licence on a PC if it's going to run Windows. As someone said above, this can be the lowest available, and you can then use OVS-ES to upgrade to whichever pro version you want to use. Over the years, quite a few suppliers of hardware have won business because they were cheaper than their competition, and the reason they were cheaper was that they weren't paying for licences or were giving schools the "you don't need a licnece on the box, you can get a school licence" line. Cornwall had a huge problem with an outfit called Potential some years ago over this very issue, which Microsoft and the LA managed to resolve very nicely and at not too much loss to the schools.
    That's the problem: YOU are responsible for your establishment's licensing, and ignorance is no excuse in law. So, if the boxes don't have a licence sticker (or the mark left where some little toerag has peeled it off), then assume they are not licensed.
    As far as the "get legal" scheme goes, it helps your case if you bust the company that supplied the tin.
    @MikeGilbert if you have a MAC OS X licences on a machine you can also use that as a base, doesn't have to windows in that case. Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    @MikeGilbert if you have a MAC OS X licences on a machine you can also use that as a base, doesn't have to windows in that case. Thanks
    Indeed. OS X is a qualifying license for some reason.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,927 Posts
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th June 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think OS/2 is any more.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Indeed. OS X is a qualifying license for some reason.
    Probably to draw people away from OS X

Thank Post
    It actually says "Apple Macintosh" so I don't know if that opens you up to more installs

EDIT: According to my 2009 Windows 7 upgrade doc.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 7th June 2013 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Probably to draw people away from OS X
    Not something I was aware of, so I stand corrected, but I think you're probably right. Though not sure of the cost/benefit, being as Apple kit in the main costs more for the same tin than vanilla Windows kit...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast