+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, EES Volume licensing and replacement PCs in Technical; Originally Posted by FN-GM Probably to draw people away from OS X or BootCamp perhaps?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Probably to draw people away from OS X
    or BootCamp perhaps?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    or BootCamp perhaps?
    Microsoft volume licensing can do that to you. Sorry, will​ do that to you...

Thank Post
    That's interesting, 2 years ago we were told that windows 98 licenses would no longer cover us under the upgrade procedure, but this says different.

So what's the cheapest option available today? Windows 7 starter licenses? or getting XP ones?

Stupidly all the licenses we've had in the past, we've never stuck the sticker on our PCs to show the license for that one.

EDIT: So how does this work when it comes to replacing PCs entirely? We use OSD like everyone else, so anything already on the machine is obliterated before a user touches it regardless of what is already on it, if that machine was previously covered by a windows license, why should i have to buy another one simply for new hardware? That's like me buying a new windows license at home every time i upgrade my PC....
    Last edited by mrbios; 10th June 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Well, if you have the £150 home retail version of Windows you can transfer your licence to a new machine. BUT if you PC came with an OEM licence then it's valid for only that hardware and would have to be replaced when the computer was. The OEM license is usually 1/2 the price of a retail one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Well, if you have the £150 home retail version of Windows you can transfer your licence to a new machine. BUT if you PC came with an OEM licence then it's valid for only that hardware and would have to be replaced when the computer was. The OEM license is usually 1/2 the price of a retail one.
    Not strictly true - EU courts ruled that OEM licenses are transferable. This is a part of the whole ability to resell OEM licenses per the 1991 Computer Software Directive (ratified into UK law as 'The Copyright (Computer Programs) Regulations 1992'). Namely, it is part of the 'first sale doctrine', whereby Microsoft exhaust their control over who can do what with the software once they've sold it (excluding the fact that its a single copy, for example).

However, this specific case (moving the software from one machine to another) hasn't been tested as yet - but a number of copyright and EU law firms have commented to this effect.
    Last edited by localzuk; 10th June 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Stupidly all the licenses we've had in the past, we've never stuck the sticker on our PCs to show the license for that one.
    The licence stickers come with the OEM licence from the manufacturer, unless you're building them yourself as an OEM, of course. And the retail version probably comes with a sticker too, but I've never bought it.
    The bottom line (as far as Microsoft are concerned) is that if you're buying a Windows PC from someone, they must supply it with a licence. Currently, the price for Windows 8 Pro built onto a PC from the major vendor I deal with is £83 ex VAT RRP, and standard Windows 8 is £57. There is an emerging markets flavour at £43, but the UK doesn't qualify - we're not a third world country yet, despite the state of the roads... Windows 7 is only available as Pro for £88. (And Linux is £2 to cover the cost of the DVD, if Windows isn't your thing)
    Where you end up in the smelly stuff is if you buy a PC with no licence and stick Windows on it using your Volume Licence, which is in breach of your licence terms.

As far as transferability of OEM licences and its legality goes, it's a minefield I don't want to cross myself...

Thank Post
    Thanks chaps, i understand this now (bar the confusing transfer ability thing everyone else is confused about)

Guess I'd best start going round and checking how many licenses we need then :|

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12