+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, *URGENT* Licensing help needed! in Technical; Hi guys and girls, Need some help with this, I apologise it's a bit long... Grab a coffee and read ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation *URGENT* Licensing help needed!

Hi guys and girls,

Need some help with this, I apologise it's a bit long... Grab a coffee and read on if you dare!

I have recently taken on the ICT technician role for a smallish Junior School.

A question has been asked about our Microsoft Licensing and the buck has been planted fairly and squarly on my desk.

For complicated reasons (previous tech left a bit swiftly and the firm that did support and who were also the channel partner are a bit miffed the school dropped them... and I've had no reply to various questions) .
    I have nobody else to help me and so wondered if anyone here has the answers / advice I need.

From digging around in the schools paperwork, I am a bit worried that they may not actually be licensed!

I can log on to MVLS using the previous techs credentials and this 'I think' confirms it.

I have dug through various forum posts here and to be honest I have more questions than when I started...

So my questions:

1, How much trouble are we in and how likely are Microsoft to swoop in S.W.A.T. style, also if we license now will they know we have a period unlicensed and charge us?!
    2, Who on earth do I call to get us licensed? The last paperwork I can find says we had something called a 'Microsoft School 3 Confirmation' (the bursar says she believed it was for 3 years, but I'm not so sure).
    3, We have discs sent to us after 'I think' our agreement ran out, why is this?
    4, Why does the MVLS website show every product under the sun with downloads and keys, are we licensed for all of it?
    5, How do I get the previous tech removed from MVLS and removed without ringing MS alarm bells?
    6, How can I be sure that he hasn't downloaded a .csv with all keys etc. and is using it (there are 2 Server 08 R2 keys and 4 Office 2010 keys used and we are not running them?!).

Help me EDUGEEK, you're my only hope!

Kol
    Last edited by Koldov; 7th March 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Kol,

RELAX

First things first, we can help you out. Do you know your last agreement number? If you do, PM or email me and I'll get it checked out for you.

If you are licensed, I should be able to tell you which partner you're with and when it runs out. If your not, I'll quote you on a new one.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to give me a shout

Neil

3. Thanks to Neil-Millgate from:

Koldov (8th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Was in a similar position - found that when I took over MS licensing was 'patchy' i contacted various companies and spent about 2 months trying to find out what we had and what i could do about it.

In the end found that using the Microsoft "get legal" scheme (I think thats what they called it) meant that we paid a cost per machine for a license and opted into EES to sort out Cals and office.

We used Novatech for it - however Im sure that other companies could do similar.

However if you can log in and still see code and download products it would look like you have some sort of licensing agreement still in place.

As for Windows licensing - do all your machines have the licensing sticker on them?
    Last edited by CamelMan; 7th March 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the input guys!
    In discussions with Neil-Millgate at the moment trying to work out what is what...
    It's a bit tricky as many have said, interestingly reading through this forum section though there seems to be a lot of general confusion about what is covered and what isn't. I'm sure I've seen a post (that I can't track down now) where someone said he was only licensing a certain number of machines or something because everything else had a CoA label, then someone else saying every machine on site had to be covered in a School agreement and someone else saying his School wasn't even in an agreement?!
    Then there is another thread about imaging using volume license media and serial key on OEM machines with OEM CoA's.... Then only needing to buy one volume license instance and re-imaging the whole site if it is the same version as on the CoA! Why would you even bother? Is this to make mass image rollout easier using one serial key? This is where I start to lose the plot... Having never had to worry about licensing and re-imaging machines before!
    Very interested in your comment about CoA labels CamelMan, as there are quite a few without and I can't believe they are not covered somewhere, somehow as they are proper legacy machines (kicking about in the classrooms and offices since c.2000!). Nobody really can remember much about them, only that they came from our old outsourced tech support firm, who we no longer have any contact with. Looks like they've all been imaged with the same volume license serial key, from the same image on the same day. This means if the previous tech knew his stuff he should have made sure they had a base license first (and by default a CoA)? Although I have found a very old receipt for the exact same amount of NTv4 CAL's... This is just to allow them to connect to the server? Not actual OS licenses as such, I think...
    Anyway, waiting to see what comes back from Neil.

Kol

Thank Post
    Its not a massive issue just breath a little. If your school has not licensed you are not at fault having just taken the roll. The best thing you can do is to sort it (Which you are doing) Be careful with the vlmc when you agreement expires it doesn't seem to deny you access to the service. I was in a similar position when I started because all that I could find was a current office license and a VLK cd wallet with loads of disks in it. I gave RM a call and they told us we had a current office license so i started putting all our pcs back to the COA os because I couldnt account for any other licenses (Just in case). Now we have office yearly and windows yearly licensing that allows us to put the os of our choice on any pc using the FTE Count. Cals was a issue for us as well but I just did the maths and purchased what was necessary to keep us legal. Im sure Microsoft or any Microsoft partner will help you get legal without too much fuss. They will probably care more that you are sorting it than just hiding in the shadows. The school also need to understand that these things are not free and if they didn't have room in the budget last year they need to for next.

If you need any more advise just let me know

Squeeky

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Thanks for the input guys!
    In discussions with Neil-Millgate at the moment trying to work out what is what...

Then there is another thread about imaging using volume license media and serial key on OEM machines with OEM CoA's.... Then only needing to buy one volume license instance and re-imaging the whole site if it is the same version as on the CoA! Why would you even bother? Is this to make mass image rollout easier using one serial key? This is where I start to lose the plot... Having never had to worry about licensing and re-imaging machines before!

Kol
    Just noticed this thread. Hopefully Neil at Millgate as got you all sorted now. If in doubt, EES can be great value for money and can solve a lot of licensing headaches!

Just to pick on the the general gist of question highlighted.

All machines must have a CoA cert to be properly licensed. Doesn't matter whether it is OEM or Retail, it must be there. Depending on other licensing purchased, it doesn't have to be for the version of Windows used on the computer.

All volume licenses are sold as 'upgrade' licenses. You must have a OEM or Retail copy of windows (the CoA certificate) to be able to use any volume license.

Regardless of the name "upgrade", volume licenses are generally used in addition to the CoA license for one of two reasons:

1) Imaging. It's against the EULA to make multiple images of OEM or Retail copies. So if you have Win8 Pro CoA and you want to image to 30 machines - you need 30 upgrade licenses!

2) Downgrading. The upgrade license allows you to use any previous version of Windows. So the computer might have a Windows 7 Starter OEM CoA, A Windows 8Pro upgrade license, but actually be running Windows XP. The upgrade license allows any version up to and including the latest.

On the Subject of CAL's. All devices connected to the network and using any service hosted by any server must have a CAL of equal or greater version to access that server.

So if you are running Windows 2003 domain controllers you need either Windows 2003, 2008 or 2012 CAL's for every computer in order to be able login, for example.

Thank Post
    sorry to jump in here but
    On the Subject of CAL's. All devices connected to the network and using any service hosted by any server must have a CAL of equal or greater version to access that server.
    Does that mean you cant have a vista client on say a 2003 server ? even tho you have got 2003 device cals for that 2003 server ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeky View Post
    sorry to jump in here but

Does that mean you cant have a vista client on say a 2003 server ? even tho you have got 2003 device cals for that 2003 server ?
    The OS is not important. You can have XP, Vista, 7 or 8 client connecting to a 2003 server as long as you have the relevant CAL.

If you connect to a 2003 server then you need a 2003 or higher CAL (Device or User dependant on which is best for you)

Thank Post
    Thanks thats fine. I was having a small panic then.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread