+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Windows 8 License for Mac in Technical; I am trying to get my head round how to to obtain Windows licenses for use with Bootcamp on our ...

Thank Post

Question Windows 8 License for Mac

I am trying to get my head round how to to obtain Windows licenses for use with Bootcamp on our Macs: we would probably install Windows 7, but it would seem silly not to license 8 if we have to purchase.

We are shortly to enter an EES agreement, in this previous discussion, edugeeks are all saying that EES would cover Windows on the Macs - OS X counting as the base OS. However I have not been able to find a Microsoft source on this and my supplier tells me that Microsoft says it is not the case. Does anyone know if the situation has changed with Windows 8?

Even more baffling, if EES does not count, what is the correct license to purchase for use of Windows 8 on a Mac with Bootcamp or virtualised in a school? Now there is no full retail license, it seems as if none of the licenses are actually right. It is not an upgrade; we are not reselling the hardware so we cannot use system builder OEM license; it is not for personal use so we cannot use System Builder personal use license.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Jollity (10th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    I am trying to get my head round how to to obtain Windows licenses for use with Bootcamp on our Macs: we would probably install Windows 7, but it would seem silly not to license 8 if we have to purchase.

We are shortly to enter an EES agreement, in this previous discussion, edugeeks are all saying that EES would cover Windows on the Macs - OS X counting as the base OS. However I have not been able to find a Microsoft source on this and my supplier tells me that Microsoft says it is not the case. Does anyone know if the situation has changed with Windows 8?

Even more baffling, if EES does not count, what is the correct license to purchase for use of Windows 8 on a Mac with Bootcamp or virtualised in a school? Now there is no full retail license, it seems as if none of the licenses are actually right. It is not an upgrade; we are not reselling the hardware so we cannot use system builder OEM license; it is not for personal use so we cannot use System Builder personal use license.

All the EES licences are upgrades, meaning that you have to have a Windows OEM OS on the station no matter what, so your OSx stations would need an OEM Windows (home premium to be cheapest) then with the EES you could put enterprise w/ KMS support or whatever version you wanted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    All the EES licences are upgrades, meaning that you have to have a Windows OEM OS on the station no matter what, so your OSx stations would need an OEM Windows (home premium to be cheapest) then with the EES you could put enterprise w/ KMS support or whatever version you wanted.
    They consider Windows an upgrade from OSX, if you want to run both (OSX and Win) you'll need SA though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    That does seem to settle it. It also led me to a more detailed version here. At first the table seemed to imply that Macs purchased after the EES agreement was purchased did not count, but then I noticed the "academic & charity" column. So OS X counts as a qualifying OS, and software assurance that comes with EES allows for dual booting OS X and Windows.

I would still be interested to know what Microsoft think you are supposed to purchase if you do not have EES, though that is not relevant to us.

Thank Post
    Lol I hadn't realised! We came across the same thing looking at thin clients however these had linux on them meaning you had to buy windows to use the SA vda licence which was pretty rubbish pretty good with OSx though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread