+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, Hell with Microsoft Licensing!!!!! :( in Technical; I cant quote you as we are not sponsors so I dont want to seen as touting for business - ...

Thank Post
    I cant quote you as we are not sponsors so I dont want to seen as touting for business - I sit on here just to help where I can as I appreciate these things can be a minefield :-). It depends on how you want to do it and if there is flexibility. You are right the terminal option can be very expensive but it should be less than the 40k you mention if you look at the plans and the various student options - we have also started to see schools look at alternatives and using the logical groupings around the Office options as a way to bring costs down however this does of course not provide the desktop experience of using something such as RDS, VMware View etc
    Your AER or EdLAR will be able to cost model all the options over a number of years so you can see whats best.
    Last edited by KeithMPhoenix; 6th February 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Thank Post
    I would like to interject this: whilst I cannot and will not name names, I was put in touch with a senior educational business manager for education who told me that provided you informed users they had to have the same version of Office on the station that was remoting into the TS, and provided you did everything you could to police that, Microsoft would take the stance that you were doing your best to remain within the legal parameters, and that if an audit did kick off about it, you'd be given time to remedy the situation and they would work with you over a period of time.

I would add that this was the third person I spoke to there, and was the third different response I received.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    ^ not sure I'd be happy putting my career (and the reputation of the school) on the line because some unnamed person may have said we could 'get away with it' until we are audited.
    nearly 2000 potentially unlicensed machines would be taken quite seriously by the courts. I'd like to see that in writing - everyone I have spoken to (apart from the odd dodgy re-seller looking for a quick buck) has told me it needs to be licensed correctly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    ^ not sure I'd be happy putting my career (and the reputation of the school) on the line because some unnamed person may have said we could 'get away with it' until we are audited.
    nearly 2000 potentially unlicensed machines would be taken quite seriously by the courts. I'd like to see that in writing - everyone I have spoken to (apart from the odd dodgy re-seller looking for a quick buck) has told me it needs to be licensed correctly.
    I didn't offer it as advice. Simply relating what happened.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    I didn't offer it as advice. Simply relating what happened.
    understood. I could understand that a senior MS business manager may offer that as advice to stop a school changing to a different product.

Thank Post
    Itís my understanding that you would have to buy external connector licenses for the programs you want the students to access. This is where it gets complicated. You have to purchase an external connector license for every application you are running e.g.

You have an Exchange Server running on one server, you would need:

1 x Windows Server external connector license
    1 x Exchange external connector license

Also if you had a SharePoint Server using two servers with the database held on just one of the servers:

1 x Windows Server external connector license
    2 x SharePoint external connector license
    1 x SQL external connector license

You basically have to get an external connector license for every server and service a user may touch directly or indirectly during their session. If you wanted to run an RDS server things get really messy.

You could look at using Office 365 or some kind of hosted solution. If you speak to a MS licensing partner, they should be able to get you the right solution together. You may want to talk to then regarding your UAG external connector too, as I think this may allow you to run services from home without the need for external connector licenses but Iím not 100%.

Good luck

Thank Post

8. Thanks to TronXP from:

Gibson335 (6th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    The issue here is, if you have 1000 student users, a number of them are likely to already have the latest version of Office. An audit of the student user base is, perhaps, a good place to start. Why licence their use if they already are? Alternatively, save your money and use GoogleApps instead ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See, thinking about this I would probably consider the following licencing to see how it would compare:

Core CAL Suite (User & Device) - Student Offering/Option
    Windows Server™ 2012 Remote Desktop Services CAL - Student Offering/Option

My probably naieve assumption being if you licence your student count under the student offering/option for both the Core CAL Suite as per user and you licence the RDS CAL under the student option, then you have everything covered under there (RDS CAL for your students to connect and then the Core CAL pack would cover access to your servers within the Windows CAL and Office under the Office CAL).

Looking through the product list, there is a student offering/option available for the UAG, so I would guess that's not covered under the staff FTE for student devices either.

I'd like to live in a logical simple world though so I'm probably way off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12