+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, EES, Home Use Program and Governors in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts

EES, Home Use Program and Governors

Governors are volunteers and not paid by their schools or anyone else for the work they do.

We are looking at digitising our GB for the sake of reducing the number of trees we cut down... we're looking at remote access to documents via our VLE amongst other things. It has, however, raised a couple of questions in my mind.

As Governors are not paid, would they count as zero from Microsoft's FTE point of view? Many Governors undoubtedly put in more than 200 hours per year, not necessarily in school hours, but they are all volunteers!

Under Microsoft's Home Use Program a copy of Microsoft Office Pro can be bought by employees with a school/company email account for £8.95.

Governors are not employees, but if they had school email accounts would/could they also benefit from this offer?

Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your thoughts

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Either they are covered under the EES agreement and are paid for by the school or they are not. The entitlement is only for enrolled staff so you could add them to the agreement so that they can access HUP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Either they are covered under the EES agreement and are paid for by the school or they are not. The entitlement is only for enrolled staff so you could add them to the agreement so that they can access HUP.
    Part time staff who work (are paid for) less than 200 hours per year come free... so I see this as a grey area. I'm not saying all volunteers would be entitled. I am looking at Governors in particular who are not paid at all, but could be classified as school staff.

If Governors have remote access and logins to the school's servers ... should they be classified as school employees for the purpose of EES... does the school have to pay for them even though the Governors are not paid?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    If Governors have remote access and logins to the school's servers ... should they be classified as school employees for the purpose of EES... does the school have to pay for them even though the Governors are not paid?
    I thought so but I could be wrong.

Thank Post
    I thought EES was somehow tied to computers, so employees over 200 hours who would not normally be allocated a PC/Laptop (for instance most kitchen staff), don't count in the number MS is after. If that's the case, governors wouldn't normally be allocated a device by the school so would be in the same boat. My memory on it it hazy though and I find the whole MS licensing thing a bit of a nightmare.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    He is right, you dont count people who dont use school computers and this would include governors.
    TBH if they have a school email account I would go down the home use route.
    We send all governors stuff out by email and I think we only print out one copy for a governor who doesnt do computing. We have never even been asked if we have office - presumably we all do or there would have been problems!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I thought EES was somehow tied to computers, so employees over 200 hours who would not normally be allocated a PC/Laptop (for instance most kitchen staff), don't count in the number MS is after. If that's the case, governors wouldn't normally be allocated a device by the school so would be in the same boat. My memory on it it hazy though and I find the whole MS licensing thing a bit of a nightmare.
    I agree about computers, but if Governors are using remote access to data on the school network from their own computers does this still constitute a user?

And, given the attractive price, Home Use Program Microsoft Office would be an attractive offer to Governors. (Not that I need it. My OH gets it though his employer)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On the MVLS site though the entitlement number for HUP is the same as the paid for employee count, they may be covered free for use in the school but I don't think that SA applies to them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    On the MVLS site though the entitlement number for HUP is the same as the paid for employee count, they may be covered free for use in the school but I don't think that SA applies to them.
    So low hour part-time employees can have logins that u don't pay EES for, but not take part in HUP?

Thank Post
    I agree about computers, but if Governors are using remote access to data on the school network from their own computers does this still constitute a user?
    I'm not exactly clear what you mean by user. Governors don't come into EES numbers because they are not an employee (no contract no matter how many hours they 'work'). If you are using exchange or active directory, I see no reason why you can't give them accounts and email addresses ('users'?). We create accounts for all sorts of things - some not even human. In terms of HUP benefit I would guess governors are not entitled - the benefit is for employees, which governors aren't.

However, ISTR the HUP programme is clear that it isn't the schools job to enforce the licence. I also seem to recall that they encourage you to advertise it widely. All someone needs is the code and an active email address at the domain you have registered. We advertise it with an "all staff" email !

I'm always surprised at the lack of take-up. We advertise it every year and according to the stats on the licensing site, we get only <10% uptake (and I'm sure 3 of them are the PFY's cat).

Thank Post
    OK. Things are starting to clarify now. Licensing should not be affected by the governors ahaving logins and remote access under EES.

With regard to HUP, Governors are not school employees. However, the ones I'm talking about are becoming very active electronically for the school. Being able to offer Office on HUP for them (they will shortly have school email and logins) would be a huge benefit.... not least to the Clerks (multi-academy trust) who are coping with various versions of various office packages from the Governors! It'll still be a mess, but when you can point someone at a cheap Office 2010 update, there is a hope that some of them would sort it out. It sounds like it might be worthwhile to push it.

I understand about licence enforcement. I suspect that at some point M$ may ping the purchasing email of employees who have taken up HUP to see if the email account is still live and zap product keys where they fail to get a response.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So low hour part-time employees can have logins that u don't pay EES for, but not take part in HUP?
    Just from the way is displays the available count that is how I thought it worked.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread