+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, General Music License/Software in Technical; Hi all Not sure if this is 100% the right section. Students from the school I work at have decided ...

Thank Post

General Music License/Software

Hi all

Not sure if this is 100% the right section. Students from the school I work at have decided they would like music (current chart music) played in the main hall on the sound system at lunchtimes.

They mentioned Spotify, however I looked into the t&c's and Spotify Premium is not allowed in schools.

Does anyone know of a solution and cost etc?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by z_matt View Post
    Students from the school I work at have decided they would like music (current chart music) played in the main hall on the sound system at lunchtimes.
    That's your problem, right there.

You don't take orders from students.

Licence wise, I doubt you're covered. You'd be broadcasting music to a large audience for no reason.

Thank Post
    What about streemining Radio 1 on BBC Iplayer, I am not to sure of the T&Cs but where it is a public broadcast that is being played over your sound system.

Just an Idea

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That's your problem, right there.

You don't take orders from students.

Licence wise, I doubt you're covered. You'd be broadcasting music to a large audience for no reason.
    The idea has been brought forward by the Student Voice team after feedback from many students that they would like music to be played at lunchtimes. This has then been fed on to me as a request by appropriate staff because they know there will be a licensing issue.

I know we are currently not covered, however there is the possibility of funding for a licence (price depending of course).

Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry View Post
    What about streemining Radio 1 on BBC Iplayer, I am not to sure of the T&Cs but where it is a public broadcast that is being played over your sound system.

Just an Idea
    Thats a good idea! They have said they would like to select the songs themselves but I think this idea of Radio 1 may be a better alternative.

90% of the time its the latest chart music and most likely allowed to play licence wise (hopefully)

I will put forward this idea. Although it would still be nice to find out if there is a Spotify type product that can be used in schools if anyone does know of one?

Thanks, Matt

Thank Post
    an extra 2pence worth of students selecting their own tracks, on Spotify they use the album (not the clean) version of songs, you and other members of staff really do not want to risk the accidental playing of explicit languages at lunchtimes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry View Post
    an extra 2pence worth of students selecting their own tracks, on Spotify they use the album (not the clean) version of songs, you and other members of staff really do not want to risk the accidental playing of explicit languages at lunchtimes
    Yeah I brought this to the attention to the member of staff who has requested this. It is something that concerns me (even if members of staff are meant to be moderating playlists).

The only way I think they can get what they want playlist wise is if out there somewhere there is an education/public focused product for this sort of thing which only makes available suitable songs and includes a suitable licence.

The question is does this product exist

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    It's interesting reading the PRS Licensing agreement. See here

Schools
    Following the exemption defined in the CDPA, PRS for Music does not license music use as part of the national curriculum or at any educational establishment where the audience comprises teachers and pupils (and other persons directly connected with the activities of the establishment) and the performance is given by a teacher or pupil (or by any person for the purposes of instruction), in the course of the establishment’s activities. Other music use in schools, colleges and universities does require a Music Licence. We have special tariffs in place for these organisations. For example, for a very reasonable licence fee, schools can use unlimited music throughout the year.
    Schools and further education colleges are licensed through our agent CEFM.
    Under the Universities and Higher Education exemptions section (my bold)
    In dining/living areas of student accommodation (such as kitchens), where access is limited to students resident in the specific building and where the use is consistent with normal domestic music use. This does not include rooms which are accessible by other students, rooms used for activities such as clubs, meetings, parties or discos or areas where catering is provided, such as refectories.
    In a nutshell, you definitely can't stream even Radio 1 without a PRS license.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grooveshark? No idea how it jives with their T&Cs but it's used by a lot of students round here.

You would need both a PRS licence and a PPL licence - they cover different labels - but you may be covered on that front by your LEA, particularly of you're still an LA school. See copyright_licensing_in_schools_jan10.pdf

Thank Post
    In terms of licensing (which you will need for ANY music played in any way outside of a lesson setting or performance organised by the school) the following applies:

Schools
    Following the exemption defined in the CDPA, PRS for Music does not license music use as part of the national curriculum or at any educational establishment where the audience comprises teachers and pupils (and other persons directly connected with the activities of the establishment) and the performance is given by a teacher or pupil (or by any person for the purposes of instruction), in the course of the establishment’s activities. Other music use in schools, colleges and universities does require a Music Licence. We have special tariffs in place for these organisations. For example, for a very reasonable licence fee, schools can use unlimited music throughout the year.
    Schools and further education colleges are licensed through our agent CEFM.
    Taken from Do I need a Music Licence? (near the bottom of the page)

Thank Post
    You will need the relevant music licences. However a small ray of help check with the local council/education authority they will hold such that covers individual education establishments under their control.

Thank Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'd just like to clarify the Spotify issue. If we have a PPL and a PRS license are we OK to use Spotify in school?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'd just like to clarify the Spotify issue. If we have a PPL and a PRS license are we OK to use Spotify in school?
    In a word, no .. Learn more/General Questions - Spotify .. which states:

Can I use Spotify to play music in my bar, restaurant, store, school etc?
    No, the Terms & Conditions that you agree to when registering for Spotify state that Spotify is for personal, non-commercial use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread