+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, sccm 2012 licensing in Technical; ...

Thank Post

sccm 2012 licensing

does anyone know if this is included with ees. SQL is but i cant seem to get the same answer from 2 people about sccm and from the bit ive played with it on vms (mainly i want rid of sophos end endpoint and the other bits like software/image deployment look good). If not any ideas on tough costs are we taking £10's of pounds or £1000's?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what I've been looking into, yes. The SQL license for SCCM is included with the rights to run SCCM. The only licences you need to buy in order to use SCCM is the management licences for the devices you want to manage, there is no central server license. The EES suite, both Core and Enterprise, comes with SCCM licenses for the desktops. If you want to use it to manage any servers you'll need to buy server manager licenses separately.

Or at least that's my reading off it...

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

sted (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    does anyone know if this is included with ees. SQL is but i cant seem to get the same answer from 2 people about sccm and from the bit ive played with it on vms (mainly i want rid of sophos end endpoint and the other bits like software/image deployment look good). If not any ideas on tough costs are we taking £10's of pounds or £1000's?
    SCCM clients are with ESS, you need to buy server licences for your SCCM server(s), WSUS and DPM

5. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

sted (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    presumably if i already have server 08(for arguments sake) i have a lic to run server and wsus not sure i want or need dpm

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    presumably if i already have server 08(for arguments sake) i have a lic to run server and wsus not sure i want or need dpm
    You may have a licence to run server08/08r2, but you need a SCCM server licence for the management server and wsus, per cpu.

8. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

sted (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The server software itself is separate to EES. I have SCCM2012 with SQL down as about £75 in June this year (SysCtrCnfgMgrSvrwSQL ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y AP)

And yes, it's brilliant if you've not had anything like it before. I'm loving how easy software deployment is now.

10. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

sted (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    You may have a licence to run server08/08r2, but you need a SCCM server licence for the management server and wsus, per cpu.
    Microsoft | Server & Cloud | Pricing & Licensing

Unless I'm reading this wrong it says

License required only for endpoints being managed. No additional System Center licenses are needed for management servers or SQL Server technology
    So, my understanding is, you only need the server ML if you want to use System Center to manage the server, not to run System Center on the server to manage other servers/desktops.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 18th October 2012 at 02:21 PM.

12. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

sted (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,914 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, a clarification - the license for the server is a separate license available under the EES-OVS license scheme, but it isn't included as part of the core or enterprise 'pack'.

The contents of the pack includes CALs for it, and for using SCEP (their anti-virus package).

You generally now just buy the full System Centre 'pack' which covers SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM, SCDPM, SCSM, etc...

Its what we've bought, and as sonofsanta says, it was about £75 for that license. It also covers 2 processors.

And yes, if you want to manage servers with it (other than SCVMM) you need server ML licenses I believe.

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

sted (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Again, the information that I am reading on Microsoft's website (linked above) suggest that these server packs @localzuk and @sonofsanta are buying are ML licenses for managing a server.

For instance, if I wanted to manage the virtual machines on my 3 Hyper-V servers I could buy 3 SCVMM ML's or 3 SC 'packs'. The pack would give me other management features I could use to manage the server with - SCOM possibly being the most useful.

Microsoft's literature suggests there are no licences for running the software itself. In fact all the literature I can find suggests Microsoft are moving to a "client licencing model". Only the endpoint devices that needs managing needs licencing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Again, the information that I am reading on Microsoft's website (linked above) suggest that these server packs @localzuk and @sonofsanta are buying are ML licenses for managing a server.

For instance, if I wanted to manage the virtual machines on my 3 Hyper-V servers I could buy 3 SCVMM ML's or 3 SC 'packs'. The pack would give me other management features I could use to manage the server with - SCOM possibly being the most useful.

Microsoft's literature suggests there are no licences for running the software itself. In fact all the literature I can find suggests Microsoft are moving to a "client licencing model". Only the endpoint devices that needs managing needs licencing.
    My advice is via an MS Licensing reseller - ie. this is what was said to me when I bought it, in 2 separate schools (from 2 different resellers).

But as we all know, Microsoft licensing is notoriously difficult to understand - to the extent that MS also get it wrong on occasion!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here we go....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...7jwnVjOTgafphQ

(if the link works)

Point's 1 and 10 in the FAQ. AFAIK it's official MS documentation...
    Last edited by tmcd35; 18th October 2012 at 03:22 PM.

18. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

localzuk (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Here we go....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...7jwnVjOTgafphQ

(if the link works)

Point's 1 and 10 in the FAQ. AFAIK it's official MS documentation...
    Indeed, I was just having a read of that. It does appear you're right. Stupid resellers!

20. Thanks to localzuk from:

tmcd35 (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But as we all know, Microsoft licensing is notoriously difficult to understand - to the extent that MS also get it wrong on occasion!
    Agreed! Which is why I try to research products I'm interested in (such as this) to the nth degree and then question, and re-question threads such as this to see if my assumptions are wrong (and hopefully get pointed in the right direction).

I'm looking at getting an EES license early next year and there are a number of associated products I'm interested in - SCVMM, App-V, SCCM and SCEP. So I'm researching them all as much as I can at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So I'm confused - what licence do I need if I wanted to manage the whole network with SCCM 2012 and I held an EES agreement?

I thought I still needed to purchase server licences, is that right? And would that be per physical box or per virtual windows server?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lol, when you say entire network, what are you thinking? What do you want to be able to do?

My understanding of SCCM is it's automating OS installs. Not sure why you'd want that for servers unless you regularly build loads of VM's. If you want to use it for servers as well as desktops then youl need a ML for each server you want to use it with. If you only need it for configuring desktops then the EES includes all the licences you require.

It's other parts of the SC suite that, to me, seems more server related. So if you wanted to monitor your servers (SNMP) then you'd need a SCOM server ML for each server you want to monitor. If you use VM's then you might want a server ML for each Virtual Host for SCVMM. If you want to use multiple SC products to manager a server then you might want a SC ML pack that includes licences for each component you want to use on that server.

Again, usual MS licensing disclaimer - thats my reading of the rules based on documents linked to above, I could well be wrong (see the rest of this thread).

24. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Cache (19th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast