+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, EES license in Technical; So I'm a little confused. We have been sposored by microsoft for many years but that sponsorship has now run ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

EES license

So I'm a little confused.

We have been sposored by microsoft for many years but that sponsorship has now run out. We "own" the licenses we already have under a "select 6" agreement. This includes Server 2008 R2, cals, and Office 2010 professional.

So now I am looking to get the new Microsoft servers and a few other things. What do I need to buy?

I've got a quote for the EES agreement relating to how many full time staff we have, what does that license actually include if we buy it?

Thank Post
    Windows 7 Enterprise Upgrade (with software assurance so you can put Win 8 on now as well), Office 2010 (with SA too) and a bunch of cals which vary if you go for core or enterprise. See Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - EES for full breakdown.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Spooky - I have just this minute heard from Civica that the LA have terminated their licensing agreement with microsoft and I am not sure where this leaves me. Why they didnt tell us I really dont know.
    We are unlikely to make any big purchases in the next few years as the IT suite and netbooks are all Windows 7 and Office 2010 and I have a new Server 2008R2, and so I dont think EES is going to be the way forward for us.
    I really dont understand all this and have no idea which is the right way for us. Any advice gratefully accepted

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Sub question:
    Given that EES covers licenses for MSOffice - how does this now square with th Office 365 'A3' plan?
    Compare Office 365 Plans and Pricing for Schools - Office 365

Do you pay EES for Office and then pay again with the A3 plan?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    When Office 365 was launched I was told by a Microsoft rep that there would be preferential pricing for EES customers. We don't have a paid plan, so I don't know if that actually is the case, but hopefully someone else can verify.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Windows 7 Enterprise Upgrade (with software assurance so you can put Win 8 on now as well), Office 2010 (with SA too) and a bunch of cals which vary if you go for core or enterprise. See Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - EES for full breakdown.
    So basically I get nothing extra (we are already licensed for windows 7 and office 2010).

I dont care about the steaming failure that will be Windows 8

What I do care about though is the server 2012 licenses. How much are these?
    Last edited by zag; 10th October 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    So basically I get nothing extra (we are already licensed for windows 7 and office 2010).

I dont care about the steaming failure that will be Windows 8

What I do care about though is the server 2012 licenses. How much are these?
    Datacenter 2 processor - £175ish
    Enterprise - doesn't exist any more
    Standard - £30ish I believe

Thank Post
    If you have sufficent licences for your current devices then it won't be worth moving over, but when you get round to your next upgrade cycle it might be worth looking then, as the cost will be on number of staff over 200 hrs of computer use instead of number of computers (which for us was a saving of thousands last year). Only downside is the annual payment, but even so it meant that after 3 years we're still quids in compared to buying the same licenses via select last year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    When Office 365 was launched I was told by a Microsoft rep that there would be preferential pricing for EES customers. We don't have a paid plan, so I don't know if that actually is the case, but hopefully someone else can verify.
    For education Office 365 is free

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not convinced that Server licences are worthwhile under EES. I'm looking at going into EES next year for desktop licences but sticking with Academic Select for server. I can't see us wanting to upgrade our server OS often enough to make the annual subscriptions affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Datacenter 2 processor - £175ish
    Enterprise - doesn't exist any more
    Standard - £30ish I believe
    Those prices look about right for what I was paying under our LEA held Academic Select Agreement. We are looking at becoming an Academy and I've just received a quote for us as a standalone legal entity separate from the LEA. Prices were closer to £90 for standard and £500 for Datacenter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    For education Office 365 is free
    Not entirely: Compare Office 365 Plans and Pricing for Schools - Office 365

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm not convinced that Server licences are worthwhile under EES. I'm looking at going into EES next year for desktop licences but sticking with Academic Select for server. I can't see us wanting to upgrade our server OS often enough to make the annual subscriptions affordable.

Those prices look about right for what I was paying under our LEA held Academic Select Agreement. We are looking at becoming an Academy and I've just received a quote for us as a standalone legal entity separate from the LEA. Prices were closer to £90 for standard and £500 for Datacenter.
    Part of the thing with EES is lack of hassle - you just give a number, and pay the price yearly. No having to handle multiple license types.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Part of the thing with EES is lack of hassle - you just give a number, and pay the price yearly. No having to handle multiple license types.
    Except for the things it doesn't cover, like non-upgrade licenses.

Thank Post
    EES can look like an amazing deal when viewed in the right light. If you are paying thousands per year for antivirus, web and mail filtering, then by switching to the MS options bundled with EES (I believe Enterprise is needed for mail filtering) then you can effectively pay for EES in the savings made by not paying for these elsewhere. In effect, you pay MS for your protection and then get free access to the latest Office and Windows! If you are in the position where these services are supplied by a local learning grid, then they may not be happy about un-bundling them, in which case you may be able to save again by switching to a non-LEA ISP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Except for the things it doesn't cover, like non-upgrade licenses.
    Not come across anything it doesn't cover yet! What doesn't it cover?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast