+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Licensing Questions Thread, EES license in Technical; Originally Posted by zag I still don't get why anyone pays 1000's for antivirus, when there are perfectly good free ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I still don't get why anyone pays 1000's for antivirus, when there are perfectly good free clients available! Managed anti virus is such a con.
    Only one I know of is Panda. I've used it in a school as a stopgap but especially in secondaries I don't believe it's worth risking unmanaged AV. How would you know you've had an infection somewhere, out of several hundred workstations? The first warning you might get from your management point relating to the first infected station a) could save your entire network b) gives you a starting place and a likely source of infection c) due to point b gives you someone to educate or something to fix d) centrally watch your entire network's protection.
    Otherwise, let's take a typical modern infection. It gets onto a single PC in a room you rarely go to. It disables the AV protection so no warnings come up for the user. By the time the next user has called to say they're getting a lot of strange popups or you remote in to find 25 copies of Babylon Toolbar on the machine, it's already spread to anything it can connect to. Within half an hour you've got half a school to re-image and a lot of downtime to explain to SLT. The machines can be locked down to high-heaven but when it hijacks a system process no locking down will have any effect on it. I don't even agree with the idea of some management companies who provide free AV as part of their MIS deals (yes, Capita - at least in Northants anyway, you get McAfee for any station with SIMS on including server - entirely unmanaged)
    Tell me that's not worth a managed package? And again with EES you're 95% of the way to a full license for SCCM and it's management properties.
    Even if you don't - thousands on a package? 1.50 per station typically. OK it adds up for a lot of stations but again it shows you can get value for money from EES. In the majority of cases it really isn't worth the risk. I've seen what damage a simple virus can do to a school and I've been personally responsible for a cleanup solution used across this county. It's not worth it.

As for licensing in general it's always worth doing *all* the math. Your school might not be in a financial position to go for a subscription based licensing scheme but there's lots you can do to keep costs down. If you've only 50 stations and they've recently been bought so are up to date, perhaps "open" office solutions (I say that as I wouldn't really recommend OpenOffice) and free/already provided email solutions could save a couple of grand. Even so, "all the math" includes the time and cost of the people running it all.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 16th October 2012 at 06:58 PM.

Thank Post
    I've just had a quote for Windows Server 2012 licenses under our existing EES agreement:

WinSvrStd 2012 SNGL MVL 2Proc = 171.60
    WinSvrDataCtr 2012 SNGL MVL 2Proc = 921.60

A couple of the posts in this thread have suggested prices for the Standard edition of 30 to 90, nowhere near 170...

I originally asked for a quote from another provider but they told me that I need to buy these Server licenses from the provider of our existing EES agreement. How do these prices compare to quotes that people here have received? I'd like to go back and ask why the price is so high but thought I'd check on here first.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That really doesn't look like EES pricing! Last quote I got was about 30 for standard and 170 for Datacenter. I also asked for a Academic Select Quote and got 100 Standard and 530 Data Center. They look suspiciously like standard select agreement licences that commercial customers might pay. And so does the descriptions.

I got "OVS-ES Windows Server Standard" (30) or "Windows Server Standard 2012 Single Licence 2 Processor - Academic - Volume License" (100)

4. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

andypitts (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks @tmcd35 I've queried the quote now and will wait to hear from them. Hopefully this was just a mistake with the agreement type like you said.

Thank Post
    You were right, those were prices were for a Select agreement. The EES quote came back at 30. Thanks again

Thank Post
    How are servers included under EES? Are they based on the number of FTe staff or number of servers? And do we have to include all servers or just the ones I want to upgrade?

We already have EES for clients (OS & Office). Now I want to begin upgrading servers to 2012, but don't know whwether to sary on with perputual licenseing or go to EES. I've been quoted:-

Pertpetual Select Plus - WinSvrStd 2012 SNGL MVL: 98
    Subscription OVS-ES - WinSvrStd ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1y Acdmc AP 2Proc: 27 / year

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,855 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With servers, you just specify the number of server licenses you need - like you did with the Schools Agreement. You include what you will be installing Windows Server on. If you already have licenses for servers, you don't need to get licenses for them as far as I know!

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

OverWorked (9th January 2013)

Thank Post
    That's great! So I can just cover the servers I need upgrading to 2012.

I have a few legacy servers running 2003 that aren't worth spending time and money on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123