+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, EES license in Technical; Originally Posted by tonyd EES can look like an amazing deal when viewed in the right light. If you are ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    EES can look like an amazing deal when viewed in the right light. If you are paying thousands per year for antivirus, web and mail filtering, then by switching to the MS options bundled with EES (I believe Enterprise is needed for mail filtering) then you can effectively pay for EES in the savings made by not paying for these elsewhere. In effect, you pay MS for your protection and then get free access to the latest Office and Windows! If you are in the position where these services are supplied by a local learning grid, then they may not be happy about un-bundling them, in which case you may be able to save again by switching to a non-LEA ISP.
    I still don't get why anyone pays 1000's for antivirus, when there are perfectly good free clients available! Managed anti virus is such a con.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I still don't get why anyone pays 1000's for antivirus, when there are perfectly good free clients available! Managed anti virus is such a con.
    Name a free client that is free for schools to use... AVG isn't, Avast isn't, Avira doesn't appear to be, MSE isn't...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Part of the thing with EES is lack of hassle - you just give a number, and pay the price yearly. No having to handle multiple license types.
    True, but I have Scottish blood! Rather not pay more than we have to and Server licensing, as far as I can work out, is more expensive under EES. EES on the desktop though seems a no brainer. AV and Config Center are the icing on the cake

Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Not aware of any that are free for commercial use? I'm pretty certain the EULA for all the free AV packages I've seen are for domestic home use only.

Thank Post
    For a rough guide on EES costs this is from a recent quote I had. Obviously there will be some slight variations so use as a ball-park figure.

1 microsoft DsktpEdu ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y Acdmc Ent x 100 £37.27each = £3,727.00
    2 microsoft ExchgSvrStd ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y Acdmc AP x 1 £43.22 each = £43.22
    3 microsoft SharePointSvr ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y Acdmc AP x 1 £300.83 each = £300.83
    4 microsoft SQLSvrStdCore ALNG LicSAPk OLV 2Lic E 1Y Acdmc APCoreLic x 2 £218.86 each = £437.72
    5 microsoft SysCtrDPMSvrMLEnt ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y Acdmc AP x 4 £26.34 each = £105.36
    6 microsoft SysCtrDPMSvrMLStd ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y Acdmc AP x 12 £9.59 each = £115.08
    7 Microsoft WinSvrDataCtr ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y Acdmc AP 2Proc x 4 £176.20 each = £704.80
    8 Microsoft WinSvrStd ALNG LicSAPk OLV E 1Y Acdmc AP 2Proc x 5 £29.17 each = £145.85
    TOTAL: £ 5,579.86

5. Thanks to alan-d from:

zag (11th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I am still at a loss to know what to do given that we have a new server and almost all clients are windows 7 and office 2010 already. If I was buying under an LA licence, and that has stopped, is EES my only choice?

Thank Post

EES license

How many clients do you have?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I am still at a loss to know what to do given that we have a new server and almost all clients are windows 7 and office 2010 already. If I was buying under an LA licence, and that has stopped, is EES my only choice?
    No, you can just buy under Select from any license reseller.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not come across anything it doesn't cover yet! What doesn't it cover?
    Well from the article it provides updrade win7 licenses for desktops rather than full licenses - so presumably you need to pay extra for machines that don't come with windows licenses installed by the manufacturer. For machines that do come with windows licenses from the manufacturer, you already own the license so you pay for it again through EES. To quote " EES on the desktop though seems a no brainer" - I don;t think so. It only makes sense for MSOffice, not for windows - even then it only works if you upgrade irregularly and don't plan on any form of home access.

Thank Post
    microsoft volume licensing has always provided an upgrade os for desktop and not a full version. this is nothing new to ees, you don't need to pay more for machines without a license in fact if you were to try and use kms to activate those machines it would fail as the wouldn't have the oem os flag set in the bios.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting confused, let's start again from the beginning

You already have Win7 and Office 2010 licences bought under an Academic Select agreement held by your LEA? The LEA agreement has ended and they are not renewing it? You are an LEA maintained school?

If all that is correct, forget EES. You are already licensed. So long as you remain an LEA maintained school then the licenses you have already bought will remain in effect. All that has changed is you can not buy additional licences through your LEA. Where EES will come into play is when you want to upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 9 and Office 2018 (or whatever), then EES would probably be a better deal than buying all new Academic Select licences.

Now for your new server. It's not worth signing up to EES just for 1 server license. You can't buy a new license from your LEA. So you have to buy that from someone else. The question is are you upgrading the Server OS, say Server 2003 to Server2008R2, or are you just upgrading the server hardware and leaving the existing OS version (maybe you are already on 2008R2?).

If you are upgrading the OS to a later version then you will almost certainly need to buy CAL's for all your existing machines. In this case contact Pug or Phoenix or other license reseller and sign up a new Academic Select license for the school to purchase these on, again not worth looking at EES just for this.

If you are sticking with your existing OS then ask your server supplier to include the correct server OS with the hardware and use the downgrade rights if you are staying with 2003 server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glen_j View Post
    if you were to try and use kms to activate those machines it would fail as the wouldn't have the oem os flag set in the bios.
    I don't think that's true, because royalty OEM machines (PCs which have a SLIC table in their BIOSs) are activated with an OEM-specific product key and a corresponding XRM-MS certificate. Windows 7 Enterprise on the other-hand simply uses a KMS key to activate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm getting confused, let's start again from the beginning

You already have Win7 and Office 2010 licences bought under an Academic Select agreement held by your LEA? The LEA agreement has ended and they are not renewing it? You are an LEA maintained school?

If all that is correct, forget EES. You are already licensed. So long as you remain an LEA maintained school then the licenses you have already bought will remain in effect. All that has changed is you can not buy additional licences through your LEA. .
    I realised that the licences I have will stay in effect. I didnt explain very well about the server - we have a 2008R2 server all licenced and working so I wont need to upgrade it for a bit.
    What I dont understand is the LEA licence bit. If they had an academic select licence - and I wasnt aware of this as I buy direct from Civica (not through the LEA) and Civica never mentioned it until yesterday- and this agreement has ended, do I set up my own academic select licence agreement or what? Will it cost me more money per licence?
    I did think that in my current position, EES isnt worth it in either of my schools, not until we want to upgrade the lot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I dont understand is the LEA licence bit. If they had an academic select licence - and I wasnt aware of this as I buy direct from Civica (not through the LEA) and Civica never mentioned it until yesterday- and this agreement has ended, do I set up my own academic select licence agreement or what? Will it cost me more money per licence?
    Sounds like your LEA had their Master Agreement held with Civica, like ours do with Phoenix. Since your an LEA school Civica automatically included your licences on the LEA Master Agreement. Yes you will need to sign a new licence agree with Civica (or someone else) when you are ready to buy additional licenses. Yes the licenses will cost you more since you will not have the combined buying power of the LEA.

It may be worth talking to a number of local schools who surely must be in the same position and finding out if you can obtain a new Master Agreement as a consortium. Your combined buying power should open up some cheaper prices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    microsoft volume licensing has always provided an upgrade os for desktop and not a full version. this is nothing new to ees,.
    yes, it is often better to buy them under select - which is my point.

you don't need to pay more for machines without a license in fact if you were to try and use kms to activate those machines it would fail as the wouldn't have the oem os flag set in the bios.
    You can activate OEM machines using VAMT. We build a base image from an OEM machine and then image that onto others of the same make and they activate fine using the OEM key.

EES isn't a silver bullet and you can often end up paying more than you would with perpetual licensing. It definately hasn't been worth it at our school and we have saved thousands by using perpetual licenses.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With regards to LAs and Select Agreements it is also worth looking at this thread Microsoft Select agreement not signed by the Department of Education for more information. A number of LAs have allowed Select agreements to come to their natural end as more schools operate outside of LA control / responsibility. There will be alternative options available for schools wishing to stay with Select. I would advise talking with the existing Select provider for your school if anyone has more questions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast