+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Print management, any suggestions? in Technical; Hello everyone, Just looking for some suggestions on print management and print cost cutting, as our toner costs are going ...

Thank Post

Print management, any suggestions?

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some suggestions on print management and print cost cutting, as our toner costs are going through the roof. Looking around it seems that the best print management software is “PCounter”, I installed a trial briefly and it does looks very promising.

I also been contacted by company called “Arena group” offering to supply printers and toner (some sort of leasing), but it’s a bit confusing the way they calculate the price. Does anybody use leased printers, is it a good idea and what should I expected to pay (per “x” amount of prints I guess).

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    PaperCut is really very good. There's a free 'monitor' version as well.
    PaperCut - Print management software used by 50k organizations to control and quota printing

Thank Post
    Another vote for Papercut here.

Thank Post
    Another vote for Papercut here.

Where do you think the main costs are ? Lasers, Inkjets. Certain printers, or certain users ?

Do you keep a log of all the cartridges you order ?

Thank Post
    I do have a copy of PaperCut but it's about 10 years old and not supported any more, I can't even upgrade it. I've also spoken to couple of people that supply paper copiers and they recomend PCounter over PaperCut, but looking closer they are very similar. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Most are laser monochrome. And used heavily across the board (teachers, pupils and admin). And we have too many different makes and models, some are getting old and toner cost is going up.

Thank Post
    we are still evaluating papercut here, but it is looking pretty good that we will go for it come new financial year and some more budget! We are using a lot of samsung printers here as they seem to offer the best value for oney in the b&w printing market at the moment.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use PaperCut.

I have just added a secondary print server to the PaperCut monitoring setup. Very easy. Now the printers on the secondary server have been added to the primary print server [I had nothing to do except install the software: Printers 'added themselves']

While working on this I found out today that I can install the secondary server client at stations where local printers are installed and have PaperCut monitor/manage them also.

9. Thanks to DaveP from:

Out_of_Sync (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    I've been looking at this for the last year and still not settled on a solution. I've got all HP printers so looked at the HP SPS solution but then decided to concentrate on MFD devices and a cheaper photocopier contract.

A local copier company came up with a copier and software solution but it wont really save much initialy. Today I rang Papercut and discovered they do Papercut MF which will link with my existing Ricoh copiers. Assuming the cost is achievable then I may be onto a winner. Central copiers that we can all print to, record all budget info and save money for each click done.

Time to install papercut and see whats possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBrow View Post
    I've been looking at this for the last year and still not settled on a solution. I've got all HP printers so looked at the HP SPS solution but then decided to concentrate on MFD devices and a cheaper photocopier contract.

A local copier company came up with a copier and software solution but it wont really save much initialy. Today I rang Papercut and discovered they do Papercut MF which will link with my existing Ricoh copiers. Assuming the cost is achievable then I may be onto a winner. Central copiers that we can all print to, record all budget info and save money for each click done.

Time to install papercut and see whats possible.
    This what I am doing as I already have papercut ng. I'm waiting till April though as our current contract is ricoh and if We tie ourselves into buying r
    Ricoh licenses We are stuck with ricoh machines are you pay per device for mf. Rough cost was upgrade plus 10 devices about 3k I think

Thank Post
    I'd stay away from PCounter and go with Papercut, used both and Papercut is a ton better.

Thank Post
    I have PCounter and cannot fault it, the company we used to get it all from have just started dealing with PaperCut for the education sector, heard good reviews about both, as I have PCounter I am going to say PCounter is what I am recommending!

Thank Post
    Hmm… Very interesting, I was under impression that PaperCut not as good as Pcounter but now will try both more thoroughly. Thank you all for guidance on software.

But does anybody leasing printers? I was expecting few schools are going that way. Last year we spent in a region of £10K on toners (was talking to local private school they spent over £30K!!!).
    The problem for me is that I cannot stock two toners of every colour for all printers, as people coming for toners after they run out, subsequently some printers out of order for several days. It’s not very good, it’s always a bit of a panic to find supplier with good prices and wide range of toner and then going to finance with another £2K order… (you should see the face of my finance manager)! So the idea of having the same printer across the school with well stocked cupboard of toner and knowledge of what I’m going to spend at the end of the year is VERY appealing.

So, how do you all dealing with it?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I lease my copiers from United Carlton, toner is here next day if we need any, my rule is that is there is no ink they cannot print and it saves me money, printing is not a high priority issue in my place, use the cost saving thing all the time to remind users about it.

Thank Post
    We lease copiers as well, I’ve spoken to them and they are happy to provide us with printers. But I guess I will need to install PaperCut/PCounter to establish more precise amount we print annually and then see whether they can beat the price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast