+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Print management, any suggestions? in Technical; Another vote for PaperCut. Great company with an amazing product. We use it extensively here - have it installed on ...

Thank Post
    Another vote for PaperCut. Great company with an amazing product. We use it extensively here - have it installed on all the copiers and tied into fingerprint readers/biostore for print release.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Another vote for PaperCut. Great company with an amazing product. We use it extensively here - have it installed on all the copiers and tied into fingerprint readers/biostore for print release.
    I'm guessing this then ties into your cashless catering and AD? I think its something we are going to look at when i move rather then cards.

T

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I'm guessing this then ties into your cashless catering and AD? I think its something we are going to look at when i move rather then cards.

T
    Yep - finger prints are taken via our cashless catering system and also used for our library system. First time you log into a copier you have to do it manually so it can tie your cashless catering credentials to your fingerprint, but after that its nice and quick

Thank Post
    Yep - finger prints are taken via our cashless catering system and also used for our library system. First time you log into a copier you have to do it manually so it can tie your cashless catering credentials to your fingerprint, but after that its nice and quick
    That's good - i know when i spoke before with the companies they said it was in the next release. is it the same that you print to a central queue? then it pulls to the printer/copier in question?

Might need a visit at some point to see it if you wouldn't mind?

T

Thank Post
    Anyone noticed many problems with people not wanting their "fingerprint" stored on the system? I say this as I used to use biometrics for the library software but the new year 7's used to arrive with notes from angry parents not wanting their details being recorded. Despite the actual print not being recorded but instead being translated to a ID number immediately didn't seem to matter. It's great in concept, just those pesky few pupils and staff who refuse.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBrow View Post
    Anyone noticed many problems with people not wanting their "fingerprint" stored on the system? I say this as I used to use biometrics for the library software but the new year 7's used to arrive with notes from angry parents not wanting their details being recorded. Despite the actual print not being recorded but instead being translated to a ID number immediately didn't seem to matter. It's great in concept, just those pesky few pupils and staff who refuse.
    1 Student who has a card out of 1500 not to bad!

Thank Post
    I think we’ve gone a bit off topic but anyhow, before we introduced finger scanners we held a couple of meetings with parents and prospective parents explaining the technology behind it (that no your child’s fingerprint is not going onto police register!!!) and we had 1 in year 11 who refused, that’s all.

I know I am a bit banging about it but any ideas on printers?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    We've been running Papercut here since September, and I'm very happy with it. Got the papercut modules working in our new Ricoh copiers now with AD authentication for copying. Pull printing will be rolled out in the new year when we get our new machines in Reprographics and that should save have a big effect, even if I expect a backlash early doors when people realise they have to release jobs.

Thank Post
    We use a mix of HP and Xerox printers here (xerox being the newer and cheaper ones) along with 10/11 Ricoh MFD's. HP printers are the more expensive ones. I'm hoping to move to a model where we simply have more MFD's around the building with fingerprint scanners and remove desktop printers. In some area's this isn't going to be possible so they will have to have desktop machines but hopefully we should be able to just have MFD's.

Thank Post
    Okay so not so bad on biometrics then.

Printers: Err, I have full HP and there is a HP contract available called SPS. You buy the equipment and as long as it qualifies (i.e. not ancient and in the very lowest range of spec) they will cover the device for hardware and repair within 24hrs plus all 'clicks' are covered in the system too. Much like a gas bill, you pay for what you use based on a basic survey and then over the following 3 years it will balance out to be actual pay-for-what-you-use.

Other than that, there is a solution that a local school to myself is going to be launching in January, called 'Altodigital'. They will be leasing full printers (can't remember manufacturer) and solution from them including ink. Other schools lease the copiers and fit 3rd party software on top, like Papercut or Pcounter.

Some make more sense than others but I suppose it depends on what you have currently in school and what you can recycle within the campus to save some cash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by happierlarry View Post
    I do have a copy of PaperCut but it's about 10 years old and not supported any more, I can't even upgrade it. I've also spoken to couple of people that supply paper copiers and they recomend PCounter over PaperCut, but looking closer they are very similar. Thanks.
    If it's 10 years old then you are missing out on a lot of features check out:
    PaperCut KB | PaperCut's Upgrade Policy

Thank Post
    It should be pointed out PaperCut do not supply the Biometric hardware or do too much with it (no standards yet)
    But there are a few sites in the UK running Biometrics with Biostore with PaperCut used at the back end for accounting. By all reports works well. This support will only get better over time (and hopefully bring the cost down)
    The hardest challenge is getting the reader working on all the MFD's as they all work in different ways.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    That's good - i know when i spoke before with the companies they said it was in the next release. is it the same that you print to a central queue? then it pulls to the printer/copier in question?

Might need a visit at some point to see it if you wouldn't mind?

T
    Ello - it wouldnt matter how you authenticate at the machine but yes printing to a main queue (virtual queue) and then using find-me printing isnt an issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use PaperCut and Toshiba machines from Arena, I find both very good.

Thank Post
    We also use papercut, also just added secondary print server. It works very well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast