+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Who Manages your ICT? in Technical; I work in a large (1700 student) secondary school, and as the Network manager I'm currently managed by a Head ...
    Thank Post

Who Manages your ICT?

I work in a large (1700 student) secondary school, and as the Network manager I'm currently managed by a Head of E-School, which I beleive is seen as job to be fulfilled by a teacher.

May I ask network managers out there how secondary schools manage their ICT, and how well does it work? Is the head of e-school a very standard role that exists within all secondary schools, or they managed by the bursar like other support services (such as site team)?

Kind regards,
    John.

Thank Post
    I have never heard of E-School, don't know if that helps much. Though E-Learning managers exist, so maybe its the same thing, the school I worked out with an E-Learning Manager, he was above the Network Manager. i thought this was odd personally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The best structure is that the Network manager is not manage by the curriculum head of ICT. Ideally they should be manage but the head or the deputies.

Thank Post
    I am managed by the assistant head, it make decisions quicker as they come form the top to start with rather than having to go up the tree and wait forever.

It would be very difficult for any curriculum based person to manage a Network manager, unless they are a very good manager and trust the netwrok team to do their job for the simple fact that every ICT teacher I have come across and not very technicial, and only understand what they teach, and like to play with new toys and techniology to make it look like they are keeping up with the latest trends.

just my opinion though...

Thank Post
    in my experience its unusual for the technical to be managed by the pedagogical. Technical usually has a LM in or around SMT

Thank Post
    I'm currently (1 week left to go!) managed by the business manager (I'm the network manager). In my new role (Director of IT) I'm managed by the finance director. I've always tried to make the distinction between ICT as a subject and IT as a service. The two interact, but are very different beasts and IT as a service is there for every subject and part of the school not just ICT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Head of E-School, Director of eLearning, Director of Innovations, and similar titles all tend to be at Asst Head or Dep Head level and whilst some might also manage the ICT curriculum Dept that is not always guaranteed.

They usually also have the whole school remit for ensuring technology is used in the curriculum within all subjects and the focus is very much on T&L. They do tend to also line manage the IT staff, or have a very close role with stating what they need to do and when.

The best structure is whatever plays to the strength of the school, but schools do have to be careful they don't create a structure based purely on the individual strengths of the current staff as when staff change it can cause serious issues.

Thank Post
    That is interesting soulfish, the setup sounds ideal. Will you become a member of SMT?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    As NM, my line manager is the Bursar, who sits on SMT at equal level to the HM (i.e. reports directly to the governors). I believe this is a common arrangement in independent schools, where the role of the Bursar is typically more powerful and wide-ranging than in state schools.

Thank Post
    We have a very simple structure here; Technician managed by Network Manager, Network Manager managed by IT Manager, IT Manager managed by Headteacher. Nice and clear, with hotline to the top.
    But we are strictly a service and support unit - our relationship with the IT dept is the same as with all the other departments, and whilst we provide advice and support for development, we have no direct curriculum input.
    I think that this is reasonably common now in schools, and a better system than having someone who is really about curriculum development trying to manage the technical side as well, but I know that the chains of command in some schools can get very complex, usually to the detriment of providing a good service.

Thank Post
    I'm NM and my LM is the school's Business & Finance Manager. He is the most senior member of support staff and sits on SLT.

Thank Post
    I'm the NM here and i'm line managed by a part time assistant school business manager, 2 1/2 days a week, term time only.

The path I have to follow for decisions is a bit long winded, it goes me -> ASBM -> SBM -> Head. as long as the ASBM is working, otherwise it's me -> SBM -> Head.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was line managed by the bursar, who was head of support staff, and reported to the headteacher. When he left a year ago they gathered up all his responsibilities and threw them up in the air and saw where they landed, mostly at the feet of the finance manager and site manager. I'm more or less equivalent to them although in practice, they're really my seniors as they have more responsibilities and regular meetings with the head, but they're kind and don't wave it in my face!

Technically there is a member of SMT who line manages me now, but that was only pinned down for the sake of knowing who had to do my performance management meeting. Practically speaking, I am more or less trusted to get on with the job, with the head checking to see how things are going every now and then, and the site & finance manager having a better idea of my ongoing issues from our regular heads of support staff meetings.

I realise, however, that I am exceptionally lucky to work with such little interference, and wouldn't imagine many get away with it like I do. It don't half work well for all concerned here though (ymmv).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In our dept, we have an ICT Director. He deals with the board, finalising budgets and getitng them approved, sitting in on meetings, etc and oversees the rest of our department.

I am the sys admin, I look after all the servers, infrastructure, etc. I have a guy who maintains all the images, does all the imaging etc, another guy that does all the printers, toners, day to day 'fire fighting' out in classrooms/offices, and someone who runs helpdesk/drop ins. The latter 2 are pretty interchangeable tbh..

Thank Post
    My Job Description says that i am Managed by the Head of ICT teaching, however in real terms this doesnt happen. realistically i am managed by the Performance Manager, who is intern managed by the Assistant Head. It works quite well as it means i have a buffer between both the SLT and the teachers, as he tends to deal with both on my behalf. Essentially i can tell him exactly what a useless bunch of muppets i am having to deal with are, and he sugar coats it so i don't get fired. Lol. Kinda therapeutic really.

16. Thanks to Bezwick from:

SimpleSi (11th March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast