+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Learning Network Manager Thread, Network Printing in Technical; We had an issue once with Kyocera's where it was down to locally installed fonts! We installed a new font ...
    Thank Post
    We had an issue once with Kyocera's where it was down to locally installed fonts! We installed a new font pack and everything worked fine. Just my two-penneth!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Yes that works for static PC's, so does the utility I posted. The problem is laptops when they move around to different rooms, so I still need to patent my device
    think the best way to do that would be a script at logon . When they logon it asks them to click what room they are in and add the printers that way ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    think the best way to do that would be a script at logon . When they logon it asks them to click what room they are in and add the printers that way ?
    Teacher in classroom, unplugs laptop from network without logging off, goes to staff room, plugs in there and so still has the printers for their classroom. See, really do need a location aware device inserting in the teacher ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    We had an issue once with Kyocera's where it was down to locally installed fonts! We installed a new font pack and everything worked fine. Just my two-penneth!
    EXPLAIN!!! I am at my wits end now (wishes she'd just let some random bod come in and install them for her!). I've just had a timetable dumped on my desk and it seems to have missed bits of text out!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Teacher in classroom, unplugs laptop from network without logging off, goes to staff room, plugs in there and so still has the printers for their classroom. See, really do need a location aware device inserting in the teacher ;-)
    do they hold the laptop with the lid open all the way to the staffroom ? i would set the lid to shutdown when closed.. otherwise some staff training showing them howto do it properly with a video on the VLE so they cant bother you any more

laptops are a big pain in the arse tbh ..i say get rid of all of them ! would make my life a tad easier.

Teejay idealy you need some gs locators in the laptops .. actually scratch that and just make the teachers use notepad and paper and stop making it to easy for them 2 print .. its part of the enjoyment them sending 100's of pages to printers across the school

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    EXPLAIN!!! I am at my wits end now (wishes she'd just let some random bod come in and install them for her!). I've just had a timetable dumped on my desk and it seems to have missed bits of text out!!!
    I presume it was printed in SIMS Nova-T as this is always a pita with certain printers. Try printing the timetable from within SIMS.net by going to Reports, Timetables (NOT Reports, Print Timetables) as this uses a different print method.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    do they hold the laptop with the lid open all the way to the staffroom ? i would set the lid to shutdown when closed.. otherwise some staff training showing them howto do it properly with a video on the VLE so they cant bother you any more

laptops are a big pain in the arse tbh ..i say get rid of all of them ! would make my life a tad easier.

Teejay idealy you need some gs locators in the laptops .. actually scratch that and just make the teachers use notepad and paper and stop making it to easy for them 2 print .. its part of the enjoyment them sending 100's of pages to printers across the school
    They go between classrooms with the lid open, so they don't have to boot up or log in again as for some reason the minute or so it takes to do this is too long and means they can't do their electronic registration as they have a 'computer fault'

Thank Post
    Maybe teejay has better google fu then me but I could of sworn there was another thread on edugeek someone stated they used a security group for each printer and you can either add users or computer names to said security group instead of using vbscripts to map printers

possibly this one and someone has posted there vbs

Adding Printers Via AD
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 20th January 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Maybe teejay has better google fu then me but I could of sworn there was another thread on edugeek someone stated they used a security group for each printer and you can either add users or computer names to said security group instead of using vbscripts to map printers
    In Server 2008 R2 you can (not sure on 2008, never played with it), Little Miss is running 2003. There might be some update somewhere for 2003 to do this, but I don't use it anymore so I've no idea.

Edit: Sorry, think I misinterpreted your post. Yes you can use the utility I posted to map all printers and then use secuirty group on the printer objects on the print server to limit them to certain users/computers.

Edit 2: Was discussed here Install Colour printer only for staff - but flexibly...
    Last edited by teejay; 20th January 2011 at 04:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123