+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, School Visits Required! in Technical; Hi all, I am an IT Manager at an Independent School in Kingston. (370 pupils aged 4-13) I have been ...

Thank Post

School Visits Required!

Hi all,

I am an IT Manager at an Independent School in Kingston. (370 pupils aged 4-13)

I have been to look at a couple of other similars schools to see how they run their IT department, what MIS they use, what other systems they use etc.

I would like to be able to arrange more of these visits and wondered if anyone was happy to show me round their IT dept and have a chat and exchange some ideas.

My school is quite 'behind the times' with IT and I have major plans for the future. If anyone is happy to 'invite me round', I would really appreciate it.

Ideally I am looking for Independent Schools, using Sims or ISAMS, that are located in Surrey. Visits would be afternoons.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I'd be up for a visit if your willing to travel to Bromley. I'm a network manager at an independent school roughly the same size with pupils between 2.5 and 13. We're running Sims.net, The network has gone from having 1 server running everything to 7 physical servers and a few virtuals along with a laser link between sites.

We break up on the 10th - your welcome to visit anytime during the xmas break or January, I'm about to get sucked into our xmas production rehersals so probably won't have time to breathe between now and the end of term
    Last edited by Jamman960; 29th November 2010 at 02:56 PM.

3. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

LeonieCol (29th November 2010)

Thank Post
    You are right - no point trying to reinvent the wheel when others have made plenty of mistakes you can learn from: If you fancy a trip to Oxford you would be most welcome - We have spent the past couple of years bringing our systems up to date - W7 desktops, Server2008 - VmWare - some thin clients.. remote app and OS deployment etc.. PM me if you fancy a day out..

Thank Post
    Hi,
    We're based near Dorking in Surrey and would be happy to host a visit if you would be happy to reciprocate in the future? We use iSAMS, CC4, have about 425 pupils.

Thank Post
    OK I'm not in Surrey or an independent, but only a short train ride to Basingstoke and we do run SIMs on site at the moment.

We have 1500 students and 120 staff, we have just under 700 desktops (Admin and Curriculum). We run and host our own web and Moodle VLE site, We are just about to run a pilot on our video streaming service, and if all goes to plan we will be piloting our TV recording service a few weeks after. We run a web based helpdesk, an SSL VPN to give users secure drive access from outside of school, USB encryption and laptop encryption as part of our data protection installations (which includes document content scanning, looking for removal of confidential information from the network).

I know there are other services we run, but I can't think of them off of the top of my head.

Let me know if you are interested in a visit, the school is open late most evenings and I can make myself available, I will just need to give our site staff notice. Could possibly arrange a Saturday morning as well, but not until after the Christmas break.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I'm a tech at a secondary in the middle Sussex ( down the a24) if you want to come down although a larger school about 800 clients 1500 kids

Thank Post
    Hi.
    Drop me an email: DP[at]boxhillschool.org.uk

Thank Post
    Mate, you more than welcome to come and visit us, we are a based in hammersmith and fulham using both mac and pc wired/less using sims.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread