+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Domain Admin Access to Teaching Staff in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Then ask the Head and Bursar / business Manager which folders and documents are needed to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Then ask the Head and Bursar / business Manager which folders and documents are needed to be kept sensitive (ie staff pay, disciplinary procedures, etc) as you take it that they would want you to lock out access to those folders / files. Then point out that this account would have access to all staff files and folders, even personal ones, so do you need to let all staff know so that *they* can tell you which files and folders need to have their security permissions changed.
    I'm with TheLibrarian... this has to be the best idea I've seen.

Total respect Grumbledook!

Thank Post
    Our LEA has a policy on teachers having access. and it says they must never have admin's level access..
    and the Admin passwords need to be lock in the school safe. Just in case you run over by a bus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest ... I would ask the Head / Bursar about what are the essentially private files are anyway ... *you* are in a position of trust (the same way the site supervisor with the master keys and alarm codes is) but are *all* your staff in that position? There will be some documents which have to be treated with very sensitively and if you get the senior staff thinking about this then it can also make life easier for you when introducing other data protection stuff ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    Our LEA has a policy on teachers having access. and it says they must never have admin's level access..
    and the Admin passwords need to be lock in the school safe. Just in case you run over by a bus.
    I'm in a private school and that's how it is here.

I have an admin account, but my day-to-day account has the same level of privacy as the teachers (with a few 'tweaks' so I can remote into the servers )

It's safer that way. A bad day is less likely to turn into a dreadful one caused by a slip of the fingers.

Thank Post
    Well, someone with Domain Admin rights needs to be trained to MCITP Server Administrator level as a minimum, so order the self study guides and point them to the nearest exam centre for them to sit the 3 required exams. When they've passed, sure, give em access.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Then ask the Head and Bursar / business Manager which folders and documents are needed to be kept sensitive (ie staff pay, disciplinary procedures, etc) as you take it that they would want you to lock out access to those folders / files. Then point out that this account would have access to all staff files and folders, even personal ones, so do you need to let all staff know so that *they* can tell you which files and folders need to have their security permissions changed.
    This should have an addendum that states that this is just a slowing down mechanisum and that as a domain admin even if they are expresssly locked out by permissions they can simply take ownership of the files then read them anyway. Even if they are encrypted using windows a domain admin can reset the network administrator account and use this to get the master encryption certificate allowing decryption.

Sure the user may not know how to do it but if they want to know getting instructions off the internet is not exactly difficult.

Thank Post
    Why? If another person is deemed good enough to have domain admin access then this should not be a problem. All staff should already know that *someone* has access to these files, but that they are professional enough not to "snoop" into areas that do not concern them. I would imagine a more worrying aspect would be the teacher not having the knowledge to use the account properly and causing problems by breaking things.

How does stating the fact that they could restart the server during the school day differ from the existing NM? Surely the point to get accross is that the teacher is not qualified (no experience or training?) to be given such access rather than stating what someone already has the ability to do? Thats the reason for having experienced IT support so they can perform their job properly, and not have their duties handed out to other members of staff?

Edit: GD - You already answered my question while I was still typing
    Last edited by penfold; 27th September 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Edit: GD - You already answered my question while I was still typing
    I sometimes answer my pre-loaded questions myself ... it comes from constantly having conversations with myself and forgetting who should be answering who.

Thank Post
    Can you not put the person in a group which has some but not all admin rights? You can certainly give them permissions to access student folders, change passwords, etc via say a sub-admin role. We do the same for some of our IT teachers.

Thank Post
    We also give access to some teachers who require it to go into student areas, and also some IT teachers have the abilty to change password. You can delegate all these permissions with AD and NTFS permissions. I reckon the teacher does not know what the domain account really involves so calm them down and give them the level they want. No one should be logging into a computer with domain admin, I know I do which is bad practice but thats not the point.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 27th September 2010 at 06:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    We also give access to some teachers who require it to go into student areas, and also some IT teachers have the abilty to change password. You can delegate all these permissions with AD and NTFS permissions. I reckon the teacher does not know what the domain account really involves so calm them down and give them the level they want. No one should be logging into a computer with domain admin, I know I do which is bad practice but thats not the point.
    Yes, so do I and I know I shouldnt. I agree though give them what they want, locked down as far as you are able.

I sometimes answer my pre-loaded questions myself ... it comes from constantly having conversations with myself and forgetting who should be answering who.
    Now that IS disppointing, Grumbledook - 'who should be answering whom' is correct

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Now that IS disppointing, Grumbledook - 'who should be answering whom' is correct
    Taken to Who/Whom to stop the thread being too OT.

Thank Post
    My line in the sand is read-only access to student my docs, no access to other adult my docs, no one ever gets their normal user account made an admin. I've been expecting but have yet to encounter a compelling request for write access re. SEN kids etc. Password changing doesn't bother me provided it is limited to a select few because it leaves tracks you can refer back to if necessary... not bothered includes the prospect of say one SLT being in a position to change a teacher's password.

Standard defences: "This runs against the grain of [magic word with emphasis] E-safety blah-blah.." and one of those true stories of the very serious inconvenience when a promoted-to-admin teacher account got hit by some brand new and thus undetected malware, which swiftly got the entire domain.

The trust issue is fun, in the sense that some folk just don't appear to have ever considered how much access you have until you talk about it re. the seriousness of giving it to someone else. I always used to think trust/ethics was part of what you got paid for in the private sector, so next time you're sulking over the pay-slip perhaps that ignorance is part of the problem...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget DPA issues..... There was a thread the other day on the same issue where some costs were pointed out.

A vaguely remember a thread /awhile/ ago about staff have write rights to student data and that was apparently a no no against some policies and exam boards.

If the person just needs to change passwords, i recommend a tool like: http://www.wisesoft.co.uk/software/p...l/default.aspx

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    There's the answer. Things with the admin password need to go in the safe. Give the teacher the password then put them in the safe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast