+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, Redirected Desktops in Technical; Ok, I currently have a desktop for Staff, KS1 and KS2. I have finally got the library how i want ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Redirected Desktops

Ok, I currently have a desktop for Staff, KS1 and KS2.

I have finally got the library how i want it and have installed Junior Librarian on 3 PC's and a 4th i've called Library Master which will be used mainly for the librarian/Literacy Coordinator.

Now how do i only display the icon for Junior Librarian on those 4 computers without it showing across the school. Currently i cheat and if there is a year group specific program i just put it in a folder for that year band.

But is there a way of doing it according to machine and not user? Am i missing something obvious here?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    bump.........

Thank Post
    hmmm.....

Not entirely sure but it sounds like a Group Policy Folder Redirection thing you are looking for, unfortunately that means creating a policy that hits just those machines more precisely the OU that they sit in, it also means you need to create a new folder redirection folder that contains the program icons for that room.

My suggestion would be to put the icon on the desktop/ startmenu for all if the program is not installed then it the icon will not resolve regardless.

Not sure this is the answer you were looking for but hope it helps either way

Mark

4. Thanks to sister_annex from:

Little-Miss (5th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could try doing something like Building Dynamic Start Menus With Access-Based Enumeration but tailoring it for the desktop.

** Never tried this: Or you could do the redirection via the user level gp if you have them sorted nicely in OUs and apply based on that.
    Do you have separate user accounts for the library stuff or do you want anyone on that terminal to get it no matter what the group they are in?

6. Thanks to p858snake from:

Thank Post
    so if im reading this right you want a shortcut to junior librarian to appear on a particular pc for any user but not appear on any other pc?

quickest way i can think of would be a script run on that pc (via all users startup that) copies the shortcut to %homedrive%\desktop (or wherever desktops are redirected) and then a logoff script that deletes the shortcut

8. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Could you do this using loopback? I've never tried it myself as I heard it could create other problems. But you could try dropping the 4 computers into their own OU and set loopback to redirect those desktops to a seperate folder?

10. Thanks to penfold from:

Thank Post
    how about doing it with permissions
    set up a security group called library or something add the staff you want to see the icon
    put the icon in the dekstop
    change the premissions on the icon so that only that security group can read the file

i have used this way before

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    how about doing it with permissions
    set up a security group called library or something add the staff you want to see the icon
    put the icon in the dekstop
    change the premissions on the icon so that only that security group can read the file
    i have used this way before
    this would restrict the shortcut via user not via computer the user is logged into. although it might work for your purposes.

loopback processing would be the way to do this, but you may have to maintain an additional redirected desktop/startmenu identical to the normal one just for the purposes each room. eg. KS1 - Room1, KS1 - Room2, KS2 - Room1, KS2 - Room2 and it could easily become complicated an unmanageable.

I don't use folder redirection, because of the additional network traffic / load on the file server. (although i'm not saying you shouldn't use it, especially if you have less machines than our school, faster switches etc.)

i don't know if this possible with folder redirection, but we still allow everyone access to the all users start menu and remove everything except the few programs that are specific to the room, and the bulk of the programs they use are placed in the personal start menu at login time (which they can access from any machine).

we moved away from having different programs installed on different computers based on the room for this reason. and users see applications that they have access to regardless of where they are logged in.

Thank Post
    If its only 4 computers just put the icon in the all users / desktop folder

job done.

Thank Post
    resurrect a 6 month old thread why don't you

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread