+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, MSI Deployment Issues... in Technical; Ok following on from my earlier thread i'm having difficulties deploying any MSI's really! lol There is something i am ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MSI Deployment Issues...

Ok following on from my earlier thread i'm having difficulties deploying any MSI's really! lol There is something i am not doing right.

So today im trying to deploy The Office 2007 Compatibility pack. I've extracted the MSI and packaged it up. But when it reaches the client i get the message
    The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.
    (instead of the Fast logon one now).

Can someone just spend the time walking me through a typical deployment in numptey speak. I'm guessing i have a permission wrong somewhere.

Thank Post
    Make sure your specify the UNC (\\SERVER\deployshare\mysoftware.msi) path to the MSI when you add it to the group policy, not a mapped network drive. Also make sure SYSTEM and Authenticated users have permission to access the share.

3. Thanks to teejay from:

Little-Miss (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This could be an issue with the share where the MSI package is stored, you want the MSI in a share that has read access to the "domain computers" group and if you have multiple domain controllers the everyone group too as the machine authenticates using its own credentials (this is for just after you join a machine and its membership had not yet replicated in AD).

What I did with the Office 2k7 compat pack was extract it using the /extract command on the exe then put this into my deployment share which is on DFS (does not have to be) \\domain\dfs\deployment$ can be on server as \\server\deployment$ etc.

This has both share and NTFS rights to allow read access to both of the groups mentioned above.

Then I go into GPMC and edit my software deployment GPO by adding the MSI file from the unc path above with all the default settings.

To do a quick test I issues the "gpupdate /force" command on an affected workstation and it should say that some policies (ie. software install) require a reboot to apply. Type 'y' to accept and the machine should reboot and attempt to install the software. Once rebooted check the event log again and make sure that it has installed sucessfully.

If not I would check for the issue I mentioned in your previous post and also double check the access rights to the share you have it on.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 26th July 2010 at 03:47 PM.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Little-Miss (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cool, will try that guys. It's defo UNC, it's the one thing i am sure of lol!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread