+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, Fast Logon Optimization in Technical; Playing with package deployment....oh how it hates me so... I'm now getting the error The group policy framework should call ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Fast Logon Optimization

Playing with package deployment....oh how it hates me so...

I'm now getting the error
    The group policy framework should call the extension in the synchronous foreground policy refresh.
    When you google it, its because i apparently have Fast logon optimisation on....is that good or bad? lol

Fast Logon Optimization: Group Policy

What do i do? Turn it off, or is it a symptom of another problem?

Edit

I've noticed ive created a GPO called Wait for Network which if i remember correctly was because of some wireless computers being a pain. If it is just that i could just get rid of it!
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 26th July 2010 at 02:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes, you need to disable it to get software deploy to work. Another useful one to turn on is Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Verbose vs Normal Status Message so that it displays what is going on rather than just a waiting message, which stops people complaining about their computer not booting and also so you can see what is going on.

3. Thanks to teejay from:

Little-Miss (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its fine to have it on, it just means that it can take up to three power cycles before the software is deployed as the installation must be triggered during the machine startup rather than during logon. The event log is simply stating that it knows the policy is there but can't action it as it is not in the startup phase.

Having optimization off will result in the machines doing a full check each time they logon meaning they can take a couple of minutes longer to start up when switched on as they check everything with the network server. This is how Windows 2000 worked and most preffered the speed of startup over the guarenteed deployment the fist time the pc was powered on after the policies were changed.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Yeah, it's meant to work with it enabled, but it caused us real problems with deployment on Windows XP. Windows 7 we're finding works fine.

7. Thanks to teejay from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yea, XP had the potential to be aweful with software deployment, especially with substandard SiS 900 network controllers and bad drivers. We only really had issues with it when it was on a PC with a dodgy NIC that did not fully get an IP before processing the policies at startup. This little issue was reported as only applying to gigabit NICs but the solution was to disable media sense:
    How to disable the Media Sensing feature for TCP/IP in Windows
    To prevent the network adapter from detecting a link state, follow these steps.

Note The NetBEUI protocol and the IPX protocol do not support Media Sensing.
    1. Start Registry Editor.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters
    3. Add the following registry entry to the Parameters subkey: Name: DisableDHCPMediaSense
      Data type: REG_DWORD (Boolean)
      Value: 1
      Note This entry controls the behavior of Media Sensing. By default, Media Sensing events trigger a DHCP client to take an action. For example, when a connect event occurs, the client tries to obtain a lease. When a disconnect event occurs, the client may invalidate the interface and routes. If you set this value data to 1, DHCP clients and non-DHCP clients ignore Media Sensing events.
    4. Restart the computer.
    Which solved all of our issues with deployment on our XP systems (even with dodgey NICs). It still sometimes took a couple of restarts to grab the software (unless it was on long enough to do a background policy refresh) but then worked alright. Just to be clear this solves the issue where it knows there is software to install and attempts to on startup but reports that it can't contact the server.

I agree totally that both Vista and 7 are far better at this and install the software much quicker also probably from a better implementation of Windows installer. It is also a good idea as you said to enable verbose output so the PC tells the user what it is doing. It still doesn't seem to stop some staff fro ignoring it and powering it off though (grrr, events of today).

9. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

Little-Miss (26th July 2010), teejay (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, ok I think i need to find whats causing my issues...

i started a new thread... MSI Deployment Issues...

Thank Post
    @Synack - yeah, we did that and it does help to an extent, but we still left fast login disabled as we found we could rely on it to deploy then, but with it switched off we'd end up with the odd machine still needing multiple reboots.
    Ah well, we're just saying goodbye to XP over this week as we re-image all machines to Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @teejay - yea background policy updates in XP were much less refined and sometimes did not seem to trigger at all adding the requirement for another reboot. All in all we found it worked alright for our system as if it was urgent it could be done overnight with a batch WOL wakeup, shutdown and wakeup at about 6am which forced the refresh and it was all done when people came in. For most of the stuff though a lead time of a couple of days/reboots was sufficient so we never needed to enforce the stricter method.

Good luck with your reimage, we always seem to get one that drops an HD due to the load of a rebuild but 7 is much better at lots of this kind of stuff and a worthwhile step foward. The event of today (well yesterday now) that I was talking about involved a teacher killing a PC in the middle of installing it new AV package which would have leveled XP (have had to fix it before) but 7 just recovered and restarted the install much to the teachers irritation .

Thank Post
    LOL, yes, been there with XP killing itself when that happens, nice to know W7 doesn't :-)
    We have no teachers in now, it's the holidays and they've all been told to stay away while we do this. I'm amazed at the support from SLT on this upgrade, we wanted to recall all the laptops and was devising a plan to handle the laptops which couldn't come back and SLT just said, nope, they're all coming in and we'll deal with any complaints as you've got enough to deal with already :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure that if you got it at just the right time you could still kill it but I have not managed it yet even with pivotal stuff like updates and AV.

It is good when you get the support but can also be a little taxing depending on expectations. I got the SMT directive issued to get all the laptops in but did the reimage and encryption of all of them in one night. This lead to a very long night for me but almost zero disruption, bitlocker is really good for this as you can even force it in GP but I chose to do it manually to get two copies of the decryption key just as it was the first implementation of it on a larger scale.

Thank Post
    Crickey, you did really well getting them done in a night! We're a PFI school, so get kicked out at 4:30 at the very latest during the holidays, so no working late for us! We've got just over a hundred to do, starting those in a couple of days by the looks of how things are going. Got to get our exchange server upgraded first and some stuff tweaked with the GPO's for the laptops and I think with that many I really want to get bitlocker automated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread