+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, computers to IT staff ratio in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay Does your team don't get involved with the day to day stuff like changing toners, unjamming ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Does your team don't get involved with the day to day stuff like changing toners, unjamming printers etc, teachers forgetting to switch stuff on etc?
    All that and more. We do pretty much anything and everything that has to do with technology, and making it work from start to finish

Thank Post
    What SLAs are in place or is it reactive?

Thank Post
    I wonder is that PDF got an updated version?
    1 tech per 150 pcs on reliable and 1 per 50 on non reliable is mental.

Here we have 3 vs 800+ reliable and in fact getting rid of our NVQ techs actually helped things because they got fixed by qualified staff and not some little student who wants to play cannon fodder

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    1 tech (me) 1 network admin around 350computers and 80 laptops

Thank Post
    1 Technician (Me!)
    7 Primary School
    10 Servers
    100 pcs
    350 laptops
    and 250 netbooks

Thank Post
    2 half time teachers / technicians (me and colleague) supporting
    +- 280 pcs
    10 servers
    15 printers
    20 projectors
    110 teachers and staff
    710 pupils

Thank Post
    Just me (IT Engineer/Network Manager, depending on what the school feel like calling me!)
    370+ machines
    18 servers
    48 projectors
    30 printers
    50+ IP phones
    110 staff
    620 students
    oh and anything else with a plug/battery (such as electronic door locks!)

Thank Post
    Im here all by myself, i do have a support company i can turn to if needed, i dont for the most part any more, ive got the system working mostly as i want it.

500+ machines (PC's and Laptops)
    4 servers going to be 5 soon
    about 52 projectors and the same of IWB's
    31 networked printers plus a few stand alone
    850 students
    about 70 staff i think, not sure on that, AD has more than we have due to old ones not beeing taken off (befor i started)

Also got the sims bit to look after, though i dont have access to the server there without a member of the support company beeing there
    1 server
    12+ machines
    9 printers
    2 MFP'S connected to the network
    1 MFP as a stand alone

Ive got everything ready for IP phones whenever they want, with a few ajustments needed

next thing is to go Live@Edu with skydrive if i can get the students documents to sync automatically with there skydrive

Thank Post
    Where I am we have 2 Members of staff (me the technician and a network manager) to look after:

7 Servers
    567 PCs/Laptops
    71 Printers
    9 IWB
    55 Projectors
    43 Switches
    24 WAPS
    The visualisers still need to be counted...not to mention it's a school so theres SIMS and roughly 1250-1300 users to add to that equation

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    1 tech (me) 1 network admin around 350computers and 80 laptops
    This is now 120 laptops and near 400 computers and 6 servers couple of NAS and slowly decreasing number of printers out with the old in with fewer new, Oh and half a dozen IPads. I'm more experienced now but January last year this was my first job out of uni BSc Computer Science which realy isn't about tech support and not a single module or mention of networking or server managment so learning on the job
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 24th January 2012 at 08:33 AM.

Thank Post
    LOL. I have two schools, 650 desktops, 30 servers (including our district Powerschool servers), 60 network printers, 40 netbooks in one. 450 desktops and 8 servers in the other. Wireless network in both. Between my two schools I average about 100 new desktops per year. I am also the wireless and Cisco guy for our district (18 high schools, central office and three smaller sites). Total IT staff for my two schools? Me! For our entire district, we have 9 IT staff plus a couple who come to help once in a blue moon. Add to that we have a contractual 7 hour work day and no paid overtime. Loads of work but at least the pay is very good.

Thank Post
    3 technicians for about 1100 users and 600 computers, however one of the technicians spends more than half of his time offsite at other schools we support, and another is used as a supply teacher (again only available about half the time), there often is only one technician available on site.

many enterprise environments would consider 1 tech to 50 users to be insufficient.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1 NM and 1 not quite full-time technician here for about 300 machines now, plus about 12 servers (which will eventually reduce down to 3 physical servers with virtual servers atop them), 40 printers, 30+ IWBs, Voip phone system, plus the sound and lighting for drama and the hall.
    Last edited by localzuk; 3rd December 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Thank Post
    I was going to post a thread like this, so this is very timely.

We have 30 virtual servers on three virtual hosts, 3 physical boxes, around 1050 student computers (the vast majority wireless) and 150 staff computers (wired and wireless). We handle everything computer related in the school.

There are currently three of us and I am finding it is nowhere near enough.

I'd love to know how others manage as all we are essentially doing at the moment is firefighting with more or less constant interruption. This presents a real problem when I need to take time out to, for example, plan a VMWare migration or Exchange migration, or investigate Server 2012 or Windows 8. I am currently having to investigate SAN replacement and WLAN infrastructure replacement on top of everything else.

What has also happened (as it did with my predecessor) is that I am the network guru and my technicians do all the desktop and day to day stuff. The consequence of this is that if I leave or something happens to me my technicians will only be able to keep things ticking over until there is a big network problem (VMWare, switch failure, SAN failure, etc) as they never deal with it (as they are flat out doing all the desktop and day to day stuff).

We desperately need more staff (and the school is intent on expanding further, including opening a sixth form and recruiting more staff) but it remains to be seen whether anyone will be brought in.

Thank Post
    with technically 3 technicians (due to the fact that 1 supports most 8 local primary's who each get half a day a week and another is also a supply teacher I am often the only available technician) and 600 computers, the volume of work is handled easily, firefighting is my primary responsibility, I usually respond to about 20 issues a day, ranging from forgotten passwords and power not turned on, to incorrect cabling, printer issues, hardware failures and various other issues, most of which take less than 5 minutes to resolve.

I have time to learn and understand the workings of the network, and we cross train each other, so no-one is indispensable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast