+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, Continued Profesional Development in Technical; Hi, I work as an ICT Technician in primary schools, I have profesional development coming up very shortly. Does anyone ...
    Thank Post

Smile Continued Profesional Development

Hi,

I work as an ICT Technician in primary schools, I have profesional development coming up very shortly.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to suggest/ qualifications to do?

Thank Post
    Would be interested in replies to this, usually if targets are mentioned in the meetinmg they are usually paying the mortgage and getting through to the end of that particular half term!

Thank Post
    A+, MCP, N+, MCSA, take your pic. I guess a good start would be the A+, it's relatively simple and usefull for your enviroment. Most techs have it, want it or are above that level. It's industry recognised and cross platform supposedly. quite easy to get. cost about 100 or 200 quid so well with in CPD budgets usually.

Thank Post
    I went for a CCNA. Useful at work for finding faults and optimising the network since my networking skills/knowledge weren't the best.

Also a good certificate/qualification to have under the belt since it is known world-wide.

Thank Post
    TBH the Comptia stuff is very good... they all good good on your CV and are well worth it.

CompTIA Network+

MCSA rather than MCSE defo, even just passing one M$ exam gets you a MCP and a shiny certificate.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that everybody. I will look into them also.

What about targets to suggest for myself for example progression to other roles.

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    I would also suggest ITIL or FITS. You don't state if you work alone or not, but how about the NVQ 2 in Team Leading and/or Customer Service.

Technical skills are great, but never under-estimate your soft skills.

If you already have a level 3 qualification and the required experience, you may want to consider the ICTTech credential from the ECUK via the IET or membership into the BCS working towards the CITP (Chartered status).

-ken

Thank Post
    What projects have you thought of that would benefit the school, but you never have time to do?

Set one as a target.

For example:

1) Offsite backups (small cab + nas box in physically remote building + monthly tapes to Iron Mountain)

2) Network monitoring - Nagios, Cacti, Zenoss, Groundworks, WhatsUp, The Dude, PacketFence. It ensures proactive problem-solving, often before end-users are aware of the problem, makes you aware of the problems (if you use remote notification) so you can come in 1/2hr early rather than walking in to bedlam and makes you look reasonably omnipotent.

3) Decent documentation. Yes, no-one likes writing it, but it needs to be done.

4) Data protection. Whole umbrella of projects here - centralised logging, ids, auditing.

5) Take time to learn something new well.

etc

Thank Post
    I work with one other person. my line manager.

Thank Post
    Don't forget to think a little 'outside the box'. Our College has a policy of continuing professional development (pushed by me!!). I allready have CCNA, A+, DCSE, ADCT, and some MS quals, so to be different I'm doing business management.

It's been a little different and I've had to think a bit more. IT comes to me easy, this is more of a challenge!

Next year I want VCP or CCNA Voice, they sound like fun!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itguy22 View Post
    Hi,

I work as an ICT Technician in primary schools, I have profesional development coming up very shortly.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to suggest/ qualifications to do?
    Getting a well known Certified qualification, will that be acceptable by your employer. (you dont say if you work for a school or a comapny that works in schools)

Not every school will send you on some type of Microsoft course, to see you use this to seek another job.

I would look for something that would give you an advantage in your current role or benefit the school, and still have something you can take with you when you leave, if you leave.
    what does the school not have and would be nice to have: Apple Macs, what do you send away for repair that you might be able to do yourself and get a certification for it and still benefit the school like a Printer Repair Course CERTIFIED, You could already do cabling but a Fibre Installation course... i could go on...

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. Do you know any places or type of places that do these sort of 'shot courses'

ITGuy22

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread