+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Learning Network Manager Thread, Switches and patch panels in Technical; Yep, that's right...
    Thank Post
    Yep, that's right

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JOrdan01070 View Post
    Little Miss do you have a cheap cable tester that you use, also is it cabled up behind the port in the patch panel
    If you don't something like IN04457 from CPC should do the trick.

A tone set (as typically used for telephone wiring) can also be useful in tracking down miswiring. e.g. IN05154 also from CPC.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Right, so found my Cable tester.

So shall i just plug the remote bit into the class room and plug the main bit into empty ports until i see life?!
    You might want to do it the other way around. Plug the "sender" unit in a the classroom end and use the unit with all the LEDs at the patch panel end. Then you can just go through the patch panel sockets until something lights up.

Anyway whoever put the wiring in should have tested it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sweet!

Thank Post
    One of the classrooms has a double network socket, one live socket the other not. The way that the one is labelled and the other isnt makes me think that this was on purpose.
    I've visited the cab and have found that it has a patch cable already in place from the switch to the panel, but there are no lights flashing or what not.

I tried another cable but the no avail, the second from the socket is happily flashing away. Now is this a problem i can sort or do i need to get link2ict in?

Cab newbie!!

being a cable installer this made me smile, school children seem to have a need to rip labels off the front of network sockets if there within range of there little hands,

if the cable is there, and is plugged into the switch - but there are no lights that would tell me there is nothing plugged in at the other end, or the cable has been broken.

test it with a simple set of cable testers, if you get all your lights then the socket works, if you dont get all your lights, unscrew the faceplate in the classroom and look to see if it looks like it has been pulled away from the cable, if so you will need to re-terminate the cable with a cat5e punch down tool (you can buy these from maplins)

q[^.^]p good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustComm View Post
    being a cable installer this made me smile, school children seem to have a need to rip labels off the front of network sockets if there within range of there little hands,
    secondry kids and teachers do this too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thing is they're not stickers, they're little bits of paper in the plastic slots so i cant realy see a kid doing it but you never know.

Well, i got round to testing the one socket with the issue, just to see what happened. stuck the cable tester in, lots of pretty lights. It cycled through and from what i can remember on the remote bit it missed out 1 and 7.....which meant nothing to me....so i've rang Link2ICT....i've got insurance on the damn things and dont have the time to be faffing unfortunately!

Thank Post
    if you have insurance its best to leave the cables to the engineers. We have just had a new build and our cabling is still under warranty/insurance and would be made void if messed with, apparently. Would've loved to fiddle with it though

9. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

Little-Miss (18th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thing is they're not stickers, they're little bits of paper in the plastic slots so i cant realy see a kid doing it but you never know.

Well, i got round to testing the one socket with the issue, just to see what happened. stuck the cable tester in, lots of pretty lights. It cycled through and from what i can remember on the remote bit it missed out 1 and 7.....which meant nothing to me....so i've rang Link2ICT....i've got insurance on the damn things and dont have the time to be faffing unfortunately!
    In the cabling you almost certainly have, wires 1 and 7 form a circuit and not getting a light means there's no circuit, so there's your problem. But by now you've sorted it, I'm sure

Thank Post
    Had that in one of my schools, I think it was set as a standard set down for them somewhere (before I started) that they should always run two cables...which they did, terminated them both with plugs at the cabinet end and as they only wanted to use one at the room end...they snipped the spare one off short so it can't be used! So a right snakes nest at the server end and only half the cables appear at the sockets! Was a nightmare to find out where it all went.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12