+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Stopping local laptop users installing software in Technical; Is there a way? I've been having a play with the Local GPO's on the staff laptops and i want ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Stopping local laptop users installing software

Is there a way?

I've been having a play with the Local GPO's on the staff laptops and i want to stop them being able to install software. At the moment i get a box up warning the user that things wont install properly if they dont have the right user rights. I selected the user and it started to install. What did i miss..

t_h
    Thank Post
    You need to deny the account they log in with local administrator rights. Are the laptops joined to a domain? and are you using Windows XP?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    it is windows XP and they do have a domain account...i've set the user up as restricted.

Thank Post
    The most effective way is to ensure that no user (except domain admins) have admin rights on the laptop itself.

This way, only software that is written for 'users' will ever install - and even then, it would have to install inside the users' local profile or any other area of the hard disk to which they can write.

You could use local GPOs to do this as well - but the problem is that if you lock it down too much, the local administrator also gets hit by it.

We got around this in the very early days of XP on our site by using NT4's Poledit locally with the updated .ADM files.

This meant all users could be locked down tight, except the local admin account.

While that would be horrible to do these days - this was before we even had a Win 2000 Server, let alone 2003/2008.

Years and years and years ago.

Az

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    You could use local GPOs to do this as well - but the problem is that if you lock it down too much, the local administrator also gets hit by it.
    Yup, found that out myself

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why does it matter? Typically, it's because you want to stop people messing up the laptop and then you have to waste time fixing it.

It may be better to take another approach but you will need management agreement. You then basically let staff do what they want but with the proviso that if the machine stops working (for any reason - misuse, misfortune etc) then you will wipe and reinstall. If you've got an image for the machine it's pretty quick to do that.

If you go down this route then you need to make sure you've got an easy way for users to backup their data. For example, you might give them an icon which they click when plugged into the network that uses something like robocopy to sync with a network share

If you try and lock down the machine you will get some people asking "why?" If the answer is "so you can't break it" then you're opening yourself up to nightmares when the machine breaks (and it's not the user's fault) - they'll then say "you must fix it" because you told them it was unbreakable.

There's a whole mass of software which is legal and justifiable even if you're taking the view that the computer can only be used for work; if you don't let staff install it themselves then you're going to have to do it for them which just makes more unnecessary work for you - something that you really want to avoid :-)

7. Thanks to srochford from:

Little-Miss (22nd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    very good point...

My head did agree that they shouldnt be able to install programs.

Before i joined the school the laptops were open to abuse and so now the staff are suffering...basically they'd take them home, let their kids use them...kids install whatever they liked and i end up with the machine thats full of viruses and refuses to do anything...

They are going to be imaged, have a domain logon and i was giving them a local logon one for use when at home. I then couldnt decide how to allow them to drag their work from the local to the domain so was just going to map them a drive...
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 22nd September 2009 at 09:36 PM.

Thank Post
    The other point is having staff install stuff like lime-wire etc and downloading shed loads of stuff inc. the associated viruses and then bringing them all into the School's network. Where do we stand on software that is unlicensed as well as downloaded and illegal music.

10. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    most of the stuff that staff want will install in "c:\program files" so if you either make sure that they are not a 'power user' or 'administrator' then they should not have permission to write there. or just take away the permissions to write on that directory, but making them standard users is a cleaner way of doing it.

Thank Post
    Have you thought about MS SteadyState?

Install it in the local admin account and if i remember correctly you can manage all the other local user accounts and set options to deny installing programs for each of these accounts.

13. Thanks to carni from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did have a quick look at steadystate...and wasnt sure if it was right for what i needed. Will look properly.

Welcome by the way!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    We don't allow access to the network (apart from internet access) from teachers laptops as people have openly discussed before it is an accident waiting to happen.

They are standalone units which we give admin access to and the teachers can do what they wish with them within the confines of normal use which covers installation of anything they wish and when they fill it full of virus they bring it to us and we re-image it takes 5 mins and hey presto back up and running.

They can get internet access from within the school but that is all nothing else.
    So far it works really well and we don't get that many problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Argh, this is one of my downfalls in IT....there are so many ways to do one thing and i cant make decisions!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    We've just changed over from bossman's scenario to a synched system whereby they look like they are on the network whether they are or not - basically because our system denied them access to their own C drive if they were on the network and they got cross because they couldnt access their stuff. We never mapped them a drive as they could install goodness knows what on their machines and I didnt want it on my server.
    What they dont know, yet, is that they now cant install any programs!! Or change the desktop. This way they remember it is a school machine and not their own personal one, and it keeps rubbish and viruses off my server...
    The simple answer is put them on the network and lock 'em down, or keep them off it and let them do what they like

18. Thanks to witch from:

Little-Miss (23rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Have you looked into whether your virus killer can stop this?

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection, and it is configured such that EXEs can't be run from any removable drive, and users are not local admins. It doesn't stop everything, but it helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast