+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, User has no icons in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael I would do it manually as and when required. I wouldn't recommend scripting it. You're then ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would do it manually as and when required. I wouldn't recommend scripting it. You're then in full control.
    Actually, so would I - it shouldn't be a problem too often, and you don't have that many machines anyway, do you?

Thinking about it, I don't use it in my current jobs but in my last one it was set as start-up, as elsiegee said., not log on or off

2. Thanks to witch from:

Little-Miss (16th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hmm, getting close to 100 machines, not including staff laptops but does include the netbooks but they dont belong to a single person.

Well ive currently only deployed the script to the couple of machines in my room so i could keep an eye on them. Maybe i should just stick to manual...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Do yours do that everytime Elsie?
    Profile corruption is inconsistent and I can go months without it happening here. Having googled about this problem, although not recently, it appears that it is the same everywhere It is simply observation over time that has led to my conclusion that multiple logons don't help. As for my profile, I have no idea why it corrupted the other morning... I obviously forgot to pray to the correct deity that morning!

You should be EXTREMELY careful including delprof or any script based methods of deleting profiles at logoff. Remember teachers may typically logon to their laptops on the domain, and this would delete their local profile and their documents!
    Michael is of course right. Thanks to careful use of AD OUs, delprof is only used on desktops (not laptops) and is never used on the office PCs.

The office users only use the PC on their desk and don't logon to multile machines, so I've never had a profile corruption with these people... (Famous last words!)

Thank Post
    I wouldn't simply because our 'typical' user will try on around 5 or 6 computers in 2 or 3 different areas and just forget where she did this.

The dirty profile will then just hang around until it finds her again.

Maybe you could just activate it for the afternoon/morning after someone reports a corupt profile? (Apply the gpo and shutdown all the pc's at night it will ensure it's run on startup in the morning, you can then remove the gpo again), you could even go as far as only activating it in the rooms that have issues.

and/or

Modify the script so you can add the username of the profile you want deleted? and just leave that active for 24 hours?

6. Thanks to mossj from:

Little-Miss (17th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh, good ideas Mossj...i like it...

Happened again, on the pc i have opposite me (which has the script applied) User logged on, no background no icons. She'd tried to log off and it hung. so i rebooted the PC and it worked fine. Starting to get annoyed with this profile thing!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Oh, good ideas Mossj...i like it...

Happened again, on the pc i have opposite me (which has the script applied) User logged on, no background no icons. She'd tried to log off and it hung. so i rebooted the PC and it worked fine. Starting to get annoyed with this profile thing!
    Maybe you should think about Mandatory Profiles before your network gets bigger. I don't think they suffer from the same issues....

9. Thanks to mossj from:

Thank Post
    We get mess when people get to a PC that is locked and just switch it off and on so they can login - leaving a local profile that then gets in the way when the original user logs in on that PC again - irritating - but can't find a solution - its a people thing not a computer one.

11. Thanks to SpuffMonkey from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    For pupils I usually set them up with a single, pre-configured mandatory profile. From Year 2 upwards they have their own individual logon names. This allows teachers to monitor pupil progress and over time, pupils have a portfolio of work when they leave in Year 6 to secondary school.

Staff on the other hand usually have their own profiles, but again, pre-configured by myself to minimise problems.

If by chance a user profile becomes corrupt (for whatever reason), the really simple solution is to give the new profile a unique name, such as "jbloggs1", "jbloggs2" within Active Directory. Naming the profile differently will ignore the existing old profile (possibly cached on workstations), which was named just "jbloggs".

You'll also find inevitably that workstations will require re-imaging due to corruption or users incorrectly shutting down machines, so in the process cached profiles will be deleted anyway.

13. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    If by chance a user profile becomes corrupt (for whatever reason), the really simple solution is to give the new profile a unique name, such as "jbloggs1", "jbloggs2" within Active Directory. Naming the profile differently will ignore the existing old profile (possibly cached on workstations), which was named just "jbloggs".
    Are you sure this would work as profiles under document and settings are saved under our usernames....

E.G when I logon my profile folder on the machine is "mossj", but on the server it is "mossjPROFILE"

For pupils I usually set them up with a single, pre-configured mandatory profile. From Year 2 upwards they have their own individual logon names. This allows teachers to monitor pupil progress and over time, pupils have a portfolio of work when they leave in Year 6 to secondary school.
    who was talking about logins/usernames?

from what I read/understand (on this forum) with a Madatory profile you can still have seperate logins but the users profile is always the same as a master copy, hence it cannot currupt...

http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.ph...atory_Profiles
    Creating a small mandatory profile
    Last edited by mossj; 17th September 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Are you sure this would work as profiles under document and settings are saved under our usernames....
    Yes you can have usernames and profiles named differently.

My username could by jbloggs and my profile could be jbloggs1234, so this would read:

\\SERVERNAME\PROFILES$\jbloggs1234

My home directory would have to read (as a recommendation):

\\SERVERNAME\jbloggs$

Thank Post
    Yes you can have usernames and profiles named differently.

My username could by jbloggs, my profile could be jbloggs1234, so this would read:

\\SERVERNAME\PROFILES$\jbloggs1234

My home directory would have to read (as a recommendation):

\\SERVERNAME\jbloggs$
    Yes but we are not talking about on the server, we are talking local machine. Your profile on the local machine would still be "c:\documents and settings\jbloggs" or does it overwrite the existing locally saved profile?
    Last edited by mossj; 17th September 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just so you know, staff roaming...kids mandatory...

Thank Post
    the users profile is always the same as a master copy, hence it cannot currupt...
    There are various methods to deploy/use, roaming/local, standard/mandatory profiles.

Yes but we are not talking about on the server
    In a network environment the server usually plays a big role in profiles. Roaming profiles (for example) would be stored in a profiles$ share.

Within Active Directory if you changed the profile name from:

\\SERVERNAME\PROFILES$\jbloggs to
    \\SERVERNAME\PROFILES$\jbloggs2

Then created/copied a profile within Profiles$ named jbloggs2, the computer you're logging onto would ignore existing profiles named jbloggs and download the new/updated profile named jbloggs2.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Sorry Little-Miss, I didn't mean to imply that your network was small and insignificant, all I meant was that hopefully as the corruption doesnt happen often, and you don't have a school of 500-odd machines, you wouldnt come across it too often and so it wouldnt be such a big thing to delete the profiles manually occasionally!
    However, you seem to have a bit of a bigger than usual problem. Did someone else set up the profiles?
    I have looked at our system and one school definitely has delprof running when the computers shut down at night. This seems to help a bit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol thats ok Witchy, i didnt take it that way.

The guy who helped with my new DC install set them up. They set up the same way Michael has mentioned. \\SERVERNAME\PROFILES$

im getting a little worried

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast