+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, How to allow laptop users to sync to server in Technical; I'm almost at a stage where i can start sorting the staff laptops. I've done a few things in preparation, ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How to allow laptop users to sync to server

I'm almost at a stage where i can start sorting the staff laptops.

I've done a few things in preparation, but would like a kind of check list to make sure ive got everything right.

I've created an OU for Laptop staff...
    I have a folder for their profiles..
    I have a feeling i have to do something like go to the CP on the laptop, users, manage Passwords then add them there....is that right?
    Make sure offline files is on...

Have i forgotten something fundermental? Got something wrong?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I would strongly suggest you switch offline files off if you are using XP clients. It is waaay more hassle than it's worth.

I've always given each user a local account with some additional power to use at home and domain account to use at work, and strict instructions that they are responsible for backups.

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Little-Miss (14th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So...offline files off...set them up a local account....do the files sync over to the server then or do you just get them to do it manually?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also switch offline files off. Teachers have a mapped drive to their own area on the server where they manually backup.

6. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Staff will have to manage their own files - I've found a cheap, school-issued USB disk makes a good carrot. This is where "your files aren't back up if they're not on the network" really starts to matter.

8. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    We created a folder called local docs on the root of C, then added a shortcut for all users on the desktop to the folder so when they are away from a network or not using remote access (TS) they save all the work into the folder. But they have to back it up onto the network or loose it if the drives goes

10. Thanks to smadison from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah, i suppose i was being a bit too adventurous and making more work for myself. Thanks guys.

So my best bet is to set them up a local account with some admin rights and put a shortcut to their home drive for them to back things up themselves?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    So my best bet is to set them up a local account with some admin rights and put a shortcut to their home drive for them to back things up themselves?
    I'd say so. Oh a good thing would be to include something about backing up in your AUP (if you have one). Ours states that users are responsible for backing up to the server, if they don't and lose it all its their fault.

13. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    We did similar at my previous place.

Rather than use local logons, we used their domain one but blocked inheritence of policies and did it ourselves but the upshot was that we had their documents and desktop held locally and provided a script to back it up onto their home directory on the network.

We figured meeting them halfway was OK plus we knew that it wasn't going to be back up the cruft we didn't want like their temporary internet files and cookies or personal music collections!

15. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, see that was my biggest worry, them filling the laptop up with crap and software. Suppose one thing would be to put it in there AUP and get them to sign it saying they wont...

I'm afraid everything you said went over my head Kmount....still learning all this policy nonsense....i understood the words...but dont understand how it works...

Thank Post
    Don't worry, you can ignore the policy stuff if its not applicable to you.

If you put a folder on their C drive called "My Documents" and a shortcut to this on their desktop using a local logon if you want, a little script can be written to copy everything rom C:\My Documents to H:\ (whatever letter their home directory is when they're connected to the network).

18. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    oooh now that sounds more like it....where would i get this script and where would i put it? Would they still need a local and domain login...?

Sorry to be thick...but im SLOWLY starting to get my head around this stuff...

Thank Post
    It depends how many people you're looking at doing this for as to whether you persevere and work out how to use the domain accounts or create them a local account (in addition to their domain one) with the same username/password which if I remember rightly be enough to trick it into mapping drives without asking for domain credentials. (My place we used domain accounts no local ones so can't confirm... can someone else?)

If you're more comfortable giving them a local logon and putting a logon script in their "Startup" folder to map their drives etc that's fine you just need to remember that if anything changes on the network, a new server, or new mapped drive you'd need to do it on all of the machines separately unless you have another way.

The scripts pretty straight forward, I'll dig it out but it's effectively robocopy "C:\My Documents\*" "H:\My Backup" /MIR with some arguments to only make it try once to do a file before giving up (if its open/access denied/whatever) (I'm not on a windows machine at the moment, drop me a reminder tomorrow and I'll see what I have).

I'm sure powdarrmonkey and sparkeh amongst others will have loads of good ideas of what they do in their schools and between us all we'll help you learn and build something that works for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks that would be great.

I'm not planning on changing things for a while now! New server went in this summer and it'll stay there for a few years!...unless something unplanned happens.... (touching lots of wood!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    or create them a local account (in addition to their domain one) with the same username/password which if I remember rightly be enough to trick it into mapping drives without asking for domain credentials.
    Our local accounts have mapped drives that use domain accounts to authenticate. Just tick the option to reconnect each time and its seamless.

23. Thanks to sparkeh from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast