+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Learning Network Manager Thread, How to allow laptop users to sync to server in Technical; Originally Posted by kmount The scripts pretty straight forward, I'll dig it out but it's effectively robocopy "C:\My Documents\*" "H:\My ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    The scripts pretty straight forward, I'll dig it out but it's effectively robocopy "C:\My Documents\*" "H:\My Backup" /MIR with some arguments to only make it try once to do a file before giving up (if its open/access denied/whatever) (I'm not on a windows machine at the moment, drop me a reminder tomorrow and I'll see what I have).
    That's almost exactly what I've started to roll out here in the new laptop image. there's a folder on the C: drive called CpsWork where the staff are instructed to save anything they want backing up, then a script in the "All users" "startup" group to (robo)copy everything to a share I set up specially on the server called LaptopBackup. the script is "robocopy c:\cpswork \\servername\%computername% /r:0 /w:0 /s /mir" - using the %computername% means it works straight off the image

There's no reason why you couldn't use this to sync to a folder on their home drive - apart from if I'd done that here the server would have fallen over with all the extra data....

Thank Post
    Yep, that's pretty much exactly what ours was minus the automatic running.

We had some exclusions such as *.TMP, Temporary Internet Files etc that we didn't want cludging the back up up with as we were backing up their 'profile' in effect with everything that had been redirected which included cookies etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12